Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

electro wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:04 pm Could you lend Andy your Muff collection for his next project? I would pre-order it.
I'm no Daniel Danger (well known EH pedal collector) - none of my Muffs are rare or out of production. Andy could go to Sweetwater and order them all for less than $500 USD. I guess my point was more: if doing a Muff, I hope we get some mods with lots of midrange or with the added Midrange controls on the Big Muff Deluxe series.

Why would Andy even need to have these various Big Muff-based pedals in his possession to create mod presets?

He’s probably using a real TubeScreamer for A/B comparisons for The Scream, but the code is a mathematical circuit model built from schematics. I highly doubt he has obtained all of the pedals he’s made TS mod presets for. Once his base model is finalized, he just needs the modification values from the mod pedals’ schematics.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 pm Why would Andy even need to have these various Big Muff-based pedals in his possession to create mod presets?

He’s probably using a real TubeScreamer for A/B comparisons for The Scream, but the code is a mathematical circuit model built from schematics. I highly doubt he has obtained all of the pedals he’s made TS mod presets for. Once his base model is finalized, he just needs the modification values from the mod pedals’ schematics.
Yeah, agree. It's more about the access to schematics.

But if doing a Big Muff, I'd recommend starting with a version with some control over the mids. If starting with a stock Muff, then any mids control can only come from changing resistor values versus having the 3 controls for it the Big Muff Deluxe has.

░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▒▒░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▓▓░░▒▒░░░░░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I like the green. I actually became much more interested in it when I installed the beta and saw that it had much more of a TubeScreamer look than I was expecting.

As a component-level model of a TubeScreamer, it needs to reinforce that statement with the GUI to give the user the complete experience.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

The Green is a big improvement and should stay. It's a TS after all. Must be green. If you want a black pedal, wait for the Rat!

I had forgotten about The Scream, after buying it a few years ago. Just rediscovered it, and yes, it sounds great! I had some fun doing some quick mods, but haven't tried editing the schematic yet. I will do that, but still, I'd be interested in some already edited mod presets. Are such files to be found anywhere?

I dont think that it's been mentioned before, but has, or will, the TS808-TMv.2, the second Tamura-modded collaboration with Godlyke been included in the priests, as well as the previous Godlyke mod? (Please, pretty please for Xmas 🙏)

Link for reference: https://www.guitarworld.com/news/godlyk ... ts808-tmv2

Got a schematic for those mods?

Like Funkybot has said, I need schematics to be able to implement a preset. I've bought multiple tube screamers to make sure The Scream is bang on in terms of quality, but I'm not going to buy every single modded TS to reverse engineer just for presets.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Here is a preview of the Factory Bank 1 presets, any feedback appreciated!

https://cytomic.com/files/forums/scream ... bank-1.zip

In going these I realised I need to add a lock for the main knobs so you can compare between the same drive / tone / level settings. Also a mod 1 copy to mod 2 and swap would be good.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

they're WAY too loud
i have to turn the Level down to about 3% to match. Then unable to lock the Level knob, so previewing the presets is painful.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:42 am In going these I realised I need to add a lock for the main knobs so you can compare between the same drive / tone / level settings. Also a mod 1 copy to mod 2 and swap would be good.
Agree with this. I think you could either implement a per-parameter right-click to lock feature (like U-he synths for example), or have a preference for "Lock main controls when browsing presets". But I think that should also lock the Pre+Post+Mix knobs as well.

I also don't love drive being at 0 in all the presets. The lock feature will negate a lot of the drawbacks of that, but I'm thinking it may make more sense to just come up with a default preset that sounds good and has reasonable levels for each preset+mod. Maybe a low to mid gain setting for each.

For future pedals, it may make sense to just have a preset system for the circuit that users can previous/next their way through, then just have presets for the entire plugin that include both the circuit preset + any pedal settings.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:30 am Like Funkybot has said, I need schematics to be able to implement a preset. I've bought multiple tube screamers to make sure The Scream is bang on in terms of quality, but I'm not going to buy every single modded TS to reverse engineer just for presets.
As you undoubtedly know, component variance is important, too.
Pedal makers like Analogman and Fulltone claim to test transistors, and throw out most.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to simulate component variance (and allow limiting them to some desired range), I don't know.

Return to “Effects”