The budget way to connect ipad mini (lightening) to PC

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Thinking of buying a step sequencer to control my vst synths. However, I don't know which hardware to buy in order to connect ipad to PC (win10). I know that there is a camera kit but can it serve my purpose ?

Regards!
cowby

You can connect your ipad with the usb to lightning adapter that camewith your ipad. I dont fully understand what you want. Is the step sequencer on your ipad? I think i would rather buy a vst step seq and skip the ipad. If you want to connect an usb audio/midi interface to your ipad you would need the camera connection kit.

You could try midimux and the standard lightning cable if all you want to do is send midi.
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:You could try midimux and the standard lightning cable if all you want to do is send midi.
Yes, just create some pattern in the app within the ipad and trigger the vst in Studio one.

Okay, thanks and will take a look at midimux.

might as well go for studiomux, $3.00 more and you can stream audio also. All you need is the usb cable that comes with your ipad like somebody said. And another other similar app to studiomux is musicIO (but I think the dev said he was discontinuing windows support)
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Re midiio yes they did say they weren't going to support Windows anymore, to many support queries in relation to the number of sales
Instant human just add coffee

rtp Midi would be the real budget way.
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html
you don't even need the cable.

Does anybody use studiomux?
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

Hi,
Yes, the Camera Connection Kit for iPad can connect to your PC (Windows 10) and facilitate the use of a step sequencer to control VST synths.

Thanks

Studiomux sucks - never kept up to date and always breaks. Don't waste your money on something you need luck to get working.

Get a CCK dongle (some 3rd party have more ports but tend to stop working sooner).

Then either a Mio if you just want to send MIDI, or a small interface if you want to connect it to your main one.

rtp MIDI works great and is all you need for MIDI unless really tight timing matters (inherent network latency).

Wifi Sessions (on Windows via https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html ) and Bluetooth should work well for MIDI exchange but latency might be audible.

But the only stable way is an _orignal_ Apple USB3-Lighting Camera Adapter and an MIDI/ Audio Interface for the iPad. Something simple like iConnectivity mioXC or CME U2 MIDI Pro will do, as long as it's USB Class Compliant.

For Audio it gets way more complicated.

Studiomux and MusicIO are not longer maintained. They broke on Mac long tome ago and on Windows it's a gamble. StudioMUX was super great when it worked.

But also here the _orignal_ Apple USB3-Lighting Camera Adapter is central to stable funktionality for Lightning iPads.
Steinberg UR22 or M-Audio is a good choice. Some cheap Behringer will also do, again as long at it's USB Class Compliant aka no drivers, no control software.

The only capable interface that can host 2 computers and stream audio/midi between them (without ADDA-conversion) are from iConnectivity Audio4c and all Metric Halo 3d interfaces and probably the Lewitt Connect 6 (it at least can host 2 computers).

(I have the iConnectivity Audio2+, MIDI2+ (both stream audio and midi and both are out of production) and Metric Halo (audio, Mac only). All of them stable as a rock.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:07 am Studiomux sucks - never kept up to date and always breaks. Don't waste your money on something you need luck to get working.

Get a CCK dongle (some 3rd party have more ports but tend to stop working sooner).

Then either a Mio if you just want to send MIDI, or a small interface if you want to connect it to your main one.

rtp MIDI works great and is all you need for MIDI unless really tight timing matters (inherent network latency).
Can Mio be used to send MPE from Ableton on PC to iOS Garageband?

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:13 pm
Can Mio be used to send MPE from Ableton on PC to iOS Garageband?
MPE still uses the MIDI-1.1 Standard but has to be interpreted by the receiving software or gear. So I don't see a problem here.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”