Best Wavetable Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think is the best wavetable synth out there?

Waldorf Largo

Waldorf Microwave XT/XTk coupled with SoundDiver.
Fernando (FMR)

For the sheer amount of features including the powerful wavetable editor and lots of other features i would choose Icarus (while it also sounds very nice...).
Sound wise i always was a huge Waldorf fan and my favorite there while it is not the most versatile in terms of features is Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V. PPG 3.V could also load/play samples (sample playback, no resyntheis) and usually those could sound very nice when used there.
Anyway i also got others from them like Blofeld (hardware), Largo, Nave and Waldorf Edition 2 (including PG wave 2.V) that all are great on their own. Concerning the plugins maybe Largo is the most versatile while it could not load custom wavetables (but has a lot of wavetables included).

Besides those i also got several other wavetable synths but i will not mentione them here. Icarus and the Waldorf synths at the moment are the most important ones for me.

Another interesting option i got at the moment is to import wavetables created with Icarus into otehr synths like e.g. Avenger or Falcon.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

hard- or software?

never played with HW WT synths, so, software-wise:

my personal top 5 (In no particular order):

*Icarus
*Rapid
*Largo
*Serum
*Zebra2

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Zebra

for it's amazing thick sound and LOW cpu usage i still like Z3ta+ V1.5
with my skin :D
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I've Serum and is blooming ace and detailed, with *incredible* sound quality. However saw a video for this yesterday and the amount of layers and layer modulation in this is pretty darn impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWuVOkCKzw

I see an appeal in both the more chameleon-like ones like Zebra that you can load thousands of user-created wavetables into, and also the ones that have a fixed set of wavetables and don't import anything.

One of the charms of the latter, for me, is that the fixed-table synths can have a more particular sonic fingerprint that you can sometimes actually recognize when you hear a new song. NI managed to do that with Massive to a degree that rivaled the PPG in terms of creating a set of wavetables that are (at least some of them) very distinctive and recognizable.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Serum

Why?

Because it's my best selling library by miles.

Yes, I'm a mercenary.

HcDoom wrote:Waldorf Largo
I'll double that. Even though i'm not sure what "best" is supposed to be in that regard. Largo does sound the best of the ones i tried for me, and it's also one of the most, if not THE most versatile synths i have. Plus, it features a more or less "classic" layout, and doesn't overwhelm you, even though it does offer a lot. And, especially, it does feature the things i want. I'm not missing anything in it. Maybe, one day, i'll be craving for importing my own wavetables. Guess i'd go Serum then, it looks very interesting. Maybe i'll take the rent-to-own option from Splice one day.

If you want 'just' wavetable, I vote Serum. Superb sound and a GUI that is a pleasure to use (great support and free updates as well)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Serums seems to be very popular because of it's depth and flexibility. But personally I'm more a Largo or Codex fan, because of their immediacy and no fuss quick layout. Codex is especially good in that respect.

Taurus wrote:What do you think is the best wavetable synth out there?
There is no such thing as "best wavetable synth". Most of them sound/work different so.. What suits you the best :tu:

Return to “Instruments”