The official RIP thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As artists keep dying, maybe it makes sense to finally have a consolidated RIP thread on KVR, instead of a new thread for every artist...

I just read that Toots Thielemans has died at the age of 94. I only know few tunes on which he played, my favorite one being Velas, Quincy Jones' cover version of a Brazilian song.
His playing was softer than for instance Stevie Wonder's, less irritating for that instrument...

"As artists keep dying..."

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Sorry to hear about Toots. I think he was, perhaps, best known for Bluesette, but his mark is on a lot of great stuff. My favorite was his work with Bill Evans. Affinity was a great disk [1978]. He will be missed.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ontol wrote:They aren't dying, we are collecting some of the best artists among your species and transporting them to a place less...well...earthly.

We are currently expediting the normally gradual process as we've been watching how things are going here lately.

Bowie sends his love.
As does Hillary Klingon

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I thought this thread was about dead VSTi. I'm outta here.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

ontol wrote:They aren't dying, we are collecting some of the best artists among your species and transporting them to a place less...well...earthly.

We are currently expediting the normally gradual process as we've been watching how things are going here lately.

Bowie sends his love.
Maybe I shouldn't say this in an RIP thread, but I don't believe in afterlife, heaven, hell, souls, gods, etc. So, unfortunately, like any other living beings that die, dead artists are 100% gone, except for their rotting physical remains. So, basically this is a YMWBM (your music will be missed) thread as far as I'm concerned :)

:dog:

I don't know how you do it. It must take an extraordinary amount of faith to believe in nothing.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Not really faith, it's just not being scared that this life is all there is :)

Yes, it is definitely scary to think of it, especially as you get older and years pass faster and faster, and you are closer to your death than to your birth :? Makes you appreciate every day you are fortunate enough to live...

And it makes you more rebellious as you are not as likely to waste your life doing things others want you to do. Religious people often postpone their happiness to afterlife. But to me this life is the only chance I will ever get, so I work as little as necessary for instance.

And I think it is also part of my motivation to make at least one good tune in my life, so that something of me will remain. If everyone forgets me it will be like I never existed.

:tu:
resynthesis wrote:Not really faith, it's just not being scared that this life is all there is :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
And I think it is also part of my motivation to make at least one good tune in my life, so that something of me will remain. If everyone forgets me it will be like I never existed.
thing is you won't be around to notice that - that for me is the great thing about being an atheist or at least not believing in any afterlife - it is a great consolation to know that, no matter how much suffering in this life, all that suffering disappears as if it had never been once you are dead. Death is a problem for the living, not for the dead.

Well, it is not about me, of course I will not miss myself or be sad I have been forgotten. But it is a kind of waste to live without leaving anything behind. If I had children, things would be different. After all, I only exist because there has been an uninterrupted string of ancestors dating back to the very first primitive lifeforms billions of years ago.

Anyway- I think most Americans would know Toots Thielemans best for this (even if they didn't know who he was):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_SD2GWEHE
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

BERFAB wrote:"As artists keep dying..."

Is there a way to stop this from happening?
are you suggesting a ban on tye dying? :ud:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Claus Ogerman has died. I really liked his orchestral sound, there was something nostalgic, romantic about it. My first contact with it was the Motions and Emotions album by Oscar Peterson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSuyioXiio

Love those strings, gives me goose pimples :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”