Axe-FX vs amp sims

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Agreed wrote: Amplitube 2 ----> Amplitube 4, I do think best results come from having a really great instrument input.
That's what I thought.. but I've tried everything from a 100€ basic soundcard and it's crappy Hi-Z input to a 5000€+ setup consisting of top of the line preamp -> prism AD conversion -> Amplitube setup. Both sounded equally crappy and had the same weird "weak" sound and nasty mids/high-mids.

There's just something about Amplitube that doesn't work with me at all. :neutral:

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Uncle E wrote:
bmanic wrote:a few Thermionik amps (I only have 2 packs)
Which packs do you have? I have Modern Classics I and am thinking of getting Sonic Empire I and Vintage Legends I.
I got the Vintage Legends 1 pack and Butique Tones 1. I've also got Modern Classics 1 free due to owning ReCabinet. So yeah, I counted wrong.. I have 3 packs (two purchased, 1 free with old license). :)

zerocrossing wrote: Well, I was going directly into an XITE-1 form the Kemper, but I was switching to an input from a Behringer ADA8200 for the software. I'll try it another way, but I can't imagine there being that much of a difference.
You're right, probably not all that much. The ADA8200 is way better than people give it credit for.

jbraner wrote:
Have you tried any Ownhammer IRs? I like these a lot better than the Redwirez ones.
No, I haven't tried these yet but this is now the 3rd time somebody endorses Ownhammer and say that they are superior to the Redwirez ones.

The problem is that I have so damn many impulses already that it takes me literally a month to go through them all, so purchasing new impulses at 15$ a pack is a bit hard to justify at the moment.

I'm still waiting for Acustica Audio Nebula technology to mature a bit more (waiting for Nebula 4) and for people to start sampling using that system. At the moment though I think I'm set.

Kazrog wrote:Hey guys,

I just want to say, I appreciate all the kind words about Thermionik (I'm the developer.)

<snip>

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to visit my forum, or reply to this thread (I'll be following it.)
I've got the demo installed, going to mess with it some today. Do old Recabinet users still have access to the modern Recabinet plugin, or was there some version in between that I'd need to have bought? I really enjoyed what you were doing with Recabinet, looking forward to sitting down with Thermionik amps later today to see what's up.

Making any music lately? Still have that Backmask album! :party:
bmanic wrote:
Agreed wrote: Amplitube 2 ----> Amplitube 4, I do think best results come from having a really great instrument input.
That's what I thought.. but I've tried everything from a 100€ basic soundcard and it's crappy Hi-Z input to a 5000€+ setup consisting of top of the line preamp -> prism AD conversion -> Amplitube setup. Both sounded equally crappy and had the same weird "weak" sound and nasty mids/high-mids.

There's just something about Amplitube that doesn't work with me at all. :neutral:

Cheers!
bManic
Yeah, I dunno man - maybe we have some other gestalt gear preferences that prejudice us toward this or that. Pickups, or output, or something... I dunno! I'm just glad it's 2016 and we have, really, quite a few very good options that can do the trick if the trick really is just getting a great guitar sound recorded. What gets me is when that is not the trick, and I feel suddenly sad that there isn't a Good Song Idea Sim out there... :oops:

bmanic wrote:
jbraner wrote:
Have you tried any Ownhammer IRs? I like these a lot better than the Redwirez ones.
No, I haven't tried these yet but this is now the 3rd time somebody endorses Ownhammer and say that they are superior to the Redwirez ones.

The problem is that I have so damn many impulses already that it takes me literally a month to go through them all, so purchasing new impulses at 15$ a pack is a bit hard to justify at the moment.

I'm still waiting for Acustica Audio Nebula technology to mature a bit more (waiting for Nebula 4) and for people to start sampling using that system. At the moment though I think I'm set.
bmanic,
Ownhammer has a free demo you can try - if you want to hear how they sound.
http://www.ownhammer.com/free/v4-demo/

I'm playing with the torpedo wos III now - I think I might start using this. Are you still using it?
Last edited by jbraner on Tue May 10, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Great Hi-Z input should be around: 1 Mohm
If your direct guitars are coming out dull, most of the time is coming from your interface input.
The guitar is Ibanez RG 320 made in Korea with the stock pickups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtH60hI ... e=youtu.be

Dimi, what are you using to monitor these days? Tasty playing as ever!

Currently Logitech speakers....in a few days I'm buying M-Audios or Behringers :)

I want to check out Ik's mini iLounds.

dimitar wrote:Great Hi-Z input should be around: 1 Mohm
If your direct guitars are coming out dull, most of the time is coming from your interface input.
It's the exact opposite with Amplitube. The output from that thing is very harsh and spiky. Nasty nasty stuff between 1.5 and 4kHz.

The guitar is Ibanez RG 320 made in Korea with the stock pickups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtH60hI ... e=youtu.be
On REASON RE (haven't tested the vst again, will do tonight) there is the most obvious strange squeel with high notes (vermilion too) and it's useless until they fix it. Many of us have written about it and they said they'd get on it (confirmed audibly) but nothing.

Oh, forgot to say soundcard, guitar, sample rate, buffer, make ABSOLUTELY NO difference.

EDIT, no problem on VST x64! Good news because this was always one of my favorites.

bmanic wrote:I got the Vintage Legends 1 pack and Butique Tones 1. I've also got Modern Classics 1 free due to owning ReCabinet. So yeah, I counted wrong.. I have 3 packs (two purchased, 1 free with old license). :)
How do you like Vintage Legends 1? Are there enough differences between the amp models to make them all worth owning, especially between the AC30 and AC30TB?

Uncle E - I think there's a big difference between the AC30 and AC30TB.

You know you can make up your own bundles - right? (for the discounted price)
Why not just try out the amps (they all work fine in eval mode) and make up your own bundle of 5? Then you get exactly what you want :wink:
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

bmanic wrote:
It's the exact opposite with Amplitube. The output from that thing is very harsh and spiky. Nasty nasty stuff between 1.5 and 4kHz.
Always was cutting them in the past using it in the mixes. Good catch! :)

Return to “Effects”