Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

wagtunes wrote:Now you know how I feel.
You're one of the patients......... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote:Interesting, Tek, but they are just guessing for the most part (lots of might, seems).
And you're not just guessing ? :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote:FLS. here is the problem with your whole argument and what YOU don't seem to understand.

Yes, biologically, we all have human ears and eyes. They are basically the same at the core level for each person, meaning cell wise, structure wise or whatever the actual technical term is. I am not a scientist or doctor so I don't know what the term actually is.

However, that same structure in all of us has very little to do with how we ultimately interpret sight and sound.

Defects
Brain Differences
Cultural Differences

Just off the top of my head GREATLY affect how we perceive sight and sound.

You are trying to separate the two. You cannot do this. Saying that everybody has the same biological ears and eyes is the stupidest DUH statement on the face of this planet. Of course we do, provided we all have ears and eyes. Again, defects (birth being very common) even make that statement false.

For that matter, we might as well just say we are all human beings and therefor all basically receive impulses the same way. So what? Who cares? It's totally irrelevant to any conversation that has any meaning at all.

In practice, you and I do NOT hear even a simple sawtooth wave the same way. No two people do. And so claim otherwise is just being stubborn and/or ignorant.
Of course interpretation plays the key role, I never said anything else.
I do think it is important to separate the physical from the interpretation taking place in the brain. Otherwise it is like saying one can't separate the camera from Photoshop 8)

Why are we even talking about this? 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:FLS. here is the problem with your whole argument and what YOU don't seem to understand.

Yes, biologically, we all have human ears and eyes. They are basically the same at the core level for each person, meaning cell wise, structure wise or whatever the actual technical term is. I am not a scientist or doctor so I don't know what the term actually is.

However, that same structure in all of us has very little to do with how we ultimately interpret sight and sound.

Defects
Brain Differences
Cultural Differences

Just off the top of my head GREATLY affect how we perceive sight and sound.

You are trying to separate the two. You cannot do this. Saying that everybody has the same biological ears and eyes is the stupidest DUH statement on the face of this planet. Of course we do, provided we all have ears and eyes. Again, defects (birth being very common) even make that statement false.

For that matter, we might as well just say we are all human beings and therefor all basically receive impulses the same way. So what? Who cares? It's totally irrelevant to any conversation that has any meaning at all.

In practice, you and I do NOT hear even a simple sawtooth wave the same way. No two people do. And so claim otherwise is just being stubborn and/or ignorant.
Of course interpretation plays the key role, I never said anything else.
I do think it is important to separate the physical from the interpretation taking place in the brain. Otherwise it is like saying one can't separate the camera from Photoshop 8)
Except not all cameras are of the same quality. My Mustek from back in the 80s was total crap. Grainy as hell. Worthless piece of trash. My smartphone of today takes better pictures.

So again, to say that cameras all work on the same principle is pointless. So what? When you state the obvious people just roll their eyes at you. The only things that matter outside of the obvious are the differences. And those are the things that ultimately determine how one reacts to any external stimulus, whether it be sight, sound, feel, smell, or taste.

That's why my wife loves eggplant and I can't stand it.

It's the same food. So we should all enjoy it the same. But we don't.

That's all that matters. The rest of this whole "humans all have the same ears and eyes because they're humans" is pointless bullshit.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why are we even talking about this? 8)
Because you make ludicrous statements that have no correlation to actual reality as far as the "real" world is concerned.

wagtunes wrote:Except not all cameras are of the same quality. My Mustek from back in the 80s was total crap. Grainy as hell. Worthless piece of trash. My smartphone of today takes better pictures.

So again, to say that cameras all work on the same principle is pointless. So what? When you state the obvious people just roll their eyes at you. The only things that matter outside of the obvious are the differences. And those are the things that ultimately determine how one reacts to any external stimulus, whether it be sight, sound, feel, smell, or taste.

That's why my wife loves eggplant and I can't stand it.

It's the same food. So we should all enjoy it the same. But we don't.

That's all that matters. The rest of this whole "humans all have the same ears and eyes because they're humans" is pointless bullshit.
It's not pointless to me. I used to have a lot to do with data acquisition and sensors years ago. So the difference between input, processing and output matters.

Normal, i.e. healthy eyes are not at all like cameras from different decades. They are basically the same as they are the result of exactly the same evolution. Your comparing cams from different decades and devices is like comparing the eyes of different species. A good cam does not color or otherwise reduce the quality of the image. It captures reality perfectly.

Exactly what is the point of this discussion especially relating to The Legend ?

It serves to bump the thread and give Synapse some free publicity but other than that....why ? :?

It was some comment pages ago that started it all, as usual with off-topic posts :D

So, what is there to add to the topic after so many pages? Is there an update?

fluffy_little_something wrote:It was some comment pages ago that started it all, as usual with off-topic posts :D

So, what is there to add to the topic after so many pages? Is there an update?
Update? About the group therapy? :D
Ever heard about synesthesia?

To have an exceptional hearing abilities is equaled to having any other exceptional talents. Now, does everyone have exceptional talents? No. It's a privilege, a blessing, a gift not everyone has.

As not everyone has a surgically precise eye that is required to become, say, Olympic champion in sharpshooting, or to become a professional surgeon, not everyone is qualified to make a professionally sounding mix. And I'm not talking recording techniques and studio trickery right now. I'm talking about the right ears for the job. That kind of ears that earned Roger Nichols his Grammy's when Grammy's actually meant something.

You know, I'm still discovering new subtle, but exciting nuances in The Dark Side of the Moon mix. And every time, I must say, I get amazed with my discoveries. I'm still finding things in Steely Dan's mixes unheard before.

So I'm guessing, not even our own hearing is the same depending on a certain day, time and conditions, what to say of others?

And to say our hearing is the same...

I think we are wasting our time, gentlemen, with someone who's clearly enjoying talking bananas.

Not that I don't like myself a ripe banana anytime of the day, yet I prefer to consume them as fruits, not rubbish statements.

Adios gauchos! (pardon the pun).

My hearing also varies with the time of the day, but it is not my ears that vary, it's my mind.

Synth developers actually use the assumption that we all hear more or less the same. Else Richard could not make a synth whose sound appeals to so many people. While developing and testing he assumes that the vast majority will hear what he hears. If he likes what he hears, so will we.

fluffy_little_something wrote:My hearing also varies with the time of the day, but it is not my ears that vary, it's my mind.

Synth developers actually use the assumption that we all hear more or less the same. Else Richard could not make a synth whose sound appeals to so many people. While developing and testing he assumes that the vast majority will hear what he hears. If he likes what he hears, so will we.
Wrong.

In the case of Legend, if the sound matched the hardware he used, it was right and then he was happy.

There is no assumption.

In that case he relies on his hearing when comparing his synth to the hardware, and assumes others will agree with his verdict that the software sounds like the hardware.

Not to mention great sounding synths that are not emulations of existing hardware.

fluffy_little_something wrote:It captures reality perfectly.
:hihi: :lol: :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”