[Melodic Dubstep] Path to Victory

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I feel like the mixing can be greatly improved but can't really pinpoint on how. Any ideas or feedback?

*Edit: Added Mastered version

Mastered:

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/path-to-victory
Last edited by Kyrpto on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:07 am, edited 8 times in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds like it has that old dubstep/brostep vibe to it. Really loving the atmosphere as well. If you ask me, sounds a bit over-compressed, and everything that Vortifex said; however I'm no pro at mixing either.

Nice work though.
Find my Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-603037139

Trying to be different, while staying familiar. Currently sucking at that.

-GravityGas

Just added the revised version. I took the advice of raising the high frequencies so I boosted it on some of the instruments. Hope I didn't over do it.

*double posted by accident

well, i.m by far an expert at wubby music but what jumps out at me first is the
heavily compressed drums. i mean theres no dynamics in them. as if its drums from
the windows software wavetable synth playing midi drums.

the composition is good overall. held my intrest till the end.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:well, i.m by far an expert at wubby music but what jumps out at me first is the
heavily compressed drums. i mean theres no dynamics in them. as if its drums from
the windows software wavetable synth playing midi drums.

the composition is good overall. held my intrest till the end.
Yeah my compression skills is pretty weak. I absolutely suck at it.

Hi,

typically when there's not enough sparkling highs in the mix, I try to add a little "excitement" to all relevant instruments. But not just using an EQ, but better something like mid/side-EQ or an Exciter-Plugin and emphasizing the highs in the side. Works wonders to my ears, if applied to every instrument a little and not just to the final mix.

Hi Krypto,
I agree with others above. The composition is great, it's all there, but there's something about the stereo image and the high end that's not quite climbing out of the mix to get me. Maybe it's a little too wet, so pull all the reverbs back a bit? Maybe some extra movement in the stereo field... - some dynamic/time-appropriate panning? I feel like I need to get "closer" to the music, but I can't.

- Corin

It's a nice piece of music and all but It it still feels a little like it's sort of playing behind a door and is a little muffled.

Also.

I've read that SoundCloud Might be problem with audio quality. I always upload an aiff or wav file to Soundcloud. I'm not sure if that helps but I thought I'd mention it.

I added the version that was mixed by a pro. Let me know how it compares and if anything should be changed. Thanks!

wow cool intro.
I like the arpie, not so fan of standard dubstep sounds so a bit sad they all appear after the drop xD

The melody elements are so much cooler with the dubstep beat than the standard sounds. I really dig the synth and melody around 2:30

Kyrpto wrote:I added the version that was mixed by a pro. Let me know how it compares and if anything should be changed. Thanks!
a pro, huh? it sounds worse. no dynamic range, lots of pumping in the compression and badly clipped. the revised and wip sound way better IMHO :borg:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Kyrpto wrote:I added the version that was mixed by a pro. Let me know how it compares and if anything should be changed. Thanks!
a pro, huh? it sounds worse. no dynamic range, lots of pumping in the compression and badly clipped. the revised and wip sound way better IMHO :borg:
Which part do you find clipping? Can't really tell.

Kyrpto wrote:
layzer wrote:
Which part do you find clipping? Can't really tell.
hello.

the entire track is clipping almost all the way through. can you hear all the crackling?

Return to “Music Cafe”