VPS Avenger - Sound Design Tricks

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious if other users are at all frustrated by the size of the modulation list window?

It's really small and quite a pain to use when working with a patch with lots of mods.

I mean, contrast it with the preset browser on the left which is twice the size and just sits there unused for 99% of the time.

I would at least love to see a "mod" button in the preset browser that would let that space also be used to house the mods list.

Thoughts?

With sounds where i need a liitle more brightness besides using the built-in EQ (which is quite nice) i found that the two Nexus LPF modes are helpful (especially the "NEX LP24" mode). Actually with the filter on the result could even sound brighter than with the filter being bypassed (also depends on the waveform/sample used). Also the Filter Drive could also add some nice stuff to the final sound.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Check this film out at 6:40:

https://youtu.be/XjI605AzbO0

What Manuel forgets to mention is that you could in fact completely turn down the volume of the OSC and simply use it as a rhythmic modulation source to anything in the synth, without any sound from wavetable OSC!

that's a pretty cool tip!
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

I have a couple of tricks too.

1. Linking LFO1 to LFO1. That allows you to set the min/max extrems of the LFO by using the sliders in the Matrix. I have not found any other way to achieve that result. The C-LFO's are just for custom shapes and alttitude of anchor points don't affect the amplitude of the LFO.

In the Matrix would be shown like:

LFO1
--
FLT1 Cutoff
OUP LFO 1 -> FLT1 Cutoff

2. Send Rack to FX1, to Main Output. This allows to have the raw sound material separated from all effects while effects are applied. The advantage is that youy can apply an effect only in another effect without aplying it to the whole sound material. So if you want to add reverb to delay but not to original sound material, this is the way. You can add lot of effects and mix them separatelly one from each other. For example, if you want to cutoff the reverb without cutting off also the original sound you have to proceed with this routing. So all effects in Send Rack can be effected in FX[nº] without affecting the original sound. Adding a cutoff filter to a delay is the way of pasychedelic!
Problem is: it just works with FX1 ¬¬

However, the workaround is routing directly in the mixer of the DAW, so you can separately have from the original sound all the effects you want applied from that original sound but not to the sound itself. For that, you have to route to Master the Channel which contains the Synt, as default, and to an empty channel, in which you will put the effects. The channel that holds the effects should be routed finally to the Master too if not, to another channel with more effects. Since you can add effects to any effect and/or parameter, you can create chains of endless stuff which will be rendered all separatelly. Of course, you will need a super computer too (which I don't have).

--
Now I have a question. How do I modulate OSC1 with OSC2?

Thank you :)

Create two Osc - In Osc 2 right click on the FM dial under the waveform and set it to modulate Osc 1 - that's it but don't forget to open the FM dial in Osc 1 (I usually start at 25 %) if you want to hear something when you start adjusting Osc 2. Simple.

Return to “Instruments”