Behringer Deepmind 12 desktop and Deepmind 6 (!)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On my 7th gen iPad iOS 14.6 the DeepMind12 editor no longer works.

“The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS”

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:45 pm what is the difference between DM 6 and 12? DM 6= 6 voices and DM 12 = 12 voices?
Because it hasn't been mentioned, and so that it's not overlooked, the DeepMind 12 also has an additional octave of keys (49 vs 37) and WiFi (no WiFi on 6 AFAIK).

DeepMind 12D is the only "desktop" form factor, and is just the 12 without keyboard, pb/mod wheels, and octave +/- buttons. Has the WiFi. While not shown in many promo shot, the 12D also comes with rack ears and can be racked, taking 5U. Depending on where it ends up in your rack, and the design of the rack/case, you might need to use right-angle audio and power cables, or allow for the slot above it to remain unused (which will also help with its ventilation).

FWIW, I went with the 12D partly for space reasons, but also because the 12's keyboard didn't feel like it was as nice as some of the boards I already have, i.e. not as nice as what you might already have on a Roland, Korg, or similar tier of keyboard, but a step up from a cheap M-Audio controller. Keyboard feel is highly subjective though, so no substitute for a hands-on trial.

diaphone wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:05 am
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:45 pm what is the difference between DM 6 and 12? DM 6= 6 voices and DM 12 = 12 voices?
Because it hasn't been mentioned, and so that it's not overlooked, the DeepMind 12 also has an additional octave of keys (49 vs 37) and WiFi (no WiFi on 6 AFAIK).

DeepMind 12D is the only "desktop" form factor, and is just the 12 without keyboard, pb/mod wheels, and octave +/- buttons. Has the WiFi. While not shown in many promo shot, the 12D also comes with rack ears and can be racked, taking 5U. Depending on where it ends up in your rack, and the design of the rack/case, you might need to use right-angle audio and power cables, or allow for the slot above it to remain unused (which will also help with its ventilation).

FWIW, I went with the 12D partly for space reasons, but also because the 12's keyboard didn't feel like it was as nice as some of the boards I already have, i.e. not as nice as what you might already have on a Roland, Korg, or similar tier of keyboard, but a step up from a cheap M-Audio controller. Keyboard feel is highly subjective though, so no substitute for a hands-on trial.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Had my DeepMind 12D for a week now. It is INCREDIBLE!!!

It can do absolutely all kinds of sounds. From completely "out there" weird stuff to awesome soft sweet pads to ridiculously over the top Trance Plucks etc... :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is by far one of the best pieces of hardware I've ever come across and is incredibly delicate and nice to play for hours with.

Here is a little EDM pluck I just made. 100% DeepMind 12D output. No other processing.

EDM Pluck thing
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 pm Had my DeepMind 12D for a week now. It is INCREDIBLE!!!

It can do absolutely all kinds of sounds. From completely "out there" weird stuff to awesome soft sweet pads to ridiculously over the top Trance Plucks etc... :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is by far one of the best pieces of hardware I've ever come across and is incredibly delicate and nice to play for hours with.

Here is a little EDM pluck I just made. 100% DeepMind 12D output. No other processing.

EDM Pluck thing
Pluck things sounds great. It is a fantastic synth. I have the 12D. It is Junoesque in ways but far exceeds it in my opinion. Welcome to the club. Really nice sound design with that patch. - Scotty

JhimBhoy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:13 am On my 7th gen iPad iOS 14.6 the DeepMind12 editor no longer works.

“The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS”
I keep an ipad 4 handy to edit it but it is a bit buggy on that device as well. It tends to crash when editing the efx. I hope they update it. If the synth is still in production the editor is a great selling point.

bmanic wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 pm Had my DeepMind 12D for a week now. It is INCREDIBLE!!!

EDM Pluck thing
Very nice. Actually that sells me on the DM more than most reviews I've seen online. They always go for the Juno type pads and brassy things. Which any synth in the past 10 years can do TBH. But that plucky stuff is definitely reminiscent of a Juno in unison mode...but infinitely better obviously. And to be quite frank - it's more of a useful sound. I would imagine you had immense fun with that type of patch...

The DM was almost off my list, but not so sure now. Possibly it might be back on the list...one or two other synths to buy first though, but my Junos are both coming to end of life and really not worth arseing about fixing them. So a DM (I'll probably be happy with a 6) would be a very good replacement. I'll definitely shed a tear or two when I bin the Junos though... :cry:

BUT...just checked prices - not that much of a difference to step up to a DM12 is there? Hmmmmmmmm 8)

But I've only got 10 fingers and none of them work very well on a keyboard. So maybe just a 6. :hihi:

bmanic wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 pm Here is a little EDM pluck I just made. 100% DeepMind 12D output. No other processing.

EDM Pluck thing
That's cool as pluck! :hihi:

But, seriously. I considered the DM6 before I bought my Prophet Rev2 and again when I bought my Novation Peak, but the DM6 demos I saw just didn't sell me. You should make a vid showcasing its modern sound design capabilities.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:27 pm

But, seriously. I considered the DM6 before I bought my Prophet Rev2 and again when I bought my Novation Peak, but the DM6 demos I saw just didn't sell me.
I was exactly the same. There seems to be a bit of a black hole with creativity for online reviews. Maybe the format just predisposes to short simple fluff. Because I knew the DM was capable of doing more - it has to be when you see its specs, but never heard it online. And near me there is literally nowhere I can demo one - have to travel 200km to Auckland. Seems like all the people demoing things online are purely making a living or a hobby out of demoing. The ones actually getting creative sounds and uses out of their gear are too busy doing exactly that, so all we get to see online is the fluff and shite that everyone copies everyone else. TBH I'm not sure if many of those demo-ers would know how to actually patch a moving pluck from scratch. :?

I'll edit the above with - there are some very capable demos out there, but they don't tend to demo things like DMs.

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:12 pm BUT...just checked prices - not that much of a difference to step up to a DM12 is there? Hmmmmmmmm 8)

But I've only got 10 fingers and none of them work very well on a keyboard. So maybe just a 6. :hihi:
Definitely DEFINITELY DO NOT GO FOR THE DM6!!

I have the DeepMind 12D and I'm already wishing it had more polyphony! Why? Because the real secret sauce is in the Unison menu. It has 4 awesome parameters that can ALL be modulated through the mod matrix!

Unison Detune (of course!)
Oscillator Drift
Parameter Drift
Drift Speed

The last two are _exceptional_ and absolutely unique parameters and they make a HUGE difference in how you can create the feel for sounds. Also the Oscillator Drift parameter can be used very effectively to make the synth feel alive in a very special manner, for instance by using a synced LFO to heavily modulate it. There's something wicked cool about a synth that goes out of tune in an interesting pulsating and synced way.

My point is: The DM12 is basically a DM6 as soon as you start messing with the unison modes and you do NOT want to leave once you have gone there. 3 notes unison is very common for me and that leaves 4 note polyphony. A DM6 would be 2 notes. :)

I got my DM12D 2nd hand for 465 euros so this was super affordable considering what you get with the package.

Also one more thing, that pluck sound works so well due to the filter being quickly modulated and closed. However, unlike the Virus or a JP8k, when you actually open the filter up it doesn't wash out into a nice powerful sea of saw waves. :(

This is one thing that is definitely missing in the DeepMind. You are a bit stuck with the flavor of waves (that you can get a bit around with other tricks). Luckily, if I ever went back to making trance, I'd just layer something else opening up beneath the DM pluck. :D

The good news is that the DM definitely is a completely unique beast of it's own. I can make sounds with it that I can not easily stumble upon with other synthesizers.

Good to know, thanks. TBH I generally don't play around that much with unison on analogues just because it all gets too big too quickly, though unison is a must for plugins IMO. But that does sound like useful unison mods. I have a hard time getting away from thinking more oscillators just means you can play more notes and forget unison. :dog:

DMs are DCOs aren't they? Surprised Behringer didn't put a few more oscillator waves in, but then the standard tri/saw/pulse/PWM were generally good enough on most other synths.
I did hear the FX were a very strong point on the DMs...mind you, so many hw synths have good FX nowadays - I love the Korg ones.

The effects section is basically straight up ripped from the X32 and Midas mixers. They are indeed absolutely awesome and due to every single parameter being possible to modulate it becomes a real beast for sound design and exploration of crazy combinations.

Here is another sound I just made the other day, a bit of karplus strong esque stuff..

DeepMind 12, Far East flavours

.. and a very typical PWM pad where I've tried to make the patch very velocity sensitive (tons of subtle stuff happening with note-on velocity):

DeepMind 12, common pwm pad thing

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”