Reverb Recommendation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have greatly appreciated the feedback I've received on these forums as I've been in the process of setting myself up with a modest hobbyist home studio these past few months.

Looking now to add some solid reverb plugins to my setup. Using Bitwig 2 as my DAW. I have Komplete Select and will upgrade to standard whenever the next sale comes around. Just upgraded to Replika XT as my go-to delay for the time being because it was a decent affordable option. Aside from that, I only have instruments (Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian and Cinematic Studio Strings). Between thr cost of all that and the hardware, my budget is really starting to tighten up.

Would you all be kind enough to offer some advice regarding reverb? I have an opportunity right now to purchase the two NI RC plugins (plus Razor) for $100 and I'm very tempted just to pull the trigger on that and call it a day. I've also been seriously considering picking up two of the Valhalla plugins for the same price instead. Furthermore, I originally wanted to purchase Fabfilter Pro-R, but that's double the price - still an option, however.

How would you advise going about it? Are there other plugins I should be considering instead? I would like a reasonably versatile setup that can handle anything from lush ambient to creating basic spaces for instrumentation. As always, any and all feedback is much appreciated!
Last edited by totheatom on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you can wait a bit, consider Eventide UltraReverb too. It costs $199 now, but, i was able to grab it for only 87 € (i think) last Black Friday sale. Great workhorse allrdounder reverb, with a lot of algorithms, and options, and sounds fantastic to me (best reverb i've heard so far). It can tax your CPU a bit, but, i guess that's normal for such a sound quality.

Appreciate the recommendation. I should have also mentioned that I have this weird aversion to anything associated with iLok, so that does limit my choices a bit, unfortunately.

Ah, fair enough. :) (even though it's soft iLok, no dongle needed) I guess, for $100, you'll be good with Valhalla Room, and Vintage Verb then. Although i'm not a big fan of their reverbs. But each to his like, there's demos of both, and, if you happen to like them, then that's surely a good deal.

You'll get better CPU mixing performance with the Valhalla plugins than you will with the NI RC plugins in my experience.

I would recommend you demo Valhalla Room and Vintage Verb which are both comparable to what the NI RC plugins offer.
:borg:

This is a nice reverb for "lush ambient" and is free. It's really the only free reverb that I'm enthusiastic about.

https://github.com/ValdemarOrn/CloudSeed

Honestly though, virtually all of the best reverbs are iLok. Valhalla and NI are two exceptions, I'm at a loss to think of a third, but there are almost certainly more. I'm a huge fan of Reverberate 2, but, it's an IR verb so that might not be what you're looking for. Waves IR1, also an IR verb, is on sale right now for $29. It comes with a very nice IR library.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverbical <- if you like tweaking, you can get your hands dirty with this
Valhalla reverbs <- pure quality. Basically nothing special but sounds like million dollars
LiquidSonics stuff is awesome impulse response reverbs for creative spaces
Acon Digital Verberate <- Nothing special in feature wise but that sound.. At least pleases my ears.

Distorted Horizon wrote:Reverbical <- if you like tweaking, you can get your hands dirty with this
It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think that Reverbical is in the same class as the reverbs that the OP is suggesting.

BTW: This is a useful video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ

If you reconsider iLok, then eventide blackhole.

ghettosynth wrote:It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think that Reverbical is in the same class as the reverbs that the OP is suggesting.
I beg to differ and can also recommend to try the demo of Reverbical - it ranges from easy to handle to being extremely versatile, depending on actually how deep you want to get into tweaking it.

That video ghettosynth posted, I created. Hope it will be helpful. I have a bunch of reverbs up for sale right now, some of which have been mentioned, in this thread if you are interested. if so, PM me and we can discuss.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=464309&start=90#p6481064

Most of my favorite reverb options are iLok compatible. With the iLok products eliminated, in addition to Fabfilter's Pro-R, as it was already stated by the OP, below are some reverb options to consider, IMO:

* 2CAudio Aether, B2 & Breeze
* Acon Digital Verberate
* IK Multimedia Classik Studio Reverb
* Magix VariVerb II
* Native Instruments Reverb Classics
* Plugin Alliance bx_rooMS
* Overloud Breverb 2
* Rob Papen RP-Verb

At this time, most of the stated reverbs are fairly expensive, but the various developers usually have sales that allow customers to purchase them at a much lower expense over the course of a year.

FrankLaVerne wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think that Reverbical is in the same class as the reverbs that the OP is suggesting.
I beg to differ and can also recommend to try the demo of Reverbical - it ranges from easy to handle to being extremely versatile, depending on actually how deep you want to get into tweaking it.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I think that the tails sound terrible on the video on their page. I haven't demoed the plugin though, because, well, that video was enough to convince me not to bother.

@plexuss

I thought that was you. Good job on the video. I wish there were more videos like that and fewer videos with people talking incessantly.

I can make some recommendations. First some questions:

1. what are specs of your system (speed, processors, OS, etc).

2. what kind of music do you typically work on?

3. what soures/tracks do you think you'll want to add reverb to?

4. what is your total reverb budget?

5. do you have any music online somewhere I can hear that is typical of your work?

6. Are there any license activation methods you don't want (eg. iLok soft or USB, etc)
Last edited by plexuss on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”