Can you make out the dialouge?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A while back I composed a fantasy inspired track with some old B-movie dialogue added to create a kind of spooky narrative at the end. Since old B-movie dialogues are quite lo-fi it can be hard to make them stand out from the mix. After a lot of tweaking I felt it ended up sounding quite ok, but I know the dialogue from beforehand, and we all know how that makes a big difference in discerning what is said.

So my question is: Can you make out the content of the dialogue, or is it drowning away in the mix?

Here is the track. Jump ahead to 2:12. The dialogue starts right after that point.

https://soundcloud.com/eltorden/amongst ... werewolves

A big thanks in advance to any of you that take the time give some feedback on this :)

I've just got my crappy phone's speaker to go on at the mo, but it comes through beautifully clearly on this - excellent job, the dialogue is very effective, works really well - hopefully you'll get a more hi-fi opinion or two soon.

mrcleats wrote:I've just got my crappy phone's speaker to go on at the mo, but it comes through beautifully clearly on this - excellent job, the dialogue is very effective, works really well - hopefully you'll get a more hi-fi opinion or two soon.
Thanks for the feedback! :tu:

A couple of friends of mine did not manage to discern the dialogue while listening on a Koss Porta Pro headset (although the claim their skill at discerning dialogue in music is horrible), so I am glad someone finally did understand it (even though it is on a phone's speaker) :)

hey Torden, i hear it fine on my porta-pro's. And looking at it on the spec
it isn't even breaking out of the good freq response curve. ie; it sits well in the mix :tu:

if anything, its the way the man is pronouncing the words that makes it a bit
indiscernible.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:hey Torden, i hear it fine on my porta-pro's. And looking at it on the spec
it isn't even breaking out of the good freq response curve. ie; it sits well in the mix :tu:

if anything, its the way the man is pronouncing the words that makes it a bit
indiscernible.
Thanks layzer! That is good to hear :)

Return to “Music Cafe”