Two V11 questions: multiparameters; automation

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -

Still on Melda V10.07, with two questions about V11 I was hoping someone might help out with please ...

Multiparameters:
I was watching the two multiparameter vids, trying to think of how I might program MAutoDynamicEQ to automatically apply different EQ settings for verse, chorus, etc. that I set up beforehand.

Before I go too far with that, I just wanted to ask, did any changes in version (11) invalidate any portions of the vids, or can I run with what I'm seeing?

Automation:
Currently in version 10.07, I can activate "Write" automation in Cubase 9.0.20, play the project, while adjusting the faders/knobs of the Melda plug-in to write its automation. Then, if I want to edit those changes, I can enter Cubase's automation lane and redraw the automation points. When I play the project back, the Melda fader/knob would be controlled by Cubase's automation.

I was wondering how, if at all, that would change under Melda V11? (All this just fyi just to ask for clarification of:
...Automation Version 11 comes up with fully restructuralized automation parameter system, which should improve performance and compatibility with problematic hosts. If you have been using automation in your older projects, please go to Settings in any of the plugins and enable Automation compatibility mode for V10. Then restart your host and your projects should load without problems. For future's sake it is recommended to have this option disabled however ...

Thank you for any thoughts! :)

If you want to set up different setting for the verse, chorus etc, try using banks. You'll only need 1 multi parameter and it can be done fairly quickly. Just choose the parameters you want to automate in the MP i.e. Band 1 freq, band 3 gain, band 1 gain, etc. Next the EQ how you want it for the verse. Now go into your MP and click the disk icon in the banks section at the bottom. That will copy all of the current settings of your parameters to that bank. Then set the EQ for you chorus and after that in the 2nd bank click the disk icon again to save the settings. Repeat that for all the sections and then automate that MP in your DAW.

If that is confusing let me know. Perhaps other people would be interested in this, so maybe I'll make a quick video on it. Would anyone like a video about this type of thing?

Chandlerhimself wrote:If you want to set up different setting for the verse, chorus etc, try using banks. You'll only need 1 multi parameter and it can be done fairly quickly. Just choose the parameters you want to automate in the MP i.e. Band 1 freq, band 3 gain, band 1 gain, etc. Next the EQ how you want it for the verse. Now go into your MP and click the disk icon in the banks section at the bottom. That will copy all of the current settings of your parameters to that bank. Then set the EQ for you chorus and after that in the 2nd bank click the disk icon again to save the settings. Repeat that for all the sections and then automate that MP in your DAW.

If that is confusing let me know. Perhaps other people would be interested in this, so maybe I'll make a quick video on it. Would anyone like a video about this type of thing?
Cheers, Chandlerhimself! That helped a lot, helped reinforce the Melda vid, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzwvWm0x ... e=youtu.be .

It seems like a very cool feature!

BTW, if you or anyone might be able to set me straight on the automation question (from the OP, up top), I'd be grateful for that also :-)

V10 MADEQ has 4 multiparameters:
0100: MultiParameter 1
0101: MultiParameter 2
0102: MultiParameter 3
0103: MultiParameter 4

and V11 has 64, starting at
0000: Param 1

So if you automated parameter number 100 in v10.07 if your host, then switched to v11 you would be automating "0100: EQ 3 - Dynamics 3" there (as most (all?) hosts reference plug-in automation parameters by index number).

Three possible solutions:
(a) switch to v11 right now and do the automation there (is there a specific reason why you do not do that?),
(b) do the automation in v10.07, switch to v11 and run it in v10-compatibility mode (select that in the Settings window) - that provides the v11 functionality but uses the v10 plug-in parameters,
(c) for some hosts, the project file is editable so you could change the automation parameter number from 100 (for v10) to 0 (for v11).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Correct, the banks could help a lot indeed. However for us lazy ones, I'd simply insert 2 instances of the plugin and bypass one or the other :D. Easier to change then ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

DarkStar wrote:V10 MADEQ has 4 multiparameters:
0100: MultiParameter 1
0101: MultiParameter 2
0102: MultiParameter 3
0103: MultiParameter 4

and V11 has 64, starting at
0000: Param 1

So if you automated parameter number 100 in v10.07 if your host, then switched to v11 you would be automating "0100: EQ 3 - Dynamics 3" there (as most (all?) hosts reference plug-in automation parameters by index number).

Three possible solutions:
(a) switch to v11 right now and do the automation there (is there a specific reason why you do not do that?),
(b) do the automation in v10.07, switch to v11 and run it in v10-compatibility mode (select that in the Settings window) - that provides the v11 functionality but uses the v10 plug-in parameters,
(c) for some hosts, the project file is editable so you could change the automation parameter number from 100 (for v10) to 0 (for v11).
Thank you, DarkStar!

I am at least a bit confused though ... when I have automated within Melda (in the way I described at the top of this thread), I have never had occasion to pay attention to numbers like 0100, 0101, 0102, etc. (I just pencil edit the automation in its lane in Cubase). So those numbers, and how to use them, are unfamiliar to me.

In V10, the closest thing I've done to automation using Multiparameters is using the "morph A -->> B" slider box (is that a type of "automation"?). Many many automation lanes are created in Cubase for the changes that result from that. But beyond that, I've never automated Multiparameters.

I wonder if those numbers (e.g., 0100, 0101, 0102, etc.) are only relevant to automation of Multiparameters, or whether they are also involved in automating anything and everything in Melda ... and whether the fact that I haven't automated Multiparameters specifically is why those numbers are unfamiliar to me ...

Thanks, sorry for the neutron star-level density between the ears here on this topic!

(PS: To answer your question directly, I'm holding off on moving to V11 until I understand what will be different ... More specifically, if I were to go back and edit a song I edited in V10 after switching to V11, would I need to switch to compatibility mode without question, or only if I automated a Multiparameter?)

Yes, you do not need to know those index numbers. But (as far as I know) they are used by the host to refer to the plug-in's parameters. So if you automate "MultiParameter 1" for a v10 plug-in the host stores that automation for plug-in parameter #100. If you then install v11 and re-open the project, that automation in the host will still refer to plug-in parameter #100. And plug-in parameter #100 in the v11 version is ' EQ 3 - Dynamics 3'.

I'm not sure what you meant by "morph A -->> B" slider box - there is ABCD Morphing and A|B switching but neither can be automated from the host.

Those index numbers are used for every automatable parameter - both Multiparameters and 'ordinary' parameters; the issue is that the list of automatable parameter has changed between v10 and v11. As another example, 'Input gain' is #001 in v10 and #065 in v11.

There is no need to apologise - it would be a mistake not to ask.

Re your PS: If you switch to v11 and edit a v10-song and you had automated any parameter then you would need to use v10-compatibility more.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Yes, you do not need to know those index numbers. But (as far as I know) they are used by the host to refer to the plug-in's parameters. So if you automate "MultiParameter 1" for a v10 plug-in the host stores that automation for plug-in parameter #100. If you then install v11 and re-open the project, that automation in the host will still refer to plug-in parameter #100. And plug-in parameter #100 in the v11 version is ' EQ 3 - Dynamics 3'.

I'm not sure what you meant by "morph A -->> B" slider box - there is ABCD Morphing and A|B switching but neither can be automated from the host.

Those index numbers are used for every automatable parameter - both Multiparameters and 'ordinary' parameters; the issue is that the list of automatable parameter has changed between v10 and v11. As another example, 'Input gain' is #001 in v10 and #065 in v11.

There is no need to apologise - it would be a mistake not to ask.

Re your PS: If you switch to v11 and edit a v10-song and you had automated any parameter then you would need to use v10-compatibility more.
Thank you DarkStar - a perfect explanation!

I've updated to V11. Very cool interface (I looked at MAutoDynamicEQ)!

The only hard part will be remembering which projects were completed in V10 vs. V11. Luckily I just finished one and so hopefully I'll remember that this next one is the first in V11.

Thank you again for your help!

Actually the easiest way is to just use V11 and enable the automation compatibility mode ;). If your host handles it fine (and apparently it does), then there's no problem ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Actually the easiest way is to just use V11 and enable the automation compatibility mode ;). If your host handles it fine (and apparently it does), then there's no problem ;).
Ah, well I haven't actually (knowingly) tried it in compatibility mode.

I thought I read that more CPU was used there (compatibility mode), so I was going to try to use it only on old projects. Unless I am misremembering about the CPU issues?

Thanks!

^^^
I doubt that more CPU is used - the v10-compatibility is 'just' a different set of numbers for the parameters; you still get all the v11 functionality. And you can switch back to v11 mode at any time.

As for remembering which projects use v10 and which use v11, just stick a project note in somewhere or a suitable named empty MIDI item or ... Or name the projects <project_name>_v10.
Inspired by ...

It's more about memory requirements. Some hosts also may have problems with the huge number of parameters - for instance a certain video editor (I just cannot remember the name...) would completely struggle surviving with plugins having more than like 100 parameters... But if you are on a good host like Cubase, you should be just fine.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Correct, the banks could help a lot indeed. However for us lazy ones, I'd simply insert 2 instances of the plugin and bypass one or the other :D. Easier to change then ;).
I actually finished a video on this(I'll try to release it on Friday or Saturday) and I found out that if you use a preset it's as fast as using 2 instances and you can automate more than 2 states also. It really is a great feature that I never though about before. I hope you include it in the mixing revolution.

Return to “MeldaProduction”