Crystal World - how good is this quality now?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys,
This was some older track. Made some changes and huge improvements. It's a great positive tune. Can you share your thoughts on the quality of the track? I know I became much better learning mixing for 3 years now. But I am sure there is a lot of room to grow.

https://soundcloud.com/bixenter/crystal-world
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

before i even played it i knew i wasnt going to be able to get too far into it before fatige came on, and as expected,
squashed and loud *sigh*
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:before i even played it i knew i wasnt going to be able to get too far into it before fatige came on, and as expected,
squashed and loud *sigh*
Are you a loudwar hater or can you tell something helpful on this? I am not a mastering guy that much. Just know that mastering should do a gentle touch and few other things. I turned on few commercial tracks and made it as loud.

loud, squashed music sounds bad. dynamic range is our friend.
trying to listen to your song is like trying to eat a steak with salt piled all over it.

what, you think making it loud will make people hear it better or something?
no, its going to make them turn it down, wayyyyy down and make it sound
flat and lifeless as a pancake. just passing on valuable info, take it or leave it.

layzer wrote:loud, squashed music sounds bad. dynamic range is our friend.
trying to listen to your song is like trying to eat a steak with salt piled all over it.

flat and lifeless as a pancake. just passing on valuable info, take it or leave it.
OK. You're loudwar hater obviously. As it is not louder than commercial stuff out there. If you browse for video game music remixes, many would sound even louder. But I stick to a dance pop music level.

Ok, I'll play devils advocate a bit...with the proviso that the last time I played a computer game it was probably Manic Miner.

To me that doesn't sound massively squashed (a bit, but not horribly so - the limiting could be backed off a bit), more punchy than anything, which suits the drums to my ears. There's still obvious dynamics coming back from the quiet section so it's not as if all the life has been crushed out of it.

The standard response these days seems to be 'turn it up if you want more volume'. Perhaps there's a rejoinder - turn it down? :hihi:

Now I (or others) would probably mix it differently (we'd be having 4 multitracked guitars for a start.. :hihi: ) but there's nothing to say this approach is wrong.

I'll get me limiter..

donkey tugger wrote:Ok, I'll play devils advocate a bit...with the proviso that the last time I played a computer game it was probably Manic Miner.

To me that doesn't sound massively squashed (a bit, but not horribly so - the limiting could be backed off a bit), more punchy than anything, which suits the drums to my ears. There's still obvious dynamics coming back from the quiet section so it's not as if all the life has been crushed out of it.

The standard response these days seems to be 'turn it up if you want more volume'. Perhaps there's a rejoinder - turn it down? :hihi:

Now I (or others) would probably mix it differently (we'd be having 4 multitracked guitars for a start.. :hihi: ) but there's nothing to say this approach is wrong.

I'll get me limiter..
Oh don't tell me about Manic Miner. I loved that game pretty much and don't want to be addicted on it any time again.
But having a guitars is rearanging, not just mixing different. And I would be happy if you make a cover version on some of the The Guardian Legend music anyway, as it's my favorite game :D
Thanks!

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds ok on my hifi speakers. Maybe lacking a bit of high end interest, altho' that could be SCs encoding. Doesn't sound overloud to me.

arseniy2 wrote:
layzer wrote:loud, squashed music sounds bad. dynamic range is our friend.

OK. You're loudwar hater obviously. As it is not louder than commercial stuff out there. If you browse for video game music remixes, many would sound even louder. But I stick to a dance pop music level.
no, i like loud music.. LOUD AND DYNAMIC.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Sounds ok on my hifi speakers. Maybe lacking a bit of high end interest, altho' that could be SCs encoding. Doesn't sound overloud to me.
Have to agree with this. And uptempo music is always less dynamic.
I like the music, by the way! :tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Sounds ok on my hifi speakers.
a nuclear blast recorded redlined with maximum brickwall limiting would
probably sound good on your "hi fi speakers" as well, but anyone serious about
mixing would not use this much brickwalled squashing, even at a so called "commercial" level.

Googly Smythe wrote:And uptempo music is always less dynamic.
no, even uptempo music can be loud and dynamic, sounding as it should.... i use bluffmonkey again for an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJxytbNsE0

But...if people like it, does that make them less proficient and discerning as musicians then? I'm struggling a little with the concept that there's only one 'correct' way to do something, even if you like the results made a different way.

It's an interesting debate for sure.

donkey tugger wrote:But...if people like it, does that make them less proficient and discerning as musicians then? I'm struggling a little with the concept that there's only one 'correct' way to do something, even if you like the results made a different way.

It's an interesting debate for sure.
if someone calls the color white, black are they correct in doing so? no. the color white is white. and bad sounding squashed brickwalled music sounds bad. not good. call it good all you want, its still bad.

Return to “Music Cafe”