Peak by Novation

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Novation Peak With Engineer Nick Bookman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEHlK7HE00

I was looking at that article before I posted my question.

That article doesn't really focus on usage of NCOs in music synthesizers, in layman's terms

It has over 55 controls, the ultranova has 9 encoders. it is also made of metal.

I also find the price justified given what it offers, it is more versatile than the DM12, and below prophet 08 rev2 prices.
dedication to flying

Numanoid wrote:That article doesn't really focus on usage of NCOs in music synthesizers, in layman's terms
For starters, with NCOs there's no fear of aliasing, AFAIK, since the DAC coming after the phase accumulator smoothes things out.

So why doesn't more synths come with NCOs, are they costly?

Sounds incredible. Massive step up from anything else they've done.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Numanoid wrote:So why doesn't more synths come with NCOs, are they costly?
Definitely not as costly as a VCO, but they do demand having a clock per voice, and a DAC per voice.

As to why don't more synths use it, you're better off asking the vendors themselves :D

The FPGA and NCOs are covered here:
https://uk.novationmusic.com/peak-explained

Detailed review with video:
https://ask.audio/articles/novation-rel ... pth-review
Last edited by db3 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dope! Synthesizers are actually getting exciting again. The big three had best catch up if they want in on this.

can
not
wait

Very nice mid-segment synth. Has all the conventional features I can think of. Doesn't have any unusual or extra features, however - except for these two performance buttons.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Igot both the Novation Ultranova and Bass Station 2 here and the new Peak looks very interesting indeed.
Would be interesting to hear more details about the wavetables
ULtranova besides standard VA waveforms has 36 wavetables and a bunch of single digital waveforms.

The complexity of the synth engine seems to be somewhere between the Bass Statio n2 and Ultranova.
FWIW i do not think this could really replace the Ultranova while not every new synth must replace the all eaiier ones. Not sure how far Peak could be a replacement for the monophonic Bass Station 2.

The analog multimode filter in Peak in terms of versatility seems to be superior to many other analog polysynth or vintage hybrid synths like e.g. SQ-80 which mostly have a single Lowpass filter.
Bass Station 2 has a comparable multimode filter. I do not know how far they used the same circuits or not.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yeah, curious too to hear this BassStation heritage, but so far it's getting some attention :D

Also, the "massive amount of distortion"...yum.

Are the two "performance buttons" something from the ultra?

So it has 8 voices running at 20 MHz.

I always wondered why nowdays it's a big deal to have polyphonic synth running at something like 88,2 kHz. No one has tried to use FPGA for that purpose before? :scared:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”