Granular 2 Mux (New Update Ver 1e)

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmm, I would feel a little like I was trying to make a big deal out of the patch, when I'm
really only trying to share it with other MuLab users who I hope might find it interesting.
I'm just a little OCD, so I post it like its a developer release when its really just a patch. :wink:

Perhaps if someone posted a list of some of the interesting Mux patches that are available, over there.
They might chance to include this one . :) I'm a big fan of Mulab and Mux so I'm all for promoting it, and
would be delighted if anyone wanted to use this patch in that regard.

Hope you like it...

-Cheers

*BTW: it does seem possible to replicate the FM synthesis from the BiOp example by using
a phase shifting plugin. I am getting good results with Phase Mistress from SoundToys.

Just a quick note, you can accomplish the full FM synthesis with Alex Hiltons free A1Stereo Control,
an envelope follower and a parameter event generator. Route the modulators into the follower, then
route the follower into the event generator. Plug that into the A1 Stereo Control with Phase flip as the
target. Insert the stereo control between the oscillators and the Low Pass filters.

Change the Analog LP filters to TF Low Pass filters. Add 2 ADSR envelopes, one for the filters and one to
replace the grain envelope (or just change the grain env. settings).
Get the settings for them and see how to hook them up in the BiOp patch and your good to go.

-Cheers

*I could not immediately see any way to do this without a 3rd party plugin. Sorry if I missed anything in Mulab.

*So I made a phase shifter with mux, let me see if I can get it working well enough.
Its not super fast atm.

I added a couple pitch shifters to the transport sections. These can be used
to smooth things out if they get rough at high frequencies. They will work
anywhere as they are not part of the transport, just placed there because that's
where they will come in most handy.

Another note, for anyone who's been playing with this. Unlike the last
versions, the amplitude of the modulators plays a much greater role in
sound sculpting you can decrease or increase it to good effect. It can smooth out
frequency problems as well and make for high freq. concentrated loop areas within
the table for different effects. Just use your imagination.

-Cheers

*I will update the main package before long or if there is another version release.
This is the empty version only...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just a GUI experiment I liked... The black waveform displays
look pretty cool imo. Maybe not entirely practical.

I intend to explore the limits of the UI customization that's possible
with MUX. Only because I want to see, not that there's anything wrong
with the stock look provided by Mux. I doubt many will want to go
as far as that anyway.

I will post my results here, maybe with a general overview of what's involved.

There have been some minor changes, I added Audio rate Modulated Distortion that
can be pitched up to provide a very metallic sounding effect. Its super fast distortion,
so pretty different sounding to what we are used to. It can also be used to make the
drone very electrical sounding.

Someone gave me an old Roland R8 Drum Machine, I've been using that to make
some new samples. I will probably make a few presets with them rather than just the demos.
So it will come with authentic analog produced samples. As a consequence, expect
the size of the download to go up quite a bit. They also gave me an SC-155 and
a TR 505 which will get added to the mix as well, soon as I get those up and running.

The FM modulated version is working but I'm not sure I'm going to release that
as is. Its almost overkill and very volatile as the gain can rise very quickly.
I'm not sure on the design of the phase shifters as well. I'm really just guessing
at them. I need to figure out how to read electrical schematics I guess.

I might make a single oscillator version for the FM synthesis as that sounds better
anyway.

So anther update is coming... Stay tuned.

-Cheers

Here is a new version featuring custom graphics. Grn2Mux_Grn and Grn2Mux_Blu.
If anyone wants to check them out.

Please note that they are empty as no samples are included in the zip. I haven't tested them
with the default knobs so I cant say if anything will be obscured or not. The graphics are included
in the resource folder (I've included the knobs as well). You may have to select the images if they
come up blank, not sure how Mux will handle the image path honestly. If so, just edit the panel.
Stretching it from a side will provide access to the main panel where you can select the images.
Then reset the size to 1170 by 716 and your good to go.

Other changes:

This version features the new audio rate modulated distortion.

The auto play system has been changed, the envelope controller has been
replaced with a noise generator and a note modifier has been added.
You can use it to change the auto play note from the front panel. You must
restart auto play for it to take effect.
Removed the "AEF" button and replaced it with an "NM" button to call the modifier.

Added a 2nd audio out, it seems the compressor sidechain wasn't working in
some other hosts. I mostly use it in MuLab so I didn't catch it. I can say this
will work in Tracktion and Bitwig at least. I haven't tested any others as yet.
I will test it in Live, Sonar, Reaper, Renoise, Studio One 3, FL Studio
and MixBus before the next update (with the samples). Those are all the DAWS
I own (that can use Mux) so that's all I can test.

That's about it, this download might require a little work on your part to get it
going. So don't download it unless your willing to do that.

-Cheers

Grn2Mux_Grafik:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9g5q ... DdObnR0UGc

Great update,you have also done a great job with the graphics,I like it!
thanks pekbro!

Thanks Taifunk!

BTW, could you tell me how it went with the graphics for you? Did you have to add
them? I'm wondering how Mux handled the image path.

Thanks...

I really like your patch,Thanks to you pekbro!
I unzipped the folder,loaded the patch and simply changing the patch also changes the graphics.
As you know for the knobs of course the procedure is not automatic and I kept the original knob,
But the background immaggine is related to the patch so it does not require any additional operation,
works perfectly :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Excellent, thanks Taifunk! glad your enjoying it. Its really turning out
to be quite a unique granular synth, in the world of granular synths 8)

No commercial developer would ever make a granular synth like this.
The Mux system has shaped it into its own thing. For that I think we are fortunate.

-Cheers

You're welcome!
Totally agree with you :tu:

Cheers!

that green is my fav.

Heh, the green is the original design. The intention was to kind of match
the retro/future military look of the fallout game series. If I had been able
to set a background image for the wave form displays, I would have matched
the green scanline displays from the game. Without the background it didn't really
work as well as I would have liked.

Maybe Jo will give us that ability in a future update...

-Cheers

Update Granular 2 Mux Ver 1.e

Added black graphical theme... Main package now includes Green, Blue, Black and No-Graphics themes.

Corrected some errors in the theme graphics, spelling, alignment etc, changed some control backgrounds
to make more sense.

Rewired Distortion amps in a proper feedback loop for better integration.

Added separate FX Racks for each oscillator, so they can use different effects. Renamed FX Rack to Master FX.

Added Loopspeed control for the main pitch shifters, so you can shift faster or slower...
Labled "Pitch Loopspeed" with Graphics and "Shift Speed" No-Graphics.

Added 4 new samples made with some old analog gear, A Roland R-8 Drum Machine and a Roland Sound Canvas "SC-155"

Added 5 named presets made with the above samples. Bear with me, as I am no preset designer.

Added Xtras folder to the Resources folder, this folder contains the original Knob graphics that were
designed for the graphic themes. Also a couple color themes for MuLab that I use to complete the
graphic themes as I intended them. *All of the stuff is completely optional, use them only if want the full
look. I like my themes pretty monochrome, using color only on the clips generally. So unless you
have similar tendencies...

Thats about it...

Please note that the download size has increased substantially to about 37 MB with the new samples
and graphics.

Please replace any previous versions if you want to keep up to date with this patch project.

Please let me know if anything doesn't work...

Have fun,

-Cheers :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9g5q ... HIwMmFTOW8

That is some amazing work pekbro, thank you for your fantastic contribution :tu:

sl23,

Thanks for the kind words, enjoy :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”