A 5-Piece Suite for Sequenced Piano

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/a ... nced-piano

More music for sequenced piano. Five more contrafacta/parodies derived from existing pieces, see the notes on SC for more details.

Made with Pianoteq and an ancient MIDI sequencer running under a DOS emulator.

Comments are welcome, and I hope you enjoy the music.

Best,

dp

I always find that this type of music is best listened to on a Sunday, probably because it's the only day of the week when I can truly relax and shut down the outside world. My favourites were the last 2 pieces. One of these days, I'll get around to demoing Pianoteq.

Good work :)

From echoes of Satie, to a touch of Schoenberg, to hints of his friend Gershwin, to something more modern, to a sort of neo-classic finale.

Lots of variety, lots of interest.

8)

seismic1 wrote:I always find that this type of music is best listened to on a Sunday, probably because it's the only day of the week when I can truly relax and shut down the outside world. My favourites were the last 2 pieces.
The 4th piece seems the most popular. The last one is my least favorite, but it's a pretty thorough overhaul of a prelude written a long time ago for a TX802 organ sound. All these things are in the nature of composition exercises, I kept the overhauled version just to balance the collection.
One of these days, I'll get around to demoing Pianoteq.
If you can actually play keys you might love it. Some of the recorded demos are wonderful, check 'em out sometime on the Pianoteq site.
Good work
Vast Thanks for lending your ears. Have a great evening. :)

Best,

dp

herodotus wrote:From echoes of Satie, to a touch of Schoenberg, to hints of his friend Gershwin, to something more modern, to a sort of neo-classic finale.
Thanks for the summary, you're pretty much spot-on. Getting something Gershwin out of the Rudhyar was an interesting endeavor. :)
Lots of variety, lots of interest.
And lots of fun as a composition exercise. The existing material presents an as-is condition that appeals, I put it through a variety of processing mills, I keep the good bits and toss the rest. Once the original material has been expanded/exploded then its re-assembly (the contrafactum) offers new points of divergence. The first piece in the series bears the most resemblance to its source material, but with more expansive harmony and a larger form. The fourth piece is a deeper reworking of its original material. Initial results from my processes were disappointing, but they did suggest what the piece eventually became. For me, that piece retains a sense of being improvised, it's probably the only "keeper" of the collection.

Best,

dp

Nice work! It's nicely composed, and there's plenty of variety here. If I had any criticism, it would be that you might have gone for a slightly lighter touch on the keyboard in some passages, but that might just be a matter of personal taste. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Music Cafe”