Reaktor 6 Snapshots Have Me Totally Bumfuzzled

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, after watching a number of videos and getting some great tips from this forum (thank you guys) I finally put together my first sequencer system. It works great. But here's my problem and I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

I set up my parameters for my patch to save as a snapshot. I then save the snapshot and save the ensemble. So far so good.

I then change the parameters to create a 2nd snapshot and I save that. I do this for a 3rd snapshot and resave the ensemble.

I then pull up the ensemble again and all 3 snapshots are exactly the same except for the Unit Clock. That is the only module where the settings saved for each snapshot. For the other modules, each one has the value of the last snapshot I saved.

Then I tried something. Don't ask me why. I just had an idea.

I clicked on each separate module in the ensemble. For each separate module, as soon as I click on it, the snapshots at the left hand side vanish and there are no snapshots showing. The only module that shows the snapshots I created when I click on it is the Unit Clock.

So this is what I suspect is happening. When I store a snapshot, it is only storing for the Unit Clock and not for the entire ensemble.

So, my question is this.

How do you save a snapshot so that it saves the settings for each module in the ensemble?

Yes, I am using blocks.

** EDIT ** Additional Info

When I pull up an ensemble that came with Reaktor, at the left, when I choose the snapshots tab, all the banks and snapshots show there and also, at the top where it will initially show "Untitled Snapshot" it shows all the banks and snapshots there as well if I click in the window.

With my ensemble, the snapshots show at the left but above it still says "Untitled Snapshot" and I can't access the snapshots I saved from the middle window.

So something is not saving properly and I have no idea why.

Saving a preset should NOT be this difficult.

** 2nd EDIT **

Through lots of trial and error, I figured it out.

Saving snapshot made me mad even more than lack of multicore support :) This very-very unintuitive and cluttered thing.

+1
My frustration with snapshots turned me off on Reaktor right away, but it's hard not to like what it's capable of.

Yeah, i love Reaktors sound and capabilities but, snapshots and file organisation in general.... :o :)

NM Sorry, was for older version!
Last edited by VariKusBrainZ on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

What's weird is that they didn't address that in Reaktor 6. I mean, look at all other NI synths, great preset browsers, but no such thing for Reaktor, which it could use given the sheer amount of different types of content.

Go into Edit mode and then click 'Insert'.

Works for me
Amazon: why not use an alternative

wagtunes wrote:.....

** 2nd EDIT **

What fixed it for you?

BDeep wrote:What's weird is that they didn't address that in Reaktor 6.
This. I still in scary mode when trying to save presets.

felis wrote:
wagtunes wrote:.....

** 2nd EDIT **

What fixed it for you?
For anybody else having problems with this, this is what I've discovered.

Each module in an ensemble can have its own separate snapshots.

So let's say you've put together a massive sequencer program with 4 oscillators and 6 filters and 6 sequencers and on and on.

Each one of those individual modules can have snapshots made.

So let's say for your one filter you want to create 10 different snapshots, say 4 different LP settings, 4 different HP settings and 2 different BP settings. This way, all you have to do is go to the snapshots for that particular module, and pull up the one you want instead of having to manually reprogram the filter each time you want to make a new collective snapshot for the entire ensemble.

And the way you do this, individually, is you go to the upper left hand corner of Reaktor and you'll see a drop down box that lists each individual module in your ensemble. Pick out the module you want and the snapshot list under it to the right will change based on what snapshots you've already created for it. Or you could just click on the module itself in the patch.

This way, you can easily mix and match snapshots for the various modules just by picking out each one separately.

Now, to actually save the snapshot for the whole ensemble, you need to go back to that list in the top left hand corner and select the top entry, which is the ensemble itself. Store the snapshot there and when you pull the ensemble back up, the snapshot will appear to the left and also in the main drop down in the center of Reaktor at the top.

What I was doing previously was choosing the Clock In and saving my snapshots there. So all that was being saved were the Clock In settings as they changed from snapshot to snapshot.

Is this explained anywhere in the manual? No, of course not. NI has to have some of the worst manuals on the planet, which is why I no longer bother reading them. They're almost a total waste of time. And forget about finding a tutorial online that explains this, unless it's in one of those pay for programs. YouTube? Nothing. Even doing a regular Google search I came up empty.

On the plus side, as messy as this system is, it's very flexible and you can really get into some complex snapshot manipulation, especially as your ensembles get more and more complex. That is of course assuming you want to make 20 or 30 different snapshots for 50 different individual modules.

Yeah, after a while it can get quite insane.

Mate, you're wrong about manual ;) Do not know how you do the search...

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -REAKTOR-6

If you build your own modules, you must include a "Snap Value" component on every parameter to be saved. Some modules might not have that. I'm actually not sure how it works for the basic knobs and buttons, if snap value is required or not, but some things will require it.

Reaktor manual is pretty good. And yes, snapshots are explained in the manual - there's a whole section for them in it. Snapshots are per instrument, not per ensemble. That's how it has always been - and it's actually a pretty cool and flexible system. If you're bothered by that, save a preset (File->Save Preset), as that stores the whole ensemble in an .nrkt file (bonus: you can double-click that file from Explorer or wherever and it opens Reaktor with everything as you saved it).

Here, first sentence in "Snapshots" manual chapter:
Snapshots (also known as patches, programs, or presets) enable you to store and recall an Instrument's sounds.
INSTRUMENT'S sounds. Not ensemble's!
camsr wrote:If you build your own modules, you must include a "Snap Value" component on every parameter to be saved. Some modules might not have that. I'm actually not sure how it works for the basic knobs and buttons, if snap value is required or not, but some things will require it.
That's not required at all for basic GUI elements. It is required for XY pads, mouse areas, and such, AFAIK.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:Reaktor manual is pretty good. And yes, snapshots are explained in the manual. Snapshots are per instrument, not per ensemble. That's how it has always been - and it's actually a pretty cool and flexible system. If you're bothered by that, save a preset (File->Save Preset), as that stores the whole ensemble in an .nrkt file (bonus: you can double-click that file from Explorer or wherever and it opens Reaktor with everything as you saved it).
camsr wrote:If you build your own modules, you must include a "Snap Value" component on every parameter to be saved. Some modules might not have that. I'm actually not sure how it works for the basic knobs and buttons, if snap value is required or not, but some things will require it.
That's not required at all for basic GUI elements. It is required for XY pads, mouse areas, and such, AFAIK.
I'm actually cool with snapshots now that I understand how they work.

I don't mind the snapshot system except for when you have multiple instances of an ensemble in a project.When you save a snapshot in one instance it won't reflect the new snapshot in the other instances until you reload the project or ensemble, You also have to be mindful to save the correct instance to not overwrite the recently saved snapshot.
Saving as a preset instead of a snapshot helps this issue, However this wont work for multiple instruments in an ensemble that have their own snapshots, Presets just save the state of the whole ensemble (I could be wrong about this?).
I hope NI improve the snapshot system as at the moment it's difficult to manage when using multiple instances in a daw.

Return to “Instruments”