Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

aMUSEd wrote:
LoopyFruit wrote:Has anyone got their legacy Halion licences back yet?

Thanks.
Still not yet, I only know of one or two that have.
Sorry, whether there is a info, through this "new" H5 licenses can be open Hypersonic ?

c_voltage wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
LoopyFruit wrote:Has anyone got their legacy Halion licences back yet?

Thanks.
Still not yet, I only know of one or two that have.
Sorry, whether there is a info, through this "new" H5 licenses can be open Hypersonic ?
It's what was stated by one of their forum reps that I quoted a few pages back in this thread. But it would be nice to have confirmation. The H5/Halionsonic license always used to also license Hypersonic, in fact that was the incentive Steinberg used to get those of us wedded to Hypersonic to crossgrade to Halionsonic as it was inferior in most respects (and tbh I mainly used that just to get a cheap way to Halion 5).

chk071 wrote:BTW, on a general note, i find it funny that everyone rants over developers not updating their software to the newest, shiny version, but, everyone complains if soon to be obsolete OS versions are not supported. Just mentioning, because, obviously, there is no logical reasoning behind that, it simply seems to depend on the situation on the sole individuals computer.
Apples and oranges... I was enthusiastic about HALion 6, and I am very pleased with it. That doesn't mean I want to burn bridges, and totally cut with the past, in what concerns 32-bit and Windows 7 support. What is so hard to understand? Supporting the new doesn't mean cutting the old completely (except if you are talking the Apple way) :borg:

I always praised Windows because of retrocompatibility, and I always praised Steinberg because any upgraded license would allow us to use the old versions still.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote:Just mentioning, because, obviously, there is no logical reasoning behind that, it simply seems to depend on the situation on the sole individuals computer.
Therefore there is a logical reason behind it :) (eg maybe they have an older laptop as well as a shiny new computer and need to run the older versions on that, or, as in the case of Hypersonic 2, they actually prefer the older version for some things)

If, for example, a developer supports Windows version from 7 onwards, and some people complain, that they can't run the plugin, or DAW on Windows XP, or Windows Vista, then i don't see a logical reason to support those OS's, just because a minority of users complains about not being able to run it. It will also bloat the product's price. Arguing that Steinberg has to support the OS i'm using is just arguing from the own point of view, there's nothing logical, or ilogical about it, when you see the bigger picture. Ok, in this case, one could argue that the amount of people still working with Windows 7 will be noteworthy. Although i really don't know how many are still working with WIndows 7. Win 10 already overtook 7, in terms of user figures, according to Netamrketshare and Statista, and, as every computer is shipped with Windows 10, it will become more and more with the time.

chk071 wrote:If, for example, a developer supports Windows version from 7 onwards, and some people complain, that they can't run the plugin, or DAW on Windows XP, or Windows Vista, then i don't see a logical reason to support those OS's, just because a minority of users complains about not being able to run it. It will also bloat the product's price. Arguing that Steinberg has to support the OS i'm using is just arguing from the own point of view, there's nothing logical, or ilogical about it, when you see the bigger picture. Ok, in this case, one could argue that the amount of people still working with Windows 7 will be noteworthy. Although i really don't know how many are still working with WIndows 7. Win 10 already overtook 7, in terms of user figures, according to Netamrketshare and Statista, and, as every computer is shipped with Windows 10, it will become more and more with the time.
Yeah but here the problem is more that the H6 license nuked the license for earlier versions that did support the earlier OSes. It's all well and good saying they can't be expected to support everything but to remove licenses for versions that did support earlier OSes was a miskake (and luckily they have realised that now)

chk071 wrote:... Although i really don't know how many are still working with WIndows 7. Win 10 already overtook 7, in terms of user figures, according to Netamrketshare and Statista, and, as every computer is shipped with Windows 10, it will become more and more with the time.
Netmarketshare indicates that Win7 has a 47% share of the os market...
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0

That's weird. Thought i saw a statistics where it held 36 % or the market sahre, and WIndows 7 held 35 %. Anyway, it will overtake Windows 7 sooner or later.

chk071 wrote:That's weird. Thought i saw a statistics where it held 36 % or the market sahre, and WIndows 7 held 35 %. Anyway, it will overtake Windows 7 sooner or later.
The point is they are locking out more than 50% of the ENTIRE market (47% of Windows 7 + 9% of Windows XP - and this is including Mac Os X, of which the latest OS versions only have less than 5%). A really strange decision from the business POV.

And if you could take a survey on the music market, that percentage would perhpas raise even more.
Fernando (FMR)

Don't take such a statistic as a general base within a certain market. Steam users use 50 % Windows 10, for example: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Steinberg will surely know what they're doing. Or at least be aware of what they're missing.

Googly Smythe wrote:
chk071 wrote:... Although i really don't know how many are still working with WIndows 7. Win 10 already overtook 7, in terms of user figures, according to Netamrketshare and Statista, and, as every computer is shipped with Windows 10, it will become more and more with the time.
Netmarketshare indicates that Win7 has a 47% share of the os market...
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0
And the data I saw in Statista (dated from July 2016) shows that Windows 7 still had 40,6% against 23,5% for Windows 10: https://www.statista.com/statistics/218 ... windows-7/
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote:BTW, on a general note, i find it funny that everyone rants over developers not updating their software to the newest, shiny version, but, everyone complains if soon to be obsolete OS versions are not supported. Just mentioning, because, obviously, there is no logical reasoning behind that, it simply seems to depend on the situation on the sole individuals computer.
By "soon" you mean still 3 years of time, and Windows 10 being the end-of-all-ends... sure. Definitely an "obsolete OS" in the business realm.

spot the sarcasm...

fmr wrote:I always praised Windows because of retrocompatibility, and I always praised Steinberg because any upgraded license would allow us to use the old versions still.
But that's the point of this discussion. With the release of Halion 6 and Halion Sonic 3, the "backwards compatibility" is not existing anymore - old licenses were simply "removed" or "blocked out".

And it's no secret these days that Steinberg ignores other OS's rather than the most current 2 ones. Especially on Apple, and now they do the same with Windows.

Like I said a couple of times. I'd love to know "what" Steinberg considers as "Windows 10". is it the whole shebang, or are we talking maintenance updates (including the upcoming one in April)? Because THEN we have a similar game as with Apple. Meaning... April update for Windows 10, upping it (theoretically) to Windows 10.2, only 2-3 OS versions backwards-support, ultimately locking out everyone(!) that is lower/equal to Windows 8.1.

And then we still have the "License Blocking" issue (that is still not solved in this particular case either)...

So this... is a very complicated and IMO dangerous game from now on for Steinberg as well.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

chk071 wrote:That's weird. Thought i saw a statistics where it held 36 % or the market sahre, and WIndows 7 held 35 %. Anyway, it will overtake Windows 7 sooner or later.
I pointed out to you like 10 pages ago that your Netmarketshare stats were completely wrong. Win 7 has a larger user base than Win 8 and 10 combined. Heck, it has almost more users than ALL other OS's combined. Win 7 is being supported for and least 3 more years, I'm not why you insist on making it sound like it is obsolete next month.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Well, it will be obsolete in 3 years, at the latest.

chk071 wrote:Well, it will be obsolete in 3 years, at the soonest.
Fixed that for ya. ;)
See: Win XP EOL schedule. It was extended because of the large user base.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Return to “Instruments”