Gone are the days of looking for the perfect Analog Soft Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

justin3am wrote:Just be prepared to record anything that sounds cool, to audio, as soon as it happens. It may not happen twice. :)
Nothing happens twice in the Modular world. Well now we have phone and can take pictures...LOL :D :lol:
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

electro wrote:thought this thread was going to be all about Monark, DIVA and TAL.
It actually is...a Modular includes all of those and many more :D :lol:

Yeah, showing off about it is like 60% the reason why anybody would spend that kind of money on it.

So pictures are important.

Numanoid wrote:Yeah, showing off about it is like 60% the reason why anybody would spend that kind of money on it.

When i started planning was more about showing off but then it changes...of course you have
that ego feeling still but is not same as the beginning, its different after...
I will keep posting pictures as modules come and keep installing, nothing installed yet but that
does not mean i don't know how a modular feels like...i spent a lot of time on them for very long.

Numanoid wrote:Yeah, showing off about it is like 60% the reason why anybody would spend that kind of money on it.

I think I post 1 song for every 10 pictures, so more like 90% :lol:

Well the first few months might be PICTURES and NOISES only...lol

What kinds of sounds does one need a modular synth for?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:What kinds of sounds does one need a modular synth for?
The kind that gives you an excuse for using the modular synth.

Notning wrong with that.

Bleeps, bubbles, and farts. :P

Mostly any sound you want or can imagine...

Seems OP is more interested in posting at KVR than playing with new toy? :?

Numanoid wrote:Seems OP is more interested in posting at KVR than playing with new toy? :?
Not really...still need to wait for Modules...this will be the story every few days now...waiting for Modules.

One does not need a modular. It's definitely a luxury. I mainly use mine for fart noises.
If you go to my soundcloud page (link below), the most recent tracks I've done were mostly using my eurorack synths. No saying you need a modular to make those kinds of sounds but it's largely about the process for me. I just like patching. :)

BasariStudios wrote:
electro wrote:thought this thread was going to be all about Monark, DIVA and TAL.
nice fantasy :hihi:

pdxindy wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
nice fantasy :hihi:
Yeah, there are a lot of things people take for granted when comparing a modular synth to a "basic" monosynth (quotes used to indicate irony, in case that's not obvious).
For example, using a mod wheel to control the depth of an LFO's modulation. In a monosynth this handled behind the panel, but in a modular, you need to use the mod wheel to control a VCA which then allows modulation signal to pass through to other modules. If you want a different amount of depth for each modulation destination (or a different modulation source), you may need additional VCAs (or at least attenuators). Some modules have CV inputs with no attenuation, so you need an external module to control the modulation amount or you will just get full scale modulation all the time. Other modules have controls which act as an offset when there is no CV connected but then act as an attenuator when a cable is connected. As a result, you don't have an inline offset, so all modulation starts from the lowest setting of that parameter.

Then there are analog sequencers! Many don't realize that analog sequencers usually need a quantizer and a sample and hold (some quantizers have a trigger input, so only one module is needed) in order to work the way you might expect. Otherwise you'll find that the CV value changes even if you don't have a gate active for a given step.

I think if you give up on the notion of a standard monosynth architecture, it's a lot easier to have fun with a modular. :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”