Recommend me some $50 speakers for computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I think it was Quincy Jones that said that he always checks his productions on a mediocre stereo. After all, that's what most people use to listen to music.
He may check his mixes on a mediocre stereo, but you can be sure he doesn't mix on one.
I agree.

Fluffy, have you tried mixing a song with your headphones? If you have done that, try to listen to it with normal speakers or stereo. You'll be lucky if you can get something sounds good similar to what you did on headphones especially the bass but not only.

Good monitors are not for showing or decoration! The main usage of them is to get mixes that translates well in every system (including headphones).
That is not what I said. I am not saying one should mix on headphones alone. As I said in my previous post, my main problem with headphones is the unnatural stereo image. That is what I need speakers for, and for checking the general sound, which takes place pretty much in the frequency range of affordable desktop speakers like the Z130. Such speakers often start at 70Hz or so. Really low bass I have to test on the headphones. But bass is hard to locate in space anyway, so the headphones' stereo image is not much of a problem when checking the bass. Actually, the headphones are revealing. If bass sounds tight on them, it will also sound good on speakers, but not the other way round. At least that is what I found out.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I think it was Quincy Jones that said that he always checks his productions on a mediocre stereo. After all, that's what most people use to listen to music.
He may check his mixes on a mediocre stereo, but you can be sure he doesn't mix on one.
Didn't a lot of studios, back in the day, have a pair of Aurotones or Yamaha NS10s on the desk? Obviously not for full-time mixing. :o

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
I agree.

Fluffy, have you tried mixing a song with your headphones? If you have done that, try to listen to it with normal speakers or stereo. You'll be lucky if you can get something sounds good similar to what you did on headphones especially the bass but not only.

Good monitors are not for showing or decoration! The main usage of them is to get mixes that translates well in every system (including headphones).
That is not what I said. I am not saying one should mix on headphones alone. As I said in my previous post, my main problem with headphones is the unnatural stereo image. That is what I need speakers for, and for checking the general sound, which takes place pretty much in the frequency range of affordable desktop speakers like the Z130. Such speakers often start at 70Hz or so. Really low bass I have to test on the headphones. But bass is hard to locate in space anyway, so the headphones' stereo image is not much of a problem when checking the bass. Actually, the headphones are revealing. If bass sounds tight on them, it will also sound good on speakers, but not the other way round. At least that is what I found out.
When you mix drums and bass with melody, harmony and effects, then you'll find out what I mean. Just concluding logically without getting your hands dirty is just guess talk. The HD 280 pro is exaggerating phones and colours the sound. It means they don't give a true transparent sound, so if you depend on them in mixing songs, the songs would sound shit (flat and lifeless) when playing them in other speakers (car, tv ... etc). It's not only the stereo image problem.

The HD 280 (which happen to be my headphones) ARE transparent, very much so BECAUSE they are DELIBERATELY not flat.

Generally speaking, they make music sound more "hollow", but that applies to everything I listen to on them. I also use them for listening to music. So, as long as I make my music sound similar to classic songs I love, it can't turn out that shitty in terms of EQ etc. :wink:

So, I use both my headphones and my mediocre Creative speakers.

Thanks for all your replies

I’m cool with mixing on headphones (AKG K271MKII) and checking the mix (stereo field especially) on speakers. It’s my workflow too, and I’m comfortable with it. The new speakers would be the ones I’d be checking on because I’m a cheapskate. (I confess I’m drooling at Adam F5 active monitors, but a whole other story.)

I‘ve become convinced that I just want the two speakers without a sub, so I’ve ruled out the Logitech X-210 and z323.

Double driver configuration with two identical drivers… it’s not like there’s a tweeter and woofer, so I’ve ruled out my first thought, the Logitech Z200.

It’s now looking like the Logitech Z130 fits my plan, or maybe something a bit bigger like the Edifier R980T.

Googly Smythe wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Didn't a lot of studios, back in the day, have a pair of Aurotones or Yamaha NS10s on the desk? Obviously not for full-time mixing. :o

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story
Well, didn't mixes get better and better throughout the years? You judge. :shrug: I think nowadays pop or rock music sounds much better produced than the Beatles and likes. Not to say the technology has been useless back in the days, but i don't think it's worth an argument that it is much better nowadays.

I used to have this compact Panasonic radio recorder many years ago, loved it, it had several inputs and a little equalizer, the sound was also pretty good thanks to a 2-way speaker system:

http://static.hifi-forum.de/produkte/26 ... fs-440.jpg

Unfortunately they don't make such stereos anymore, it would be ideal for connecting my sound card and recording demo tapes.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The HD 280 (which happen to be my headphones) ARE transparent, very much so BECAUSE they are DELIBERATELY not flat.

Generally speaking, they make music sound more "hollow", but that applies to everything I listen to on them. I also use them for listening to music. So, as long as I make my music sound similar to classic songs I love, it can't turn out that shitty in terms of EQ etc. :wink:

So, I use both my headphones and my mediocre Creative speakers.
Well, glad it works for you. For me it was a disaster and only after having the HS7 I could adjust EQ, Compression... etc with confidence as I hear the differences and there are no surprises when hearing them with other sound outputs. Now, they are the most important tools in my compact studio :)

Hi!
I have got some solid monitors over the years-
Mackie MR8 & Samson r6a,
and also have used Tapco 15" Thumps for the last 2 years to monitor,
coz I keep popping a diode in the Mackies.
2 weeks ago I got it into my head to set up this 70s quadrophonic amp I got being left next to a donation bin.
I have some matched 8ohm speakers that were $10 from an opportunity shop.
I'm truly shocked how this sounds- it has the most amazing clarity and definition.
I think this is due to 3 things->
1. the speaker cones are ultra light
2. the cabinets are undamped
3.the amp itself is a beauty
albany house amp and TEAC 4.5" speakers

So what about getting an old hi fi?

Avoid Logitech, just Bass and highs, mid frequencies are "unavailable" !

Here are two better (more balanced) options
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R980T-Ac ... merReviews
https://www.amazon.com/Microlab-Subwoof ... 1248879011

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”