Tone2 Rayblaster 2 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

flakes2 wrote:downloaded an tested the beta and did a comparison with the old one (v1.1). the gui looks very similar, but there are alot of enhancements in the details which are easily overlooked

pros:
- patch browser
- drag & drop modulation :clap:
- the new patches are alot better than the old ones
- sounds better than the previous version. it has more high end and bottom
- the new effects, especially the reverbs are also a lot better
- great atmospheric sounds and very unique sound
- lots of sounds included. this will keep me busy for weeks
- right click on the knob opens a menu where you can assign stuff

cons:
- rather difficult to program
- not all patches are easy to use in the mix
Wow! That sounds great! Brought to you by Carl's Jr. :)
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Had the privilege to contribute to some of the factory patches for RB2, and while the deadline was a bit short i literally spent a month and a half only using RB2 in my DAW with RB1 in a slot underneath - just to compare. There is definitely a major difference in sound quality between the two.

As most have already noticed - RB1 sounds much thinner in comparison, which can make a world of difference if you aren't up for adding external effects to bring more weight on the low end. Sometimes getting out your ideas without having to go back and reiterate what should have been there in the first place can save some energy.

RB2 does include a lot of the effects options that are in Icarus. The new reverb features come in very handy for textural atmospheric sounds (and even crystalline drones) which RB2 is insanely capable of. Being a sucker for soundscapes - that caught my attention.

Yes. the GUI is almost identical to the previous version, but found it pretty easy to care less about considering the new inner shell is most definitely an improvement on the ears.

unless someone tested this with something approaching scientific rigor (using a spectrum analyser methodically for example), the sound differences could simply by a new EQ curve 'under the hood', as opposed to improved algos for handling analysis/resynthesis etc

Anyone who could be bothered to compare RB1 & RB2 on like-for-like sound differences should probably check if they can't slap an EQ on RB1 and come close to what they're hearing in RB2 if not get there completely.

anyway my experiences with Tone 2 have mirrored what some others have expressed in this thread. I own Elektra and thought the update situation wasn't good, and so I never did. I am interested in Gladiator and Rayblaster but never really pulled the trigger owing to experiences with Elektra's development. It seems hard to catch a break with Tone2 ... unless I've missed sales, I've never really noticed a 'no brainer' purchase opportunity where I could set aside my development concerns for the sums being asked.

that said, I'll probably check out RB again now that it's at version 2 ...

ymmv.

from the facebook page:
"RayBlaster 2 will be released the 3rd of March.
As you might already know, it will include a comfortable patch browser, drag&drop modulation, 500 new patches, enhanced sound quality, extended sonic range and a large number of new features.
The upgrade, is 100% downward compatible. It will be free for all users who purchased RayBlaster in 2016-forward. If you purchased before that you can upgrade at a 60% discounted price"

90€ for this update - no thanks

sacer wrote:90€ for this update - no thanks
Really?
Bad move... i think €49 is much better for both of tone2 and users.

sound sculptist

I thought 60% was on regular price of 149€
For 59€ I have to think about an update, ver2 doesn't sound much bether than V1, I have to step through the new presets. What I dislike is that V1 can't open the new presets and plays the last working V1 preset displayed with new V2 presetnmame.

sacer wrote:I thought 60% was on regular price of 149€
For 59€ I have to think about an update, ver2 doesn't sound much bether than V1, I have to step through the new presets. What I dislike is that V1 can't open the new presets and plays the last working V1 preset displayed with new V2 presetnmame.
Yes the 60% is on the regular price of 149. The 60% off is the discount, so you pay 40%, which is 59.

the rayblaster2 demo ate my licenced rayblaster1. it does not appear anymore in the vst list. any way to sort that out?

TrekStar wrote:the rayblaster2 demo ate my licenced rayblaster1. it does not appear anymore in the vst list. any way to sort that out?
Same thing for me.

Vertion wrote:I bought mine in 2015 too, so I missed the upgrade, guess I'll never know version 2. :-( I'm not sure how they are making up these random upgrade date limits or why, but it's a huge deterrent to possible returning customers. I've invested a large amount of money in Tone2, and with each move like this, it further defines why I won't come back, because I know I can expect more of the same treatment. They should make the upgrade available for any customer regardless of the purchase date.
This not going to be a popular thought, but I believe- they should not give any free upgrades at all. I bought my Tone2 in 2013 or 2014 and been a big fan since than. Have every expansion library. They were always very helpful- great people. But giving free upgrade to everyone who bought it in 2016 but not 2015 or earlier is not fair. The money we paid in 2015 were the same money or better (inflation) as in 2016. I understand that they need to make money and they want to sale their product, so they should make it equal for everybody. Sale it to new users, have upgrade price for those that have Rayblaster 1. No need to give anything for free. We work, we have money, we can pay. If they want to give it free, it should be to everyone or no one. No favorites. May be one month free upgrade, and the rest should have upgrade discount.

Ryan99 wrote:
TrekStar wrote:the rayblaster2 demo ate my licenced rayblaster1. it does not appear anymore in the vst list. any way to sort that out?
Same thing for me.
When I emailed Tone2 about this, the response was to make me feel a bit foolish: "Just reinstall RayBlaster."

Astralv wrote:
Vertion wrote:I bought mine in 2015 too, so I missed the upgrade, guess I'll never know version 2. :-( I'm not sure how they are making up these random upgrade date limits or why, but it's a huge deterrent to possible returning customers. I've invested a large amount of money in Tone2, and with each move like this, it further defines why I won't come back, because I know I can expect more of the same treatment. They should make the upgrade available for any customer regardless of the purchase date.
This not going to be a popular thought, but I believe- they should not give any free upgrades at all. I bought my Tone2 in 2013 or 2014 and been a big fan since than. Have every expansion library. They were always very helpful- great people. But giving free upgrade to everyone who bought it in 2016 but not 2015 or earlier is not fair. The money we paid in 2015 were the same money or better (inflation) as in 2016. I understand that they need to make money and they want to sale their product, so they should make it equal for everybody. Sale it to new users, have upgrade price for those that have Rayblaster 1. No need to give anything for free. We work, we have money, we can pay. If they want to give it free, it should be to everyone or no one. No favorites. May be one month free upgrade, and the rest should have upgrade discount.
Bullocks.

A good company knows how to build a good user base and keep the majority happy.
These days more and more companies are listening to their user base and project this onto their product(s).

We are all willing to pay for a good update. But (after trying the demo) this isn't worthy any money (IMHO) for Rayblaster owners. These enhancements/changes should've been introduced in the original RB. Instead, they just left RB with only truly little updates.....should've seen this coming, i guess. Saurus all over again.

Return to “Instruments”