Reason for Ipad??!!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In a interview for the swedish music site Studio Ernst Nathorst-Böös, Propellerhead CEO says:

– Det stämmer, vi jobbar på att släppa Reason som app, men jag kan inte i nuläget säga exakt när det är klart, säger Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

So Ph are working on Reason for Ipad, and according to the interview android isn't out of the question.

Interview in swedish: http://studio.idg.se/2.1078/1.678945/in ... -mobil-app

Interesting. Seem snot exactly clear what they planning and when this might happen.
But in general iOS seems to atract more of the bigger developers.

But it will be Reasonitis, not the same version as on OSX/Win ?

I mean like Cubasis is to Cubase

Google Translate wrote:By: Hasse Nilsson 2017-03-27 09:34
Interview: "Reason is released as a mobile app"

We have talked with the CEO of Propellerhead Software for the near future for the company that produces the popular recording software.

Since Ernst Nathorst-Böös, Marcus Zetterquist and Peter Cheers founded the Swedish company is developing 23 years ago, the company has often gone against the tide. In the beginning was missing the main product Reasonable both audio recording and plugs, in contrast to competitors Logic, Cubase and others.

Later, in 2009, was added the audio recording as a separate program for later integrated in Reason 2011. Propellerhead has also produced a proprietary sound card that was last manufactured in 2014. From the outside, it looked as though the business from the start operated under the now, in it- context, well-established principle: to dare to try - and close down if it does not work.

- Yes, a little bit so it has been, but at the same time the core of what we do, retained by the changes. We want to help as many people as possible to make music, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös, CEO of Propellerhead Software.

Today Propellerhead 30 employees and is still growing. The base is still Stockholm and Sweden, but it is of course overseas as Reason has become a big hit and is often described as an important part of the Swedish music export success.

- We never go out with the exact figures, but the case of several million users internationally, explains Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

Support plugs
When most, if not all other recording software supports third-party plug (VST, AU, AAX, et cetera), the company has stubbornly held onto the internal virtual instruments and effects in Reason. This until 2012 when the format, some would call it the platform, Rack Extensions introduced. RE, as it is abbreviated, is Propellerheads own format which allows external companies and individual developers to produce and then sell, or give away for free, everything from software synthesizers to preamp emulators.

- There has been, and is, a great success for us in several ways. At present, over 300 Re-plugs from 130 different manufacturers available for Reason users, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

Among the companies that develop the RE-plugs, you will find well-known names such as Korg, Softube and Rob Papen, but there is also a large group of so-called indie developers.

- It's really very interesting. Some of them have built their first plugs in our format, which shows that it is relatively easy to get started while making our selection more special, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

Tight band
As we wrote about earlier, collaborative platform for musicians, Allihoopa, an offshoot of a project started internally at Propellerhead. Allihoopa is now a fully independent company, although of course there are strong ties between operations.

- The start of Allihoopa has given us a great opportunity to think again and start to explore how we take what we do to the next level, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

As we move into Apple's online store App Store, we see that two mobile apps, Figure and Take, formerly Propellerheads, now Allihoopa as manufacturers and information about the apps are not left on the Propellerhead website. It makes us in turn to guess that a new focus on music create apps can be on time.

- That's right, we are working to release the Reason as an app, but I can not at present say exactly when that is done, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

He explains that Propellerhead not have the ambition to develop Reason exactly as it works on computers and translate it directly into touch-screens.

- No, we have realized over the years that musicians and producers who use Reason has strong feelings about just our program, and then you have to do it the right way, so that the experience is the right one to several different kinds of screens, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

Reason for Android
So far, Propellerheads only developed apps for Apple's iOS and difficulties in producing sound and music apps for Android are well known. These include Android in many varieties and companies that produce hardware often have special versions that come with the products.

- I'm not certain that Reason comes to Android, but we are recruiting right now developers who are experts in the platform and will explore the possibilities carefully, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

According Propellerheads president in 2017 will be the company's most intense year in a long time. The end of January was released Reason 9.2 which included a development of Re-format and new tools for developing businesses.

- We will also introduce more exciting news for Reason for this year, says Nathorst-Böös.

The question of the day is whether he can do any music with Reason given what just told Studio.

- I have finally, after many years, had his own room at home where I can have all the gadgets online and ready, so I hope to have more time to it than before, says Ernst Nathorst-Böös.

More about Reason and Propellerhead Software can be found on the company website.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I would expect a very basic RE player type app, so they can squeeze every last penny out of the technology
Duh

Would love this. iPad is the future of music production. Just needs more serious software.

realdavidai wrote:Would love this. iPad is the future of music production. Just needs more serious software.
No way!
It's a great tool but not the future!
How could it ever replace a desktop or even notebook.
They work great together. But for sure it's not THE future!

Cinebient wrote:
realdavidai wrote:iPad is the future of music production.
No way!
It wasn't that long ago we said the same thing about laptops: no way these can have the same processing power as a desktop computer. And what about peripherals such as PCI audio interfaces?

Look at the world today: laptops everywhere and the old desktop computers pile up at the junkyard. Paired with a (bluetooth) keyboard, the bigger tablets are taking over. Not only iPads but also the MS Surface Pro etc...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I spend more time noodling on my iPad than my computers these days but I agree that it is NOT the future.

The biggest problem is that traditional interfaces don't work well. There are fantastic multitouch interfaces for IOS stuff but when you port over a traditional synth with loads of knobs it just doesn't work well. It is hard to make fine adjustments on knobs.

On Reason, it's strength for me (before I sold it when they went over to REs) was the patching. Much as I love my Model 15 on my iPad patching its relatively small interface is not much fun. Imagine trying to run CV cables down a massive rack in a straight port of Reason. Not going to happen.

BertKoor wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
No way!
It wasn't that long ago we said the same thing about laptops: no way these can have the same processing power as a desktop computer. And what about peripherals such as PCI audio interfaces?

Look at the world today: laptops everywhere and the old desktop computers pile up at the junkyard. Paired with a (bluetooth) keyboard, the bigger tablets are taking over. Not only iPads but also the MS Surface Pro etc...
Like i say often, at the end they all computers and just have a different GUI to work with.
For synths and as interesting midi controller iPads are great but multi-touch can be a terrible pain compared to a precise track-pad or mouse for editing.
It's great for many things but not the best thing to replace things which working since decades a lot better and faster.
IPads are powerful these days, yes. But a desktop or powerful notebook will always be faster, has more RAM and you can connect more to it.
My 4 years old Macbook can still handle 10x more compared to the latest iPads and iPhones.
But the worst thing is the app store system with all it's restrictions.
I used now all these things for several years and i see a lot pro and contra for each of them.
People often compare iPads to old notebooks and desktops but they changed a lot.
You won't see big professional tools on iPads anytime soon like you won't see triple A games like Mass Effect Andromeda etc. on iOS orcAndroid devices.
In a few years maybe.....but why waiting for the invention of the wheel again.
There are already terrible touch optimized apps which feels more like bad desktop ports which works better on big screens and pointer input.
Of course there are great apps using multi-touch how it should be like Borderlands, Samplr, Geoshred etc.
Maybe i'm just tired of these mobile tools and need a refresh but i don't see any revolutionary things there anymore.
I'm mobile and much more powerful with a good notebook.
Holding or starring on an iPad is more painful for my neck and back compared to have a comfortable notebook on my legs or desk :hihi:
Anyway i hope in some years there is just a giant OS and some genius algorithm which let me use my software and scale it for any device with any form of input.
Microsoft might try this way while Apple focus on mobile consumer devices which have a lot great things but will holding back really huge pro tools because of the bad app store eco system and the consumers which are more interested in cheap apps to play around.
I mean could you replace a guitar for a violin?
Different things for the same love!

BertKoor wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
No way!

Laptops still dont have the same processing power as a desktop, they will always run behind in the name of heat and power consumption, there's no real way around that

You're also comparing the computing market in general with that of power users. Yes creative pc work is a power user scenario, so just like doing various types of research and number crunching, large programming projects, etc, you will need desktop power. But the average user surfing, emailing, watching videos, dont need that power

ezelkow1 wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
No way!

Laptops still dont have the same processing power as a desktop, they will always run behind in the name of heat and power consumption, there's no real way around that

You're also comparing the computing market in general with that of power users. Yes creative pc work is a power user scenario, so just like doing various types of research and number crunching, large programming projects, etc, you will need desktop power. But the average user surfing, emailing, watching videos, dont need that power
Exactly. I mean even if ARM chips would be better, you could put 12 of them in a desktop and clock it much higher etc.
Let's wait for quantum computers :)

The average user (Which is what is being discussed obviously, right ? Because extreme use case can prove any argument) do not need the massive amounts of desktop power, laptops have actually caught up in that regard, most average music makers happily work on laptops instead of desktops.
I would also estimate that cost of entry has always been a factor to the average user too, and the cost of entry of a usable powerful laptop has dropped significantly, even if it isnt the very latest CPU generation.
Duh

"Among the companies that develop the RE-plugs, you will find well-known names such as Korg, Softube and Rob Papen, but there is also a large group of so-called indie developers."

Yeah right: the Korg Poly Six.
I bet Korg regret their ignorance by now.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

bungle wrote:The average user (Which is what is being discussed obviously, right ? Because extreme use case can prove any argument) do not need the massive amounts of desktop power, laptops have actually caught up in that regard, most average music makers happily work on laptops instead of desktops.
I would also estimate that cost of entry has always been a factor to the average user too, and the cost of entry of a usable powerful laptop has dropped significantly, even if it isnt the very latest CPU generation.
Most laptops have not actually caught up in that regard. The majority of laptops are using intel 'U' variant processors. Those are basically equivalent to the old core2duo processors from many years ago. I have one in my 2in1, and a single vst can easily overload it. To even come close to workable performance you need an MQ or HQ processor and to get those those laptops generally start closer to 1100$ (except for a few rare cases and older models). In comparison you can build a desktop that would wipe the floor with that 1000$ laptop for 500 or less

And no, we arent talking about the average user. The average user case and the average music maker case are still completely different in power needs. The true average user could still happily computer with 10+ year old equipment (my parents are completely happy with an old c2d laptop I gave them years ago). This is why so many people are just fine with tablets for every day use.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”