Sugar-Bytes Cyclop, the most Disapointing Purchase. Should have tried the Demo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The sale is at native instruments, to celebrate NKS readiness
Last edited by Numanoid on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, I am totally confused. Why is NI selling a Sugar Bytes synth for half off?

Okay, this is what it says for minimum system requirements.

KOMPLETE KONTROL 1.5 or higher and/or MASCHINE 2.4 or higher

I don't own this. So their version only works with the above?

wagtunes wrote:I don't own this. So their version only works with the above?
If you plan to use it as NKS, yes

If you plan to use it as a regular VST, no

A quick reminder to all of us what NKS is:
Native Kontrol Standard (NKS) is Native Instruments’ extended plug-in format for all virtual instrument developers. NKS allows for intuitive and seamless interaction between plug-in instruments and KOMPLETE KONTROL and MASCHINE hardware – definitive integration designed by developers themselves.
NKS is all about integration and interaction with NI hardware, thus sort of a soft/hardware hybrid.

But these plugs still function as regular vsts and can be enjoyed by anybody, not owning the relevant NI hardware.

I have to agree

tried the demo and deleted

not sure where they are coming from with this.

IMO, this synth totally fails at doing what it is supposed to do. Nothing coming from it sounds even remotedly like a decent dubstep bass. On the other hand, it is really innovative in terms of features and has it's own recognizable sound character (to me it sounds terrible but terrible in its own way). Maybe in next few years we will see a new EDM genre totally based on its sound (kinda like tb303 back in the day)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Numanoid wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I don't own this. So their version only works with the above?
If you plan to use it as NKS, yes

If you plan to use it as a regular VST, no

A quick reminder to all of us what NKS is:
Native Kontrol Standard (NKS) is Native Instruments’ extended plug-in format for all virtual instrument developers. NKS allows for intuitive and seamless interaction between plug-in instruments and KOMPLETE KONTROL and MASCHINE hardware – definitive integration designed by developers themselves.
NKS is all about integration and interaction with NI hardware, thus sort of a soft/hardware hybrid.

But these plugs still function as regular vsts and can be enjoyed by anybody, not owning the relevant NI hardware.
Thanks. Done. 50 bucks for this synth is a steal.

realmarco wrote:the Gui is complicated for no good reason.i mean Where's the Lfo ...How do i assign it to the filter ?
what about the Envelopes ?
Read the manual? Watch some youtube tutorials? IMO Cyclop is awesome for what is made for. Bass.

I must admit I don't understand why SugarBytes have marketed this as such a niche instrument, I think what we are seeing here is that can backfire on them. While it may have been designed with bass in mind, just looking at the architecture of this synth makes me think it would be great for other types of sound, particularly fx and evolving sounds, but is needlessly limited to mono because of that supposed focus on bass (which is also daft given that bass needn't be mono anyway). Open it up and allow for more voices and it could be much more interesting.

I love that "finding the master volume" is now a cross-threaded-kvr-in-joke :)

When this was released it seemed like everyone was jumping on the wobble bass dubstep bandwagon, already too late. And if you're going for that recognizable sound, you might as well have purchased Massive and called it a day. If you wanted something different, a lot of other synths with more features could do it, especially those with a good MSEG and/or lfo routing options.

Sugar Bytes is great for niche products. I agree that this one could have used polyphony, and maybe a less gimmicky gui and marketing push.

But they're moving in the right direction. I love Obscurium and the upcoming Factory synth looks interesting...

Actually I quite like the 'gimmicky' gui - I admire the fact that they have a sense of playfulness and don't take things too seriously. Reminds me of Kai Krause's playful designs for Photoshop plugins which aimed to encourage experimentation and creativity. However to me that is also another reason why I think it should be more open, I would like to play with something like this but see no reason why it should be mono apart from the spurious bass connection.

funny how this is being 'discovered', it's been around for a number of years. i phased it out of my setup recently (just for a change of pace). but had a lot of fun with it. as i said above, it's great for what it's great at...

realmarco wrote:its monophonic..I mean why?? this is 2016
Synths I've bought in 2016: MicroBrute (monophonic), Atmegatron (monophonic in most of its firmware versions), Groovesizer TB2 (4-voice paraphonic, or monophonic), Thingamagoop 3000 (monophonic/effects), Serum (polyphonic).

The upcoming synth people are most excited about right now: RePro (monophonic)

I don't feel like monophony is something that's obsolete in 2016.
realmarco wrote:its Pretty much just Bleep-bloop-boing-Blargh.
Can't even find a decent wobble!!!
Don't take this as a defense of Cyclop, but when you put it like that, it sounds pretty great. :D The reason I waited so long to pick up Serum was the presets are all dubstep/EDM wub and screech crap. I didn't realize there was a brilliant synth hidden behind that.

It's a synth specialized in Fx and noises and is great at that. If you expect a general purpose synth, you'll be disappointed.

Return to “Instruments”