Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am I'm prety sure most of these won't make it, here's what i'd like to see anyway:

- fully vector based GUI. Maybe a sacrilege, but i wouldn't even mind if it had a clean modern look like plugins from Valhalla or Fabfilter

- uniform module layout: every knob / slider should be at the same place on each module, though could be difficult if you want to keep the knob vs slider philosophies of the originals intact
100% agreed. Especially the Valhalla and Fabfilter part..

Ignore...

But why Re-Pros 2,3 and 4 are not in chart. Urs, what's going on?
Murderous duck!

a visualisation like pigments would be also a nice feature for version 2 of my favorite synth.
+ a sh-101 filter

sacer wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:22 am a visualisation like pigments would be also a nice feature for version 2 of my favorite synth.
What we did in Hive, scope-wise, will surely come to Diva as well.

All I know with absolute certainty is that Diva 2 will be amazing. Even if the sound engine doesn’t change at all.

Its a lot of pages but hopefully someone said onboard sequencer like in REPRO1.

But that it can also be routed to different synth parameters. Virus TI (and others of course) has the arp that can be routed to the matrix as a source controllers for any assignable parameter.

i know diva is suppose to be for that old skool analog vibe... but hey.. if its a wishlist ;)

gsilbers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm Its a lot of pages but hopefully someone said onboard sequencer like in REPRO1.

But that it can also be routed to different synth parameters. Virus TI (and others of course) has the arp that can be routed to the matrix as a source controllers for any assignable parameter.

i know diva is suppose to be for that old skool analog vibe... but hey.. if its a wishlist ;)
I did not know that about the Virus TI arp.

Indeed, that would be a great feature.

I have to be a bit mean for a second and say that if there is something I would completely overhaul in Diva, it would be the effects. I just don't like them. I've realized that the quality I don't like in so many of the presets is in fact the effects. If I disable them and add my own externally, it really improves the sound for me. So yeah toss those and start again with effects. Mostly the modulation effects like Rotary and Chorus I don't find pleasant. Not a big deal since I just use my own anyways, but there you go, that's my suggestion for V2.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:09 pm I have to be a bit mean for a second and say that if there is something I would completely overhaul in Diva, it would be the effects. I just don't like them. I've realized that the quality I don't like in so many of the presets is in fact the effects. If I disable them and add my own externally, it really improves the sound for me. So yeah toss those and start again with effects. Mostly the modulation effects like Rotary and Chorus I don't find pleasant. Not a big deal since I just use my own anyways, but there you go, that's my suggestion for V2.
I really like the Diva Chorus modes personally. The Plate Verb can work very well too. I'd much rather have a Lyrebird/CoCo style delay in Diva, but the current one is serviceable. I never really use the others at all.

No one's asking, but just as a frame of reference, I'd take the Diva effects any day over the ones in the Roland Cloud/System-8 any day of the week. The Roland ones sound terrible to my ear (outside of the Juno/JX-3P chorus).

I would be happy with just a high res knobs skin for Diva 1.

I'll buck the trend and say Diva doesn't need anything. One thing you should definitely not do is diminish the Roland-y flavour. Whatever else you do don't f*** with that. And I presume a lot of that is the envelopes (filters are obvious but I don't imagine those would go anywhere anyway). If you wanted to immortalize Diva in hardware with an elegant, hands-on interface and a nice keybed that would be far more useful than more models or new effects etc. If there has to be Diva 2.0 at all it should probably follow another breakthrough in modeling technology, should there be one, in the interest of accuracy. Or alternatively a parallel Diva 2.0 if making money is an inescapable reality.

But then it should be allowed to be a completely different paradigm or another anthology (not Roland obviously but Sequential, or Oberheim etc etc, or even just a free for all with unrelated modules). Whatever design decisions are made though shouldn't be driven by whatever sound designers want. Priority should be given to musicians who actually make music and musicality should be paramount not features. Roland synths were eminently musical and this is what makes Diva such a great musician's choice. It should be allowed to endure even if Diva 2.0 must go ahead. But it should endure in its current flavour/vibe paradigm. If anything this vibe should be allowed to expand (SH5, 2, etc etc).

omiroad wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:46 pm I would be happy with just a high res knobs skin for Diva 1.
Ikr?
What’s with those knobs :?
Most of them are tho, iirc just the moog stuff isn’t highres.

As someone who is demoing diva and almost certainly about to buy it in the current sale - the main selling points for me are how easily DIVA does both "warm" for pads and "dirty but still thicc" for basses

With those in mind I'd love to see the previously mentioned polyvoks clone for when I need to go even filthier than the BITE modules, and maybe a retro digital osc that is very intentionally lo-fi (thinking more alphaSyntauri basic additive or OPLL 2-op FM rather than full wavetable stuff that would cross more into zebra/hive territory)

In the mean time DIVA is great as is!

I dig the resonator in the Dark Zebra. Would it add something to the other u-he synths?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “u-he”