FR: CLI parameter support for Patchwork

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I currently use a VST host to allow me to use my favorite audio editor as my default editor in Windows. It supports calls like:

Code: Select all

Host.exe editor.dll sound_file.wav
As far as I can tell Patchwork only accepts the .preset argument.

Directly calling VST .dll's with parameters would be a simple, but very welcome, addition.
-

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now the use of presets is mandatory because loading a single VST is not fully defined (some people would like it to be loaded with a single slot, some others would prefer another default configuration).

Why not loading the VST first, configure PatchWork the way you want, and save it as a preset that you can reload with the command line?

Why not loading the VST first, configure PatchWork the way you want, and save it as a preset that you can reload with the command line?
I've actually done this, it seems to be the best solution I've got for right now. The problem is that I can't use it to launch arbitrary files as there's no way to pass further parameters to the VST's being called. Only to launch the VST itself.

For example:

Code: Select all

start "Patchwork Sound Editor" C:\Patchwork.exe C:\Edison.dll %*
is a .BAT file I could associate with the .WAV extension in Windows, and whenever I double click any .WAV file, that specific file would be opened by Edison. While I can currently use PatchWork to launch Edison via a preset, there's no way for me to hand Edison further information about what I want it to immediately do.

I am not aware of a protocol that lets you load a VST with parameters, so I am not sure what this host is doing. I don't think it could be applicable to PatchWork.

Yeah, I was surprised when this worked myself. Image-Line's MiniModularHost allows me to load Edison with parameters. (The host lacks support of plugin resizing, hence my reason for wanting to use PatchWork instead). It sounds like this is an edge case so I understand why it's not supported. I appreciate you looking into it.

Since the host and plug-in are from the same company they have probably added custom features for it.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”