mixing contest deadline

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I suggest for future challenges, only allow registered users to vote. As I understand that requires any purchase of melda plugins. Regardless how the results turn out, skewed or not.

There is a problem with this because of the number of entries, but honestly what can you do? No matter what there will be problems. The fact that there is voting and then there is also an editors choice is a good thing. Besides remember this is fun. Even if I don't win, I learned how to use plugins like MRhythmizer, MDrumenhancer and MPhatic, which I hadn't used much before. If nothing else I learned to better use the tools I have and I came up with ideas I can use in my own music in the future.

In the future it might be better to do a smaller contest however. Ex, mix an 8 bar drum loop(be creative), Make a pad sound in MPowersynth, make a bass sound in MPowersynth, Master this 8 bar clip of a song, etc. That way people could listen and decide quickly. However IMO there isn't much to complain about with this contest, its just good fun if you ask me.

Strange thing, on the web version and mobile version, the list of entries is presented in different order.
I think for the next contest, randomizing the list order would be the best way to prevent random voters from having any influence.

Chandlerhimself wrote:There is a problem with this because of the number of entries, but honestly what can you do? No matter what there will be problems.
I have no problem with the contest. I only wished that the rules would be clearer: the deadline was unclear and there is no information on how many votes one can give.

Taking part in the contest was fun, but going through the list of contestants isn't. As no EDM-style remix was allowed the mixes sound more or less the same with a few exceptions. That includes mine as I wasn't very adventurous myself, boring old fart that I am ;)

Masi

masitito wrote:how many votes one can give.
As many as you have email addresses.

This is all undoubtedly a way for melda to see good different uses for their plugins and there's nothing wrong with that, but I still think if it's a challenge with a prize it should be handled in a way that results can not be maliciously influenced.

pone wrote:
masitito wrote:how many votes one can give.
As many as you have email addresses.

This is all undoubtedly a way for melda to see good different uses for their plugins and there's nothing wrong with that, but I still think if it's a challenge with a prize it should be handled in a way that results can not be maliciously influenced.
I was thinking different voting systems where you can vote for three contestants or distribute 10 points. If I have only one vote I really have to decide on a single mix. Tough.

Masi

True, but you know there is no way to avoid "hackers". Anyways from the next months we will let only 10 best pass, sort of "filtering".
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:True, but you know there is no way to avoid "hackers".
Sad but true.
MeldaProduction wrote: Anyways from the next months we will let only 10 best pass, sort of "filtering".
Do you plan to automate the filtering? Like say, doing basic checks if the average frequency distribution or stereo width is within the limits of what can be expected from a pro mix. I hadn't had the heart yet to write off a mix in the current contest only after a couple of seconds. So I'm not sure if I'm able to listen to all of them before the end of the voting.

Masi

...over here I had to batch run them all through MLA set to -16lufs:"Music Reccomended" just to even things out...first time around I had my head ripped off by a couple of items :x ...then imported them as individual tracks into a fresh instance and setup a 24 bar loop somewhat past halfway...then jumped through them using the "solo:exclusive" function...those that were not in "my style" I found less appealing, but none the less still technically excellent/interesting :tu: ...this is an extremely narrow viewpoint however, completely ignoring overall composition/creativity/inventiveness/artistry :dog: ...so I'm choosing not to "vote" out of respect for all the work others have done :D ...frequently I was left with "how didja do that?!" :hyper: ...Cheers!.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

^^^^
Perhaps the winners should (have to) publish their projects? Or at least a schematic showing the FX used, and the presets for each FX.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I actually did exploit the MLoudnessAnalyzer batch processing too :D. I think that will be necessary for next rounds too...
DarkStar: Maybe, I'm not sure yet, we'll discuss this on friday with collegues ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hm, but isn't achieving a loudness level compatible with todays music market part of the mixing challenge?

...for me, yes and no...with the distinction between LUFS and dynamic range being the operative issue (i.e.,ref. Ian Shepard et al)...wherein "modern style" = a very small dynamic range ( "integrated" - "peak" <= 0/4 ) :scared: and "what I usually do" = something/anything way higher than that :clown: ...but in any "batch" of songs the target LUFS has to be within one or two LU of each other :love: for ease of listening...:D...however, the one with the checkbook always gets what s/he wants... :wink: .../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

True. Dynamic range and loudness are different things. However you are right, next time it should probably be in the list of requirements. Anyways I actually did it mainly because of a few mixes that were imho highly overcompressed.
Vojtech

The dynamic range is a IMHO matter of style and taste. If it's a criterion for the contest it should be mentioned. *

But... what should IMHO be done to the uploaded files (maybe lossless next time) is a loudness normalization like they do on streaming services or broadcast. If so, please announce the target LUFS so we can aim for it.

Some of the contestants forgot to make use Melda's mastering limiters and are way to quiet compared to the average.

Masi

Return to “MeldaProduction”