AudioThing Outer Space - Tape Echo - NEW v2.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Outer Space

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:Suggestion for the "back panel" enhancements: Perhaps some of the controls here could be extra to the original design. For example, an LFO that would allow for programmable doppler shifts.
I spent quite a bit of time with this today and really liked it. Awesome [free!] upgrade. Some completely unnecessary things that still might be cool on the back panel:

1. HP/LP filters in the feedback loop
2. Chorus (the RE-301 Chorus Echo had one)
3. Volume trims for each tape head
4. Pan pots for each head
5. Diffusion amount knob (for the delay, not verb)
6. Swing knob
7. Offset control for the delay times on each tape head

In addition, I'd like to see the option to turn flip the meter on the front panel from output gain to input gain as needed. Oh, and I'd like to be able to turn the dial a full 360 degrees. Currently, when you get to the last mode, the only way to get to Mode 1 is to reverse things. In the software, going all the way around should be allowed IMO.

As is, it's a lot of fun. Just some suggestions since Audio Thing seems open to additions.
Love these suggestions, especially the hp/lp filters.

So glad the developer didn't choose to go the purist route :tu:

Richard deHove wrote:Suggestion for the "back panel" enhancements: Perhaps some of the controls here could be extra to the original design. For example, an LFO that would allow for programmable doppler shifts.
I'm not so sure about this, but I'll consider it. I'm building a list of suggestions and ideas to see what's feel right or not.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I spent quite a bit of time with this today and really liked it. Awesome [free!] upgrade. Some completely unnecessary things that still might be cool on the back panel:
I'll go one by one:

> 1. HP/LP filters in the feedback loop
Sounds reasonable, although I'd probably prefer just the LP (which is already there, just not user-controllable). I'll think about it.

> 2. Chorus (the RE-301 Chorus Echo had one)
I've got other requests for that, but I feel like this feature should be in another plugin altogether.

> 3. Volume trims for each tape head
> 4. Pan pots for each head

Absolutely yes and already in the todo-list.

> 5. Diffusion amount knob (for the delay, not verb)
Not sure what you mean, isn't volume/pan for each head enough to do "diffusion"?

> 6. Swing knob
This might be cool.

> 7. Offset control for the delay times on each tape head
Right now you can manually change the offset for Head 2 and 3 in sync mode, it will stay there when modulating the rate (unless you go over the maximum). When not in sync, I'd prefer it to be as the original, since the ranges are not so broad anyway.

> In addition, I'd like to see the option to turn flip the meter on the front panel from output gain to input gain as needed.
Nice idea, will do.

> Oh, and I'd like to be able to turn the dial a full 360 degrees.
Ah, that's something I wanted to do actually, but was completely dragged by the rest. I'll see if I can implement it, as the original :)
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:As is, it's a lot of fun. Just some suggestions since Audio Thing seems open to additions.
Absolutely, please, keep them coming :) I'm always open to suggestions and discussions about new features.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Love these suggestions, especially the hp/lp filters.

So glad the developer didn't choose to go the purist route :tu:
Ah yes, I think that a software emulation should always bring more, while trying to follow the original concept of course. One of the reasons I'll probably not include a chorus option.

audiothing wrote:> 1. HP/LP filters in the feedback loop
Sounds reasonable, although I'd probably prefer just the LP (which is already there, just not user-controllable). I'll think about it.
Just to weigh in on this. I don't remember a time when I didn't HP a delay :shrug:

audiothing wrote:Ah yes, I think that a software emulation should always bring more, while trying to follow the original concept of course.
There have been discussions I have seen on occasion where those who requested sync on a tape delay were considered heathens, and destined for exile :o You only need to spend a couple of minutes with your plug using sync to realise the possibilities.

audiothing wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:...an LFO that would allow for programmable doppler shifts.
I'm not so sure about this, but I'll consider it. I'm building a list of suggestions and ideas to see what's feel right or not.
How about if it was conceived more as a bipolar "Doppler release" knob ? :)

I know this might affect your other plugins, I always appreciate the ability to click on parameter values as displayed on the GUI and have the control jump to that setting (eg. if i have the selector on 1 and I click 3, the selector would jump to 3)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Just to weigh in on this. I don't remember a time when I didn't HP a delay :shrug:
Fair enough, LP/HP controls added to the list for rear panel ;)
Richard deHove wrote:
audiothing wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:...an LFO that would allow for programmable doppler shifts.
How about if it was conceived more as a bipolar "Doppler release" knob ? :)
Eheh, I like the idea of a dedicated Doppler control (instead of a generic LFO). I'll do some tests.

plexuss wrote:I know this might affect your other plugins, I always appreciate the ability to click on parameter values as displayed on the GUI and have the control jump to that setting (eg. if i have the selector on 1 and I click 3, the selector would jump to 3)
Ah, that's good indeed, as the tape switch basically (but also other plugins like the selector on Speaker).
Will do!

audiothing wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Fair enough, LP/HP controls added to the list for rear panel ;)
:hug:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

and the 2017 Dev of the Year goes to...

unlike some pricks on KVR who seem to defy all logic, Carlo you're a gem mate!

Thanks! :party:

By the way, we just found a bug, Pro Tools only: Head 1 setting will not recover correctly on saved projects if was set manually (and not using the Repeat Rate knob). Fix is coming, along with a few other minor things, thanks to your suggestions of course!

Outer Space is used on the percussive wind-like sound that opens and closes this track as well as the dub like effect on a short vocal synth sound through-out the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDmHuzAvRw
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hello Carlo,

I bought Outer Space and just wanted to chime in here to congratulate you for a very good and special plugin. You and your whole audiothing endeavour really evolved. More than two years have gone by since I bought my MiniBit (all you others check out that nasty, little beeper!) and you really raised the bar since then even more.

Keep it up, you got the perfectly right direction. :)

Return to “Effects”