RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Downloading now
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I've downloaded 1.1.0 but I see no where to import wavetables or multisamples, how's this done?
Which version is the correct one?

nvm got it now!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

After playing around for a few hours with the new import functions all I can say is wow. Took me a few minutes to realize you actually need to create a new folder under the "library" tab, but once I got that up and running a world of ideas an inspiration came to me importing some of my wavetables and samples. My wavetables are sounding very crisp and had some great results linking the sequence modulator to the morph. Also made some really nice choirs experimenting with the resynthesis function. Nice job Parawave! I can't wait to explore this more.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

nordickvr wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:There were two threads that I followed occasionally:
Avenger vs. Rapid...
and
Serum vs Rapid...
Should we re-examine them now that Rapid V 1.1.0 has been released?
Personally would like to see the Rapid comparison with Serum, Avenger, Icarus and Falcon.
Avenger should benefit from an important update too.
Suppose to be "soon".
People here at KVR generally have written that Rapid has a warmer sound than Serum. That is a big plus for me. And now I can use my own wav samples and sample libraries in Rapid. Great!

I will consider buying one of the following Rapid, Serum, Avenger, Icarus or Falcon by the end of the year.

Looking forward to the Avenger update!
We live in the best of times, musically speaking.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
Avenger vs. Rapid...
and
Serum vs Rapid...
Personally would like to see the Rapid comparison with Serum, Avenger, Icarus and Falcon.
Suppose to be "soon".
People here at KVR generally have written that Rapid has a warmer sound than Serum. That is a big plus for me. And now I can use my own wav samples and sample libraries in Rapid. Great!

I will consider buying one of the following Rapid, Serum, Avenger, Icarus or Falcon by the end of the year.

I have Rapid, Avenger and Serum.
Rapid is for me the winner... why?

Rapid (10/10):
+ 24 osc over 8 layer
+ cleanest wavetable import
+ multisample import with velocity and round robin
+ did you relaize the resynthesis import? this is unique and no other synth has this awesome kind of function
+ !!! no bugs !!!
+ !!! low cpu usage !!! (could use 50 instances in one project)
+ midi importer
+ clean sound
+ best workflow
+ cleanest distortion effects
+ opens quickly
+ sharing ressources when more instances open
+ fx routing
+ best synth-reverb
+ cool filters
+ uniform skin

- not resizeable

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serum (9/10):
+ good workflow
+ wavetable importer options
+ a lot of presets at the moment available
+ cpu usage is okay
+ nice optic
+ nice filters,... love them!

- sometimes crashes
- only 2 oscs
- sometimes too metallic
- sometimes aliasing
- no multisamples

Avenger (5/10):
+ resizable
+ 8 oscs
+ fx routing

+- multisamples but no velocity and round robin

- BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS. Crashes 2-3 per hour.
- CPU usage. 3 instances in a project and my cpu says "are you kidding me?"
- a lot of thinks doesn't work correctly especially when i try interesting stuff with the modulation.
- wavetable importer makes sometimes strange things (BUG?)
- wavetable importer isn't clean.
- thin filters. really, they sounds so ugly.

Rapid is allways in use here. When building a track or creating new interesting sounds Rapid is my favourite and I don't belive that there will be a synth in the next time, who will replace it. :party: :tu:

Serum is nice to create wavetables (maybe for Rapid? ;-) ) and that works really quick with an own kind of sound (hard, cold, metallic, good for dubstep tables) :tu:

Avenger? I don't use it anymore! It's a big box full of nonsense! :dog: I will never understand why this synth is so famous.
Last edited by themerx on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

This demo shows a preset where I used the RESYNTHESIS function of RAPID!

https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/parawa ... is-results

Is there any tutorials for import of samples, in english available? thanks

I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly..
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Mirko R. wrote:This demo shows a preset where I used the RESYNTHESIS function of RAPID!

Nice sound :-)
Hopefully you make soon a tutorial for the Resynthesis.
The three other tutorials are really helpfull.

BTW it seems you were in a quite "gute Laune" during the Wavetable Import Tutorial.
Maybe a little bit too much? ;-)

On my side I find these new functions very welcome and a great step for Rapid.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

themerx wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
Avenger vs. Rapid...
and
Serum vs Rapid...
Suppose to be "soon".

I have Rapid, Avenger and Serum.
Rapid is for me the winner... why?

Rapid (10/10):
+ 24 osc over 8 layer
+ cleanest wavetable import
+ multisample import with velocity and round robin
+ did you relaize the resynthesis import? this is unique and no other synth has this awesome kind of function
+ !!! no bugs !!!
+ !!! low cpu usage !!! (could use 50 instances in one project)
+ midi importer
+ clean sound
+ best workflow
+ cleanest distortion effects
+ opens quickly
+ sharing ressources when more instances open
+ fx routing
+ best synth-reverb
+ cool filters
+ uniform skin

- not resizeable

Serum (9/10):
+ good workflow
+ wavetable importer options
+ a lot of presets at the moment available
+ cpu usage is okay
+ nice optic
+ nice filters,... love them!

- sometimes crashes
- only 2 oscs
- sometimes too metallic
- sometimes aliasing
- no multisamples

Avenger (5/10):
+ resizable
+ 8 oscs
+ fx routing

+- multisamples but no velocity and round robin

- BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS. Crashes 2-3 per hour.
- CPU usage. 3 instances in a project and my cpu says "are you kidding me?"
- a lot of thinks doesn't work correctly especially when i try interesting stuff with the modulation.
- wavetable importer makes sometimes strange things (BUG?)
- wavetable importer isn't clean.
- thin filters. really, they sounds so ugly.

Rapid is allways in use here. When building a track or creating new interesting sounds Rapid is my favourite and I don't belive that there will be a synth in the next time, who will replace it. :party: :tu:

Serum is nice to create wavetables (maybe for Rapid? ;-) ) and that works really quick with an own kind of sound (hard, cold, metallic, good for dubstep tables) :tu:

Avenger? I don't use it anymore! It's a big box full of nonsense! :dog: I will never understand why this synth is so famous.
I have Serum, Avenger and Falcon (I would also add Halion 6 to that list, which I also own)

I have not had a single crash with Avenger (PC) with 100's of hours use. It is a superb synth, the upcoming granular (demos on YouTube) will make it one of the best I think. Serum is great at doing what it does (I have never had a crash 'ever' with Serum). It has a sound, it is lovely to look at and work with (now it is resizable) and one of my go to WT synths - Its not an 'all rounder' but great nevertheless. Falcon is one of the best 'workstation' synths without a doubt, class all the way, ubber powerful, great fx, lovely GUI and of course great sound and just about very type of synthesis available...I can pretty much say the same for Halion 6, only its also a sampler (it can actually sample hardware!) and has a ton of sample content. Great Full demo for this from Steinberg with full content, so no excuse for not trying it (no demo for Falcon unfortunately). I tried Rapid, it did nothing new for me that isn't covered by above and I don't like the GUI. Falcon or Halion do it all if you want a workstation, if I 'had' to pick just one it would probably be Falcon. I would (did) pick Avenger over Rapid and having just tried the Rapid update and still sure that was the right decision for me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I have Serum, Avenger and Falcon (I would also add Halion 6 to that list, which I also own)

I have not had a single crash with Avenger (PC) with 100's of hours use. It is a superb synth, the upcoming granular (demos on YouTube) will make it one of the best I think. Serum is great at doing what it does (I have never had a crash 'ever' with Serum). It has a sound, it is lovely to look at and work with (now it is resizable) and one of my go to WT synths - Its not an 'all rounder' but great nevertheless. Falcon is one of the best 'workstation' synths without a doubt, class all the way, ubber powerful, great fx, lovely GUI and of course great sound and just about very type of synthesis available...I can pretty much say the same for Halion 6, only its also a sampler (it can actually sample hardware!) and has a ton of sample content. Great Full demo for this from Steinberg with full content, so no excuse for not trying it (no demo for Falcon unfortunately). I tried Rapid, it did nothing new for me that isn't covered by above and I don't like the GUI. Falcon or Halion do it all if you want a workstation, if I 'had' to pick just one it would probably be Falcon. I would (did) pick Avenger over Rapid and having just tried the Rapid update and still sure that was the right decision for me.
I'd like to add: Serum, Avenger & Falcon licences can be resold which is a big + for them. Avenger & Serum have skinning support which Rapid could definitely benefit from too. Avenger & Serum were made from and for great sound designers with years of experience (which I think one can feel by the workflow). At least Avenger has a fully functional demo, besides saving. Rapids demo is really limited.

teacue wrote:
Mirko R. wrote:This demo shows a preset where I used the RESYNTHESIS function of RAPID!

BTW it seems you were in a quite "gute Laune" during the Wavetable Import Tutorial.

Thanks. I will make a Resynthesis tutorial.
Do you speek German or did you just watch and understand it without listening to my voice? :D

For the lost ones, here's a small guide. It's really not that hard, try to experiment a bit, that's the fun of it :)
STEP 1: Create a Library

a) Open the wavetable/multi-sample browser by clicking the small box icon within an oscillator display.

b) Click on the menu button called "LIBRARY" in the bottom left corner and select New...

c) Enter a name for the library, which will be used for the directory and the entry in the library browser list.

STEP 2: Add Files

Select the IMPORT tab of the library and add new files via Add Files... or by dropping files onto "Drop wave files here" area

Alternatively you can also drag & drop files onto the oscillator display, which will also open the IMPORT tab afterwards.

STEP 3: Choose the Import Method

No matter which method you choose, you should enter a NAME, and CATEGORY for the new content. After successful import, a new entry will be created within the currently selected library.

Specify the options, depending on your method and input sample and click Import. DONE!

CONSTANT FRAME-SIZE

a) If you just want to import already created wavetables (e.g from sampled Synthesizers), enter the size of one table cycle. For Serum, this value is typically 2048.

b) If you want to re-sample a realistic sample, let's say a string sample with a pitch of C4, you should enter the pitch value as note (e.g. C4, C3). It will automatically convert the pitch to the correct cycle-length (e.g. ~337 samples for C3). In this case I recommend activating DECLICK FRAMES, which will result in smoother table morph transitions.

SINGLE SAMPLE

If no MIDI unity note information is embedded within the file, it will try to parse a note token from the filename. my_cool_sample_g#3.wav will automatically enter the root note G#3 for you.

The root note is the key at which the sample is played back 1:1.

MULTI SAMPLE

To combine multiple sample files into one single multi-sample, you obviously have to provide multiple files. But how does Rapid detect where to map each sample? This is also done by reading the embedded MIDI unity note information (which can be edited manually in Wave Lab or FL Studio Edison for example). OR by parsing a note token from the filename.

If you add the files..
  • 1. my_cool_lead_c4.wav
  • 2. my_cool_lead_e4.wav
  • 3. my_cool_lead_g#4.wav
It will detect
  • 1. c4 = MIDI 60
  • 2. e4 = MIDI 64
  • 3. g#4 = MIDI 68
and map the samples to the corresponding notes on the keyboard.

If you are fancy, you can also add additional tokens for velocity or round robin.

Velocity
  • guitar_c4_v0.wav
  • guitar_c4_v1.wav
  • guitar_c4_v2.wav
Will evenly map the 3 samples to one key C4, but at different velocity values.

Round Robin
  • guitar_c4_rr0.wav
  • guitar_c4_rr1.wav
  • guitar_c4_rr1.wav
Will trigger one of three samples if C4 is pressed multiple times.

And yes, you can combine both.

Velocity x Round Robin
  • guitar_c4_v0_rr0.wav
  • guitar_c4_v0_rr1.wav
  • guitar_c4_v0_rr2.wav
  • guitar_c4_v1_rr0.wav
  • guitar_c4_v1_rr1.wav
  • guitar_c4_v1_rr2.wav
  • guitar_c4_v2_rr0.wav
  • guitar_c4_v2_rr1.wav
  • guitar_c4_v2_rr2.wav
3x Velocity & 3x Round Robin for one key, pretty nice huh?

RESYNTHESIS

The results will greatly vary depending on the input sample. For best results, use lengths of 1 to 4 seconds. The input sample doesn't have to be looped. The important thing is the spectral content. Some ideas:

a) Drop a hi-hat cymbal to extract the spectral "texture" of it. Results will mostly sound like infinite metal texture.

b) Drop a short vocal shot with a fixed pitched, "oohs" and "aaaahs" work good and result in kind-of synth choirs.

c) Drop a short filteres guitar pluck for smooth pads sounds.

Tips:
Don't use very long samples, this will mostly result in too airy or noisy pads.
Don't use very short samples, this will result in granular buzz.

Try to use monophonic samples without sweeps or fast pitch modulation.

Short Wave => More Granular
Long Wave => More Noisy

The ideal length lies in between an will generate smooth textures with interesting spectral movements.

Ooooh nice. A mini manual. Thanks!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Mirko R. wrote:
teacue wrote:

Do you speek German or did you just watch and understand it without listening to my voice? :D
I live in germany and speak german ;-)
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

teacue wrote:
Mirko R. wrote:
teacue wrote:

I live in germany and speak german ;-)
It's not really hard to understand as a Swede with a few years of "school German" (20+ years ago) either :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Instruments”