Getting started in electronic music production (with hard synths)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[messed with edit/quote :clown: ]

Well,

I bought a JU-06. But its broken :/

I'm trying to figure out what's up with it. I turn it on, then it quickly flashes and immediately turns off. The freq. still stays on. No sound comes out of it at all.

If I hold down the manual switch then turn it on, all the banks blink and the number 50 is in the middle.

I called tech support and they'll send me a new one. So, that's good!

I loved the feel of it though. And once again, thank you all for the amazing advice. I am producing more in FL studio now, and I downloaded Synth1! It's a fun synth.

Thank you,
Porter

IMO the thing with hardware with 450€ is that you won't have many voices, so nothing about pads and more complex sounds...

Jorgeelalto wrote:IMO the thing with hardware with 450€ is that you won't have many voices, so nothing about pads and more complex sounds...
Ultranova and blofeld are around that price and offer a good number of voices.
dedication to flying

Hello,

Well, I returned the whole order for a refund. I re read this thread, and am rethinking things.

I'm happy with my plugins in FL Studio. A producer named Savant had changed my outlook on harmor. So I'm going to really read the manual and figure that out. And I realized, I need a keyboard. Because lately it has been annoying using a computer keyboard to write out notes and figure out music theory on it. So I think I'm going to buy an M-Audio 49 keyboard. That should help me out a lot more.

Other than that, I might buy a launchpad. is the mini any good? The launchpad isn't Essential to my work flow. But it just is sorta of a for fun kind of thing. I just would like to use it as a drum pad and tap out drum loops on it. Maybe play full songs too.

So, yeah! Thank you all for the amazing advice. I decided to just go software for now. Is there anything else I need? I heard about an audio interface? But I have a sound card in my computer already. It's a recon 3D sound blaster. Something like that. But I was thinking instead of a launchpad go for a maschine mikro and get massive in that bundle. But I don't know, maybe headphones are more important. But I feel fine on my studio monitors. I don't really produce with headphones unless if it is quiet.

Thank you all!
Porter

The audio interface is important for its audio drivers, spcially on windows. ASIO drivers, as those used by audio interfaces designed for music production, allow for lower altency and a better use of the computer resources.

As for the KB, well personally I don't like M-audio Keys there are many options also. I personally like that my KBs are also Synths, as the Ultranova for example, that way you cover both needs, and it is always good to have a HW synth.
dedication to flying

Wow, no midi keyboard? That's an absolute priority.
I'd suggest getting a 49 key model.

I got an M-Audio Axiom 25 for my sister once, and it broke immediately, but I was probably just unlucky.

Novation controllers are pretty good, from my experience. I use a ReMote, been using it for many years, which has way too many knobs for me to utilize(and therefore a waste of money, actually), but it's features and utilities are great. I also bought a Novation Launchkey 49 recently, and I was pretty stoked to use it, but one of the features I purchased it specifically for wasn't available outside of Ableton Live(lame move, Novation). That aside, it seems like a good purchase nowadays.

As for the LaunchPad, I'd suggest holding off on that. That's another involved gadget you'll need to learn, alongside aaaaallll the other stuff. In theory it could be a great tool, but in practice, keeping things simple tends to help your productivity and ability to learn. And a little bit of it's features can be emulated with a keyboard like the Launchkey. But that's your call, I wouldn't call it a mistake.

All this said, midi keyboard technology hasn't really done much in a long time, and having the latest-greatest doesn't mean much. Particularly as a newbie. You could check out a few local pawn shops. Or Craigslist, or Ebay. Or anywhere that sells used music gear. You'll find lots and lots of midi controllers for sale. In a way, its kinda like the hardware versus software synth issue all over again: You could buy a new, slick controller... but the price premium isn't buying you much, compared to a used controller. Besides a warranty. So try out searching for a couple notable controller models from a vendor, write those names down, and then search for them used and see what's out there. You could do the same for an Audio Interface.

And speaking of an audio interface, I'm sorry to tell you that most dedicated musicians do not use SoundBlasters of any model. The sound cards they market as 'high end' just don't tend to be good for making music(or much else, IMO).

An audio interface is essentially a beefy, dedicated audio processing box, typically with lots of inputs and outputs, and some software dedicated to it, allowing more expansive signal routing. That can sometimes be pretty important. It also can have a higher quality analog-to-digital converter(and a better DAC too). Usually, the more expensive, the better, assuming basically equal features. But not much better. So It's likely that an Audio Interface will be your third priority, after the headphones and midi controller.

As a newbie, it's not a terrible choice to go relatively cheapo with an audio interface. You can always upgrade. However, if you bought a better quality one, you wouldn't be sorry, and it would probably be with you as a sturdy music companion for many years. In any case, the audio interface features you should aim for, if possible, are a pair of 1/4" inputs and a mic input, and a pair of 1/4" outputs, to accommodate a set of powered reference monitors down the road. And possibly a 5-pin MIDI DIN connection, to accommodate a hardware synth for later. That strikes a balance between cost and long-term capability needs, though not the cheapest option. But I haven't shopped gear in a while.

You could browse these at Sweetwater, whom I've always had good experiences with, or a lot of other music stores, but don't forget to shop used, too, as older audio interfaces are also quite good.

Or you could just make-do with what you've currently got! Hits have been made on SoundBlasters and ASIO4ALL. IF it works, it works.

As for headphones, one of their merits is that they'll portray a pretty accurate sound no matter what, compared to your average, un-treated room. If you're confident with the acoustic treatment of your room, then maybe you don't need them at all. Otherwise, I'd suspect that the speakers & room will lie to you more often than a good set of cans. Not only that, you can memorize their audio profile over time, and take them mobile, allowing you to get a more consistent read on audio in varying circumstances. They can, potentially, be your anchor.

Anyway, I hope down the road you can continue toward your hardware aspiration. But for now, I think you can be confident that these other facets will be important, and worthwhile investments. Both in money, and time.

The Launchpad is intended for Ableton Live. Not sure how well it integrates with FL...

That Maschine Mikro is a good idea. You also get Komplete Select with it. But you have to learn yet another DAW...

Hello,

Thank you all once again. Very awesome advice. :)

So, I think I am going with the M-Audio 49 keyboard. But I will go to my local music shop and see if I can try it out.

Also, an audio interface I looked at is the PreSonus Audiobox. Is that good? It is only $100, and it had the features you listed.

And headphones, I was thinking about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. From the reviews, the sound quality is good on them. I am also considering beats solo2 headphones. But my friend said their really uncomfortable after a long time.

I'll continue to research. Thank you very much. I think though I won't be going with a maschine mikro. I need to put that money into what I just listed above.

Porter

In the lower end marketing of audio latino interfaces the UR22 by Steinberg is one of the best, Steinberg make quite good drivers.
dedication to flying

Do you have an audio interface? You'll need one to get you're synth's output into your DAW. Depending on what synth you choose you may need a MIDI interface as well. Synths like the Bass Station 2 have USB, so you won't need it. Sometimes they are built into the audio interface.

Anyway, that alone could use half of your budget. Why do you want a hardware synth? I'd just get a good Midi keyboard and stick to software until you get a handle on what you're doing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

saplingmusic wrote:So, I think I am going with the M-Audio 49 keyboard. But I will go to my local music shop and see if I can try it out.
Seems a good plan. You'll probably have no problem finding a used Oxygen, they're probably the most common midi keyboard floating around, I'd bet. Good balance of simplicity and basic features.
saplingmusic wrote:Also, an audio interface I looked at is the PreSonus Audiobox. Is that good? It is only $100, and it had the features you listed.
You're going to want to read a couple reviews on that model, I think, because it's possible that there's an important factor not visible on the box. But at first look, seems like it hits all the waypoints. Google the model name + review.

The only visible flaw I can see: Who the heck designs a headphones port on the BACK of the thing? WTF is that. That's straight stupid. But can be dealt with via an extension connection, if it proves to be a pain.
saplingmusic wrote:And headphones, I was thinking about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. From the reviews, the sound quality is good on them.
These are what I presently use. I've given them super-heavy use for a few months, and my complaints aren't huge. The biggest issue I've run into: physically disturbing the headphones cord is very loud in your ears, and hyper-annoying. I don't know why the sound transfers up the cord so well, but you end up going out of your way trying to avoid brushing against it. I find it maddening, but otherwise it's solid.

Good luck with your research. So far, so good.

Hey, so this is what I purchased, and I really love it!

I bought the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. I didn't realize I needed a TRS cable to plug it in with my monitors, so I had to order that but now I've plugged them in and the sound quality is great! So far, I haven't been having any problems, and it works with FL studio.

I bought an M-audio keystation 49. I tried it out at my local music shop and it felt nice to me. It feels SO much better to use a keyboard to make music now. It makes music theory easier to learn too.

Then, I bought the ATH-M40x headphones. They feel comfy and sound nice. I use my monitors more often, but I plan on using my headphones more too.

So far, everything is suiting my needs. On a quick note, I want to listen to Spotify and watch tutorials on youtube, but now my monitors are plugged into the interface, so I can only use it in FL studio. What do I do? Do I plug in the regular cables to listen to music and youtube? Or will the interface work?

Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it. I now will not worry about buying anything for a while, it's off to music production now.

Thank you!
Porter

Some audio ASIO drivers are not multiclient, that's why I recommend Steinber UR interfaces, so only one app can use the at a time. You could try ASIO4all drivers if it doesnt work maybe someone where will have a better solution,.
dedication to flying

saplingmusic wrote:Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it. I now will not worry about buying anything for a while, it's off to music production now.
Excellent! Don't be shy bout posting on whatever.

As for unplugging/etc the audio interface, that should not be necessary. You should be able to use the audio interface with anything/everything you do on the computer. If you're not getting audio in more 'normal' situations, check your windows(?) settings to ensure that your audio interface is regarded as the default audio device.

If that's not the problem, your audio interface manufacturer probably has decent support, or you could go into more detail here and maybe get help.

I'd also agree with Rod that you'll want to try out ASIO4ALL(google it). This will help the troubleshooting process, but it's also a very useful fallback to have when problems inevitably occur. Music production, at least on Windows, can get kinda technical, so things tend to go wrong every now and then. Not something to fret about, it's just a reality of computer music.

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, just try explaining it again. Someone can probably figure it out.

As for your 1/4 inch TRS connection vs RCA connection, that's a bummer. Though, I think most powered reference monitors that you'll see in the average music studio use 1/4" connection, with only a minority of popular musician-oriented speakers using RCA. Likewise, you'll likely see hardware synthesizers and other music gear output via 1/4".
rod_zero wrote:Some audio ASIO drivers are not multiclient,
I've run into this before... But it's not always the case. Wish I kept better track on when & how that happens. But there's still a pretty solid chance that he'll be able to do multiple audio programs at the same time. Sometimes it's just not a problem. But if it isn't resolving, try putting using ASIO4ALL for one application, and the audio interface for another.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”