Darkness - FWLR (Trap/Drumstep/HARDASFUK)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meet my new single Darkness - a trap/drumstep hybrid that goes really efffin' hard. It actually started out as a joke song I was making when my girlfriend and her friend Laura were in my studio. We were playing around with Laura's voice but as I built the song up I realized that the track was going in a totally different direction from the original funny vibes (sorry Laura... I'll use those samples some day!). When I saw the video of Benedict Cumberbatch filming the dragon sequence from The Hobbit and he said "a darkness is coming" I just HAD to sample it. Then things got really out of hand and a couple days later I had the 100+ tracks of sound design insanity that it is now. Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/fwlrmusic/darkness1

yeah its real effin hard. to the point where its distorted as f*^&. but i guess thats the targeted sound for that genre. I'll stick to good old electro.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Funny how distortion plugins will do that haha

I actually think this is really well done! The sound design is what you'd expect for the genre, but it's done very well and the occasional triplet fills help break it up a bit. My biggest qualm is the lack of dynamic differences between the sections. You can go for the crushed, limited sound for the big drops, but I'd advise at least putting a volume plugin early in your mastering chain and turning the volume down for the quieter parts. Right now it gets a little fatiguing and makes the drops less powerful, even with the "everything going quiet except for the vocal sample" trope happening.

Hey man thanks for the feedback and I can definitely see where you're coming from. It is pretty damn hard on the ears at loud volumes so a break would probably be welcomed.

Return to “Music Cafe”