Why are euro-rack / modular cases so expensive?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why are the basic cases priced at 2 - 4 hundred pounds.

I don't really get how they are any more than racks with a power supply. So I'm assuming it's the power split component thats expensive?

Obviously some of the cases are 'flight cases' and are more expensive because of materials. :?:
Fight Apathy or don't.

Build your own then. :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Because the budget options from Tip Top and Doepfer are relatively cheap for the size of the market. A reliable power supply is a big deal in Eurorack and not really a field DIY enthusiasts in general feel comfortable with, what with the high voltages and potential for damage if something goes wrong.

Stopani wrote:Why are the basic cases priced at 2 - 4 hundred pounds.
Probably because it is a (relatively) niche market (with the respective produced quantities), and, because the market allows to take that price.

skipscada wrote:Because the budget options from Tip Top and Doepfer are relatively cheap for the size of the market. A reliable power supply is a big deal in Eurorack and not really a field DIY enthusiasts in general feel comfortable with, what with the high voltages and potential for damage if something goes wrong.
Yeah, that's actually a good point. I should have said 'spec your own from parts and see how much that costs then'. Dont build your own unless you really know what you're doing; mains voltages are not to be messed with.

skipscada wrote: A reliable power supply is a big deal in Eurorack and not really a field DIY enthusiasts in general feel comfortable with, what with the high voltages and potential for damage if something goes wrong.
Thats fair enough and theres no chance I will be building my own - that would just end up in some sort of calamitous family guy style montage only with less comedy and more fire.

Thanks for all responses :tu:
Fight Apathy or don't.

One last point, the cheaper power supplies, like the one supplied with Tip Top's Happy Ending Kit, are "switching" power supplies, that tend to add noise to the power bus in Eurorack. That noise gets passed onto the modules and ultimately, the audio. Those more expensive power supplies are "linear", using big round transformers paired with rectifier bridges that don't produce that noise and offer a cleaner audio environment. :phones:

RichieWitch wrote:One last point, the cheaper power supplies, like the one supplied with Tip Top's Happy Ending Kit, are "switching" power supplies, that tend to add noise to the power bus in Eurorack. That noise gets passed onto the modules and ultimately, the audio. Those more expensive power supplies are "linear", using big round transformers paired with rectifier bridges that don't produce that noise and offer a cleaner audio environment. :phones:
I'll never understand people who spend good money building a nice Eurorack system but then cut corners in powering the thing.

I have two Monorocket cases that were modified by an old friend of mine. They have his bus boards (better protection against spikes, etc.) and have locking connectors for use with external power supplies. My power supply (made by the guy who modified the cases) is built into a .50 caliber ammo box- 7.5 amps and two taps (one for each case). Absolutely clean power and no noise or heat issues.

Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? I think so. YMMV, of course.

ew
A spectral heretic...

I agree that you shouldn't skimp on power supply/distribution. Cheap out on the cabinet instead!
A doepfer PSU 2 (a decent linear PSU) is ~$130 and bus boards can be found for pretty cheap. You can get a 3.4 amp Power-One HCC15-3-A for even less on ebay, if you are patient.
Schroff rails are ~$11 each
Get the threaded strips too
Tip top rack ears are $16 for a pair
Get a 12 U stand like this one: On Stage 12U rack stand
You'll also need some 10-32 or M6 rack screws (the same screws can often be used to attach the euro-rails to the tiptop rack ears).

For <$300 you can build a 6U rack. For <$500 you can make it a 12U.
When it comes to using the Dopefer PSUs, there isn't really much that's DIY about them. The bus boards and IEC jack use spade connectors, so no soldering is required. I'd recommend putting the PSU in an enclosure and you might want to cover the back of the rack so the modules aren't exposed.

I built my first case from some used wooden CD cases that I got for $15 a piece.
With some ingenuity, you can get a a decent sized rack, for not much money.

The Doepfer DIY kit is really cheap I think, I use one to power two cases. A few hundred pounds is not a terribly lot of money. You'll realize that one day when you try to do/manufacture a physical product for sale... :P

The Cases are the ONLY SOLE reason why people do not get into Modular
so much, they get scared by the Case price right away...it happened to
me too but then i broke in and now...wooohooo.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:The Cases are the ONLY SOLE reason why people do not get into Modular
so much, they get scared by the Case price right away...
Once upon a time, when a 6U Doepfer case was four or six times the cost of an average utility module, or two-three times the cost of a VCO, I would have agreed instantly, but since the rise of boutique module makers, you can pay easily pay far more for a single oscillator than you would for the case it goes in, so these days, Im not quite as convinced.

whyterabbyt wrote: Once upon a time, when a 6U Doepfer case was four or six times the cost of an average utility module, or two-three times the cost of a VCO, I would have agreed instantly, but since the rise of boutique module makers, you can pay easily pay far more for a single oscillator than you would for the case it goes in, so these days, Im not quite as convinced.
Well you are right about that too...when i bought my DPO and ToneStar 2600i found that out too.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:The Cases are the ONLY SOLE reason why people do not get into Modular
Then repurpose other stuff. A good friend of mine converts old suitcases and the like that he finds at garage sales into modular cases. Add vector rails and bus boards (or use something like a Tiptop uZeus with flying bus boards), and you're good. And, if you're into DIY, using tiles for multiples and the like help with space issues.

ew
A spectral heretic...

A year ago Waldorf came up with nice entry case with built-in keyboard. I was going to buy it until I saw the price...

https://www.thomann.de/pl/waldorf_kb37_keyboard.htm

888 euro for a synth piece that doesn't even make a sound on its own? Are these guys high or what...
Then we have for instance Minilogue with same number of keys, 4-voice poly and it's 500 euro.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”