Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

exmatproton wrote:
Zexila wrote:
No, still can't find anything better than Logic, been trying whole year and still on the hunt. :)
FL Studio all the way. No need to switch at all :phones:
Been toying around with idea to use Windows based DAW or just bite my ass and get another Mac/continue to use Logic, which most likely will happen. :neutral:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I moved from Sonar X3 to Logic, but it wasn't really planned. I bought a Mac Mini and Resident Audio T2 to try out Mainstage in 2014. That experiment went well, so I added a 2015 MBP this past summer. My 11 year old studio computer was running Vista and it didn't make any sense to upgrade it (plus buy another new audio interface) just to run the new version of Sonar, so I bought Logic. After using Cakewalk stuff since the 90s, I do miss it sometimes, but Logic is also very capable.

It's an interesting thread. Personally I don't think there is any bad DAW program on the market. They are all good just different so find one that works for you and go make some music! If things change along the way, try something else. It's great to have all these choices although it can become expensive :)

Moved from Stagelight to Ableton Live in November. Had a great 1+ year run with Stagelight.

After switching between Reaper, Studio One 3, Sonar Plat, and Cubase Pro... I finally decided to use Cubase as my main app, and haven't touched the others for composition and mixing. I'll open them up to rebuild tracks into Cubase, and I'll use the Project page in S1 for album assembly, but Cubase is the be all/end all for me. I got a lot of work done in Cubase 8.5, and Ver. 9 is already working great. I feel I can stop here for years just like I did with Sonar 8.53 (I still hate the X series), which was my all time favorite until now.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

I've been using ableton live since version 5, now switched to bitwig for the time being. I still have my live suite license, but bitwig does everything i need and does a few things significantly better: Multi-Monitor-Setup, Midi (MPE, Sysex), Modulation between devices, Routing. I was hesitant because i love my push 2, but with the controller script for bitwig, it actually works very similarly. Close enough to not notice the difference most of the time.

I could never get Cubase to run reliability with the audio interfaces I have this year and on a different computer a year ago. I use Reaper and Studio One without any freezes or crashes. I also have Cakewalk Sonar but the MIDI editing workflow is not intuitive as compared to the others. Studio One is just easy to follow. Never tried FL Studio.

You have to have either started with it and stuck with it through all the updates, or have A LOT of patience :hihi:

Everything works really, but it's not free-flowing at all imho. For example, it's one of TWO hosts I like that have no midi drag/drop. Oh sure you can d/d in FL studio, but you can't directly to the playlist. And there are not it's own lanes for audio. And patterns can drive me up a wall. I so used to those last things and it's cumbersome to have an idea and and go "ok, so, I have to have these patterns, then arrange them, make sure they are all set on the same channel, can't record audio in pattern mode, flipping back and fourth......error....error......illogical...... :hihi:

But it works. More than I can say for, oh, tracktion which poof-crashes all the time :roll:

EDIT, cripes, now I want a new host knowing FULL WELL there isn't one that actually works :lol: :cry:

incubus wrote:Y

EDIT, cripes, now I want a new host knowing FULL WELL there isn't one that actually works :lol: :cry:
:) i am coming around to that view as well. Reaper is pretty much all I need to edit and master audio. But it is not very inspiring, not much fun. So I am thinking of using Reaper as an audio hub that takes stuff done elsewhere in packages that have a focus on creative work rather than engineering eg FL Studio, this little app that aMUSEd mentioned today http://helioworkstation.com/, stuff using software i write.
In many ways returning to my younger days before software or when software packages were quite limited.

I guess that is mac only?

The only reason I got back on the carousel back in the day was that I was having some really bad crashes with a couple of SWS extensions that at the time were crashing like mad and I felt I needed them. Pity. Probably were fixed and I don't even know it after spending gobs of cash and wasting a ton of time. Hell, I don't even try and do stuff like that anymore :cry:

I'm a nut.

incubus wrote:I guess that is mac only?
worked for me on win10
incubus wrote: I'm a nut.
self-assessment is the best assessment :)

woggle wrote:
incubus wrote:Y

:) i am coming around to that view as well. Reaper is pretty much all I need to edit and master audio. But it is not very inspiring, not much fun. So I am thinking of using Reaper as an audio hub that takes stuff done elsewhere in packages that have a focus on creative work rather than engineering eg FL Studio, this little app that aMUSEd mentioned today http://helioworkstation.com/, stuff using software i write.
In many ways returning to my younger days before software or when software packages were quite limited.
Thanks for the link. That might be useful, because yes, I need another DAW.

Oh, well, the first link I saw said OSX. Oh well........

incubus wrote:Oh, well, the first link I saw said OSX. Oh well........
Helios is truly cross platform. Beyond that though, it's really not a DAW. It's just a nice lightweight tool to do midi compositions in and has some features that make that a lot of fun.

I moved from Studio One 3 to Logic Pro X as my main DAW for the time being. Although I was always working with multiple DAWs at the same time.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”