Lindell 254E (or now 354)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lindell Audio 254E Lindell Audio 354E

The PA Lindell plugins are coded by LSR Audio, correct? They do great things, flying well under the radar.

The LSR guy has got talent for sure.
Dub it up blacker than dread

Plus if you notice, that thing has optional Oversampling, offering up to 16x.

Thats just plain madness!! Sure to bring any beast of a system to it's knees quivering, pleading for mercy!!

Tempted to give it a test one day, certainly couldn't work with it using that much juice though. I'm not even certain at all whether the effect of a 16x oversample would be that noticeable.

Should help with aliasing though - I would try a render export with it on and with it off and compare. Usually you'd turn off oversampling until your final mix/master render where the CPU can take as long as it needs to process what it needs to.

The clipper in Limitless has 64x oversample :) There is a noticeable difference between no oversampling and say, 2 or 4x oversampling, but yeah after that the difference is practically imperceptible (ie: the difference between 8x and 64x OS) but I'm happy to switch it to the highest setting when rendering the final.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Should help with aliasing though - I would try a render export with it on and with it off and compare. Usually you'd turn off oversampling until your final mix/master render where the CPU can take as long as it needs to process what it needs to.

The clipper in Limitless has 64x oversample :) There is a noticeable difference between no oversampling and say, 2 or 4x oversampling, but yeah after that the difference is practically imperceptible (ie: the difference between 8x and 64x OS) but I'm happy to switch it to the highest setting when rendering the final.
Yeah this is what I was thinking.

Can't wait for the soundcloud clips of that :hihi:

incubus wrote:Can't wait for the soundcloud clips of that :hihi:
You mean the "Guess which one has oversampling on?" soundclips? Hehehe it's splitting hairs at that point, for sure.

Actually, it's the "by the time it gets to something as shitty sounding as soundcloud" soundclips :hihi:

But yeah. No, I'm always interested in better sound, or "higher fidelity" :lol: (an oldie but a goodie) But by the time it reaches your audience, it's generally f**ked.

You tube has gotten better. Really much better.

incubus wrote: No, I'm always interested in better sound, or "higher fidelity" :lol: (an oldie but a goodie)
Hifi from 'analog' gear? Try digital!

It was from a very very very VERY old thread. One where "better sound" and "higher fidelity" are not the same :lol:

simon.a.billington wrote:Plus if you notice, that thing has optional Oversampling, offering up to 16x.

Thats just plain madness!! Sure to bring any beast of a system to it's knees quivering, pleading for mercy!!

Tempted to give it a test one day, certainly couldn't work with it using that much juice though. I'm not even certain at all whether the effect of a 16x oversample would be that noticeable.
This is an interesting plug for sure, when I first demoed it I wasn't that taken by it but picked it up in a sale last summer and I've used it since mostly as an additional glue on master bus even though it was meant to be a hard hitting limiter to put balls on heavy tracks. Haven't tried it as a limiter yet, spent some time getting my head around gain staging this and accidentally rediscovered the oversampling! Good point, you can track as normal or on 2X and render with 16X (pity they don't do like D16 and have offline rate). I'll have to take a look at it in full on heavy compression again. Overall I really like it! The Lindell pre-amp is really nice too, I use that everywhere.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Should help with aliasing though - I would try a render export with it on and with it off and compare. Usually you'd turn off oversampling until your final mix/master render where the CPU can take as long as it needs to process what it needs to.

Oh yeah it helps with aliasing, but at some point the effect becomes inaudible, even in a mix. I'm just sure where that point is.

We have all been listening to mixes made in the box for the last 10 years or so, with less oversampling, I haven't heard of anyone complains of too much aliasing side-effect!! HAHA!!

You wouldn't even be able to tell with streamed media.

So 16-64x oversampling, I'm curious, but I can't say I'll reduce my track count down to 10 just so I can work in a way where no-one who listens is going to tell a difference.

malachy5 wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:Plus if you notice, that thing has optional Oversampling, offering up to 16x.

This is an interesting plug for sure, when I first demoed it I wasn't that taken by it but picked it up in a sale last summer and I've used it since mostly as an additional glue on master bus even though it was meant to be a hard hitting limiter to put balls on heavy tracks. Haven't tried it as a limiter yet, spent some time getting my head around gain staging this and accidentally rediscovered the oversampling! Good point, you can track as normal or on 2X and render with 16X (pity they don't do like D16 and have offline rate). I'll have to take a look at it in full on heavy compression again. Overall I really like it! The Lindell pre-amp is really nice too, I use that everywhere.
Yeah I think all devs should do an offline mode. The trouble is, I'd always forget to turn the oversampling back up!! Haha!!

IK has this annoying thing where you have to reread the plugin after turning on oversampling, except for their latest plugins, which I hope is the way of the future for them.

So with a session loaded with all sorts of IK plugins the easier thing is to reload there session after the preference change. Annoying as hell. I think they need to be on a per instance basis, as with their latest efforts. But also a global preference so you change the oversampling all at once based on whether you are mixing or rendering tracks.

Haven't tried the 354 quite yet (will starting later today) but thought I'd add it to the discussion (I didn't see a thread and search came up bubkiss)

incubus wrote:Haven't tried the 354 quite yet (will starting later today) but thought I'd add it to the discussion (I didn't see a thread and search came up bubkiss)
I'm interested in the 354 as I like the 254, but, not even at the current sale price. I'll wait for one of those PA magic sales or just go without.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”