Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote:PietW, On the wave table oscillator panel on the far left click on Parameters.
That will bring up the panel with the three waveform graphs in the middle.
Click on the File button on the left if you want to save the left side wave.
That will bring up the wave browser in the middle window.
Choose your destination folder in the left side folder window.
Click Save Table.
Then a new wave table file (should) be added to the file list on the right.

If not, let me know, and tell me your system Windows or Mac, OS version or deployment number and your Fathom version.
Yeah. Perfekt. Thanks. :-)
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Cool, Glad it worked!

FathomSynth wrote:Frostline, Thanks, I'm loading up your project now.

I only see the glued sample tracks.

How do I get the midi rolls to display?

I tried unlocking them but I can't seem to find a way to display the midi roll like I can in a new project or in any of my test projects?

I tried right clicking on the items but ungroup is grayed out.

Sorry, there does not seem to be any way to unglue the items.

Could you send the same project before they were glued so I can open the midi rolls and then perform the glue-ing so I can reproduce the problem.
Sorry, I keep forgetting that you may not regularly use Reaper. :dog:
The track is frozen (as I stated), so to get the midi back you unfreeze it.
Please try doing this..
https://youtu.be/KnWZE-6lS7Q
That way I will know if I am packing all the necessary parts in the zip file.

If that does not work here is an unfrozen version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wajfujpnc7mf1 ... n.zip?dl=0
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline, OK I found the problem.

The noise is getting stuck on because the BPM is changing form 120 to 140. This bug is caused by an interaction between calculating the ADSR volume decay necessary to turn off the note noise and the ADSR going into real time mode because of the BPM change.

Temporarily there is a work around. You can take the same ADSR modulating the volume and use it to modulate the oscillator Noise Volume.

:borg: OK, I PM'd you a BETA which should fix the problem. Let me know if it does and I will release the fix for everyone. :clap:

This time a crash log. Fathom crashed Logic by option-draging a Fathom instance onto another track, which contained already a muted Fathom instance. As Fathom is not MPE compatible yet, I have to do that often. I have a scripter which separates the midi channels and thus I only have to drag the same instance around into the other tracks. With Fathom I have to empty the instrument slot first, or it crashes. I have no idea if that is due to an Apple fault or due to Fathom...
The attached crash log might enlighten this issue. Its not a big deal, because I know the work around, but anyway, want to let you know about it...
The best work around would be to have voice per channel mode in Fathom of course...; - )

FYI: there's no attachment, I think. It doesn't seem to happen to me (Logic 10.4.1, OSX 10.13.3).

In the meantime, to avoid option-dragging, you can duplicate the track (Track > Other > New track with dupl. sett) or use the Copy/Paste channel strip settings from the top channel strip button.

FLWrd wrote:FYI: there's no attachment, I think. It doesn't seem to happen to me (Logic 10.4.1, OSX 10.13.3).

In the meantime, to avoid option-dragging, you can duplicate the track (Track > Other > New track with dupl. sett) or use the Copy/Paste channel strip settings from the top channel strip button.
Oh, text files don't work...
Logic Fathom Crashlog.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TJ, I need to understand the problem better.

Why would you drag one Fathom track onto another?
What is suppose to happen.
At what point exactly is it crashing?

Can you list some simple steps so I can reproduce in Mac with Logic Pro?

Just a heads up. There will be new release tomorrow.

These bugs will be fixed.

Fixed Bug 0150 Notes stick on during Reaper track freeze.
Fixed Bug 0151 ADSR attack phase does not start where release phase ends.
Fixed Bug 0152 Allow four times magnification of envelope graph.
Fixed Bug 0153 Envelope graph jumps to start on second magnify drag.
Fixed Bug 0154 Crash if close gui while front panel EQ graph is fading out.
Fixed Bug 0155 Copy of additive spectrum oscillator should copy harmonics.

TJ, If you want your fix in with this release, I'll need some more detailed steps.
I tried copying and dragging tracks in Mac Logic Pro but nothing crashes.
When I drag tracks it just moves them, it does not copy anything.
Also I'm running Mac in windows so I have no Options key.
See if there is a way to make it crash without needing the Options key so I can debug.

FathomSynth wrote:TJ, If you want your fix in with this release, I'll need some more detailed steps.
I tried copying and dragging tracks in Mac Logic Pro but nothing crashes.
When I drag tracks it just moves them, it does not copy anything.
Also I'm running Mac in windows so I have no Options key.
See if there is a way to make it crash without needing the Options key so I can debug.
I am not quite sure if the problem is on your side at all, but the reason I do that is getting a sort MPE behavior.
I have 8 tracks, each has a scripter which filters just the events of one midi channel and feeds that to mixerchannel each equipped with a fathom instance. The fastest way of filling the same preset into these 8 Fathom instances is draging them in. That works fine if there is no Fathom loaded yet. I recall, I had the same crash in Mainstage as well... Doing it without option-drag would not make sense, because it would require to open 8 windows one after another...
Though, thinking about it, does Fathom support program change commands? Then I could load those presets with a program change...

Obviously a single instance of Fathom does not use multiple cores. (I get much more voices out of my MPE construct than out of a single instance). Maybe there is some threading issue - is Fathom threadsafe?

As I said, its not such a big deal. I actually would prefer you invest your precious time in implementing MPE compatibility...
I really appreciate your engagement in creating such a great tool and never stop enhancing it.

Thanks for all your effort.

Might be too late for the next release, but as I always have to set my pitch bends I come across a focussing bug quite often.
When I have to edit the modulation for more than 1 oscillator that is my workflow:
1. I select the 1st oscillator
2. I select Pitch Octave
3. I hit Add Modulation
4. I select my modulator in this case pitch bend
5. I select bipolar (this step could be skipped, if Fathom would be smart enough to know, that bipolar is what you need in 99% of all cases if you want to play with pitch bend; - )
6. I dial in my 0.461 (it should be 0.458, but I could not find out how to trim it into the correct direction by clicking into the range field, its mostly adding 0.001 if I want it smaller, or subtracting 0.001 when I want it bigger. Maybe have something like holding the shift key or ctrl key while dialing and do the fine tuning that way...)
- done for the first oscillator
Now I select the second oscilator to do the same. But a single click on the oscilator does not select the editor for it, it still remains on the editor for the previously selected oscillator. I have to click it again, which mutes it and then again which activates it.
Instead of a single click I need three. It was very confusing until I found out...
Then I would repeat the procedure to set the pitch bend for that oscillator...
I guess this is fixed easy, but obviously I also want to set a pitch bend range globally...

What range would you prefer for pitch bend on the master pitch bend dial,
so you would not have to set it for each oscillator?

Also what is the pitch bend range you are actually trying to get on the dial when you modulate it and the mod amount precision is not enough?

Sorry, when I select different oscillators it has no problem immediately jumping to that oscillator without changing the audio state.

FathomSynth wrote:What range would you prefer for pitch bend on the master pitch bend dial,
so you would not have to set it for each oscillator?
The standard for the most common MPE controller, the Seaboard is 48, and I believe thats also the recommended range in the MPE specs. The Continuum Players want 96. I prefer 24, because the majority of synths do not allow a bigger range, some only 12, and some are fixed to 2...
If you grab the 14-resolution of pitch bend, the 48 range will be a bit more accurate than 1 cent, which is sufficient
Personally I am happy with 24, I can't bend more on my LinnStrument, the small Seaboard neither...
FathomSynth wrote:Also what is the pitch bend range you are actually trying to get on the dial when you modulate it and the mod amount precision is not enough?
24 as there is already the 2 half steps I need to extend it by 22. The whole range of the Pitch Octave is 4 octaves or 48. By ear I landed on 0.461, when I calculated the exact number I ended up with 0.458 which is close enough, because I tune in by ear anyway...
FathomSynth wrote:Sorry, when I select different oscillators it has no problem immediately jumping to that oscillator without changing the audio state.
Maybe I should mention that this happens on OS X Sierra 10.12.6 on a Mac Pro with 12 cores and 64 GB of ram... I could try to mae a video of it...

The normal pitch bend range for a hardware pitch wheel is 24 semitones or 2 octaves? Really?

Every keyboard I've ever had if you peg the pitch wheel and it goes up a half step.

I can easily change the master pitch to be 1 or 2 octaves,
but then everyone who already has their host automation of that dial set assuming it is 2 semitones,
will have their song break when they use the new release.

So it's too risky. Sorry, I wish I had known that or I could have made it 2 octaves to begin with.

EDIT: Now the master pitch bend dial range in semitones can be set per Fathom track.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Version 2.10.5 BETA :phones:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yw8vizda5 ... 5_Beta.zip

Fixed Bug 0150 Notes stick on during Reaper track freeze.
Fixed Bug 0151 ADSR attack phase does not start where release phase ends.
Fixed Bug 0152 Allow four times magnification of envelope graph.
Fixed Bug 0153 Envelope graph jumps to start on second magnify drag.
Fixed Bug 0154 Crash if close gui while front panel EQ graph is fading out.
Fixed Bug 0155 Copy of additive spectrum oscillator should copy harmonics.
Fixed Bug 0156 Host automation of modulator dials ignored unless gui is open.
Fixed Bug 0157 Precision of mod amount dial increased to wheel 0.001 click 0.0001.
Fixed Bug 0158 Master pitch bend not automated by host after load program.
Fixed Bug 0159 Master pitch bend dial range can not be set for each track.

TJ Shredder, The master pitch bend range in semitones can now be set per Fathom track. Details are included at the end of the new user guide.

Return to “Instruments”