New BSS DPR-402 Compressor / Limiter / De-Esser from Waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RhnNt9i_s

Can't say I care about another dynamics processor but the GUI is absolutely beautiful like most Waves GUI's.

Last edited by robotmonkey on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RhnNt9i_s

Can't say I care about another dynamics processor but the GUI is absolutely beautiful like most Waves GUI's.
after DBX160 another amazing sounding processor. this think sounds sick

This is sounding really good on the drum buss. Working quite well on individual piano and synth bass channels too. Might be a keeper.

Finally there's a detailed walkthrough. Seems very clean, precise sounding. A decent workhorse I would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ftjPaQcsw

I used the 15% Waves discount code that was sent over the weekend at everyplugin.com and got this little beauty for a steal.

I'm gonna wait til it's $29 :D

Hehe, just necromance this thread in 2018 to join the conversation ;-)
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I really *really* like this.. A LOT.

I never thought there'd be a day i'd be singing praises for a waves compressor plugin but that day has come. It's also different sounding to my other dynamics tools so for me it's a must have.

Also it's got frequency defendant compression which is much quicker and easier to use than having to set up a multiband just to use one specific band of it. I also got unusual but very respectable results out of the de-esser. This is NOT ren deesser in another skin. You have to use it very delicately though but it takes the harshness out of sibilants without killing the top end.

TheoM wrote:I really *really* like this.. A LOT.

I never thought there'd be a day i'd be singing praises for a waves compressor plugin but that day has come. It's also different sounding to my other dynamics tools so for me it's a must have.

Also it's got frequency defendant compression which is much quicker and easier to use than having to set up a multiband just to use one specific band of it. I also got unusual but very respectable results out of the de-esser. This is NOT ren deesser in another skin. You have to use it very delicately though but it takes the harshness out of sibilants without killing the top end.
Yeah certainly not a Ren Deeser, I think most folks have that kind of thing wrong about Waves.

Oh of course I expect to see some code reuse come up from time to time, perhaps there's a C1 or Ren Compressor as one of the circuits in H-Comp for example. Or perhaps there are components that make up parts of the Signature series. Waves certainly doesn't go around giving old code new skins and selling it as a different product.

I haven't tried the BSS myself, I only know a bit about the plugin and the original unit after doing a bit or research on it.

Michael White does a bit of a thorough walk through on a YouTube vid, that was quite informative.

I'd say it has a slight transistor sound about it, but it's not a bad thing at all, not in my books. I think it contributes to aiding against high frequency loss while compressing. Aids, but doesnt prevent entirely.

It certainly seems to be a flexible little beastie, a problem solver in some respects.

We all have different tastes, this leads to different preferences in our plugins and processing methods. Everyone doesn't have to like the same thing, but if they don't like something don't make it about who's badge comes on a plugin, make it about features, or DAW integration, or emulation model, or cost... Something more substantial than straight prejudism anyway.

At least you can admit to yourself, TheoM,that it is possible to like something for its merits and not just disregard it because of the badge that comes on it. You're a bigger person than most.

If i like a plugin, the badge or price has absolutely nothing to do with me giving an honest opinion on the plug in itself.

I even say some of crysonic's plugins sound good (and they are, rightfully so, the most hated dev at KVR).
Basically if i think something sounds good i will say it and vice versa.

If i can afford it and it does something sufficiently well, with a different vibe to it than other products i already have, i'll go for it.

I have 3 waves comps in my arsenal now (well 2 so far), i am actually really happy with : Pie, DBX and this when I buy it before weekend finishes.
Stuff I own and am so so about but can use them: 2500 and C1/C4/C6 (problem is it pales compared to say pro MB), Ren Comp/Vox/Axe

Waves dynamics i really don't like at *all*: CLA all, puigchild, H Comp, SSL all, V Series, One Knob Pressure (ugh it is SO bad), all the artist one knob comps, EMO (what a let down), all their limiters, and everything else i haven't mentioned. Overall I do not like the majority of wave's dynamics plugins.

I think they have stepped up their game with the DBX and the 402 - the pie is an old ish release but was somewhat of an unexpected surprise for me.. i *only* use it on certain sub groups, but it's great for that.

Anyway i can recommend the 402 without hesitation, so if you don't like the ones i like and prefer the ones i don't like, then we have different taste. If you agree with my waves dynamics choices, then i think you will really like this too.

PS Ren De esser isn't all that bad and probably a landmark for it's day, problem with it is that there is no control over the release.. sometimes it just decides to let go in the middle of a sibilant. For quick spikey "spits", it's just fine though.

My own snobbery against this one is because of it being a BSS DPR-402. Maybe it goes to show that an excellent emulation of a mediocre piece of hardware is better than a bad emulation of an excellent piece of hardware.

Uncle E wrote:My own snobbery against this one is because of it being a BSS DPR-402. Maybe it goes to show that an excellent emulation of a mediocre piece of hardware is better than a bad emulation of an excellent piece of hardware.
hmm i've never used the real one of these, but i've seen a couple at ebay for not much more than the plugin, so it was yes indeed, obviously not a high end piece.

nevertheless, it's a really useful plugin, seriously.

Have you tried the plugin?

What a gorgeous plug! Makes me wish I was still VST.

Not yet, I can't bring myself to do it. ;)

Uncle E wrote:Not yet, I can't bring myself to do it. ;)

that's ridiculous and you know it :hihi:

Return to “Effects”