Exponential Audio Nimbus Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: Nimbus

01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010

I''ve listened of a few demo, what do you think ?

more conventional than adaptiverb but much more CPU friendly, it tries to be more instantly usuable for producer, both pre-delay and RT60 delay time being tempo based, compression/expansion, tail suppression, tail recovery, etc..., many hints here and there to make it more musician friendly as far as i can judge

nothing really new, but an intelligent conception...

____

P.S. having opened a same topic i just reported it to be deleted, no need for it...

Hmm.. I'm not so sure about this one. Many of Michaels reverbs are very "samey" sounding.. or have a very specific type of sound. Don't get me wrong, they all sound wonderful but do I need another one? I don't think so.

Besides, I already have most of my reverb sends preloaded with FabFilter Pro-MB for the exact purposes of tailoring the reverb with either compression or expansion. I also always have a spare Pro-Q 2 on each send so that I can either EQ the reverb signal or the incoming signal before reverb (for plugins like U-He Protoverb that really benefit from some input filtering). I also have a tendency of adding D16 Decimort on some reverbs..

.. basically this means I'm already doing all of these things and because I own Phoenix, I don't really see any use for Nimbus, unless the upgrade pricing is too good to pass on. :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hmmm..
he had the Phoenixverb and the R2...
Which don't sound anything like each other, and certainly to my ears the algorithms within each do sound different... or do you mean his lexicon days or do you mean...?

rsp
sound sculptist

I was wondering the same too - it certainly sounds like he has already been releasing several more reverb plugins than those two he actually really did... "sound very samey or have a very specific type of sound" is most certainly not at all possible with two plugins... (or even three)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I do mean his two plug-ins.. now soon to be 3 plug-ins. So I disagree then. R2 is definitely not as different from Phoenix as say VVV from Valhalla Room.. in my opinion.

Nimbus seems to be more of the same.. though to be fair, he even says it's based on Phoenix. So yeah.. I'm not seeing the value here.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

The examples on the homepage are brillant, like everything from Exponential Audio...

bmanic wrote:I do mean his two plug-ins.. now soon to be 3 plug-ins. So I disagree then. R2 is definitely not as different from Phoenix as say VVV from Valhalla Room.. in my opinion.

Nimbus seems to be more of the same.. though to be fair, he even says it's based on Phoenix. So yeah.. I'm not seeing the value here.
hm... but you said "Many of Michaels reverbs are very "samey" sounding.. or have a very specific type of Sound"

samey sounding = at least 2

or very specific sounding = at least another one (3)

but "many of" (which refers to the previous - at the very least - three) means not all of them, so = at least another one (4)

which logically means at least four altogether, and even then it would still seem like a strange statement...

sorry, bmanic, I usually really like enjoy your posts, but you'll have to admit that this one really doesn't make much sense...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

bmanic wrote:I do mean his two plug-ins.. now soon to be 3 plug-ins. So I disagree then. R2 is definitely not as different from Phoenix as say VVV from Valhalla Room.. in my opinion.

Hmmm

I often agree with your 'ears'.. Not this time.
I find R2 and phoenixverb very very different, I actually after buying both for PC tried to see if I could get away with only one on the mac to save me money but ended up buying both.
I haven't found an instance where they sound alike, or that I could substitute one for the other without radically changing the sound.
I use phoenixverb all the time, because I sense it more than hear it..That is it sounds very natural, it blends in the background more to me, and its when I turn it off I hear it more than when I turn it on.....
Whereas R2 sounds more like a Lexicon. I use it when I want to Hear the reverb. I don't want it to blend in, I want to hear the presence of the reverb.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: I use phoenixverb all the time, because I sense it more than hear it..That is it sounds very natural, it blends in the background more to me, and its when I turn it off I hear it more than when I turn it on.....
Whereas R2 sounds more like a Lexicon. I use it when I want to Hear the reverb. I don't want it to blend in, I want to hear the presence of the reverb.
rsp
This would be my experience too, quite different. From what I gather Nimbus is based on the Phoenix engine not a copy of it with extra compression/filters etc
Last edited by woodsdenis on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I'm interested only if there's a fair upgrade price from PhoenixVerb.

Not sure why this is a new reverb and not just an evolution of Phoenix Verb which is what it appears to be.

aMUSEd wrote:Not sure why this is a new reverb and not just an evolution of Phoenix Verb which is what it appears to be.
I agree with you in spirit on this, but I suspect.
1. for backward projects compatibility.
2. maybe the upgrade will be generous enough to make this mostly a non issue.
3. it allows phoenix to be a cheaper entry level into what for me are the best software reverbs.

rsp
sound sculptist

audiosabre wrote:I'm interested only if there's a fair upgrade price from PhoenixVerb.
There always is and if you own a bundle you can always upgrade that too. NB if you don't see your bundle upgrade , shoot Michael an email, I got a crazy deal the last time. He does reward existing customers fairly.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Tail suppression is nice, but indeed, nothing new about Nimbus. I'm hurrying back to Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. Still mystified.

Return to “Effects”