VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:What I have learnt so far from this thread:

and it won't give you herpes
One more thing I have learnt

this may not be the case for some KvR denizens :lol: :P

wagtunes wrote:It's like looking for a hooker for a night. I don't care how great in bed she is. No hooker is worth $500 when you can probably get just as good a lay for 50 bucks.
I'll be honest, I missed this pearl of wisdom the first time around and I was wrong... I don't think anyone has ever made this particular point before in an Omnisphere thread.

I'm still trying to take in all the different ways in which is is possibly the stupidest, crassest thing I've ever read on KVR. And I've read a lot of very, very stupid and very very crass things.

I think we've hit peak KVR.

Wagtunes, there have been times where I've read your posts and thought fair enough. You get attacked a lot... I'm not a fan of your patches, but it always seemed unseemly to pile in... and apparently you find an audience. You always seem to have have the resilience to fight back. Good for you.

But now you to me you will always be the guy wrote that quote. I now see the world through your eyes, and I can't unsee it.

Aaaargh, my eyes.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

AnX wrote:
fmr wrote: WOW, I wouldn't imagine that KVR had so many people with an expertise in prostitution
You dont really think most of the losers here have girlfriends do you? :lol:
Not that it's any of your damn business, but I'll be married 33 years this coming August 25th.

I don't need a girlfriend.

Kinh wrote:
layzer wrote:
Kinh wrote: 5x more presets than others half the price
oh brother... :roll:
if you actually learned sound design you wouldn't have 500 presets that sound almost identical
except for a slight filter cutoff adjustment in your 500,000 omni presets.
I have learned sound design but im a producer and we trend to audition sounds rather than make them as we go.
and thats why you all sound the same.... go go preset boi :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:and thats why you all sound the same.... go go preset boi :tu:
Maybe for you original sound design for every track is more important than the music (and that's fine), but that is certainly not true for everyone.

*Plenty* of good music has been written, arranged and recorded using existing instruments - you don't *need* to have spent 30 hours on every patch you use to make good music. And the public responds to good music way more than good sound design.

Jus' sayin'...

Armagibbon wrote:

Omnisphere is not a witch

Carry on
Heard it here first peeps. Omni can't do herpestep or witchwave
What!? I've done witchHOUSE style with it :D https://soundcloud.com/soft-knees/lost-tapes :D (not to take too seriously)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

beely wrote:
layzer wrote:and thats why you all sound the same.... go go preset boi :tu:
Maybe for you original sound design for every track is more important than the music (and that's fine), but that is certainly not true for everyone.

*Plenty* of good music has been written, arranged and recorded using existing instruments - you don't *need* to have spent 30 hours on every patch you use to make good music. And the public responds to good music way more than good sound design.

Jus' sayin'...
Not that I'm defending Layzer, because he's becoming a parody of himself "Hey, look at me...all free stuffs that can sound as good as $10,000 synths" but he has a point. A lot of stuff out there sounds like it came off a printing press. You can't tell one track from another. And that's partly because so many people think they have to sound a certain way to get "noticed". Sadly, to a point, that's true as commercial music has a sound. But then when everybody sounds the same, they all get lost in the soup. It's a fine line you have to walk between sounding the same and still sounding different in some way.

The ones who can do that are the ones who are really successful.

I have the opposite problem. My music is all me. It sounds like no one. It's not commercial. It never has been going back 40 years.

But at least nobody can accuse me of sounding like everybody else.

Sure, there will always be bad music. Doesn't matter whether someone has just picked a preset, or they are using a hand crafted sawtooth brass patch - it's ultimately how it all comes together, and what it's saying that counts, and that takes a crtain amount of skill and taste to do well - and that takes time to develop.

But ultimately, it isn't really the choice in sound selection that is a make or break for a track. I've no problem with someone who prefers to not use presets and sound design is an integral part of their procss, nor do I have a problem with people who aren't at all into sound design or making instruments, they just want to make music - as long as the end result speaks to me (or *someone*).

Using presets isn't necessarily an indication of "laziness" - it *can* be, but isn't necessarily.

legendCNCD wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:

Omnisphere is not a witch

Carry on
Heard it here first peeps. Omni can't do herpestep or witchwave
What!? I've done witchHOUSE style with it :D https://soundcloud.com/soft-knees/lost-tapes :D (not to take too seriously)
wait which house?

layzer wrote: and thats why you all sound the same.... go go preset boi :tu:
That Glenn Gould, eh? Always the same frickin' preset.

Mix it up Glenn, put some wub-wub on it!

wagtunes wrote:Not that I'm defending Layzer, because he's becoming a parody of himself "Hey, look at me...all free stuffs that can sound as good as $10,000 synths" but he has a point. A lot of stuff out there sounds like it came off a printing press. You can't tell one track from another. And that's partly because so many people think they have to sound a certain way to get "noticed". Sadly, to a point, that's true as commercial music has a sound. But then when everybody sounds the same, they all get lost in the soup. It's a fine line you have to walk between sounding the same and still sounding different in some way.
You can get cookie cutter sounds without using presets. Look at all the sound-design threads that all start "How DJ Craptastic get such shiny pluck? I'm using Serum crack. Pls to halp!!"

Pop along to the Gearslutz electronic music forum where various posters boast about their mad programming skillz to make...the same reverb-drenched dub techno as everyone else. They only think it sounds different because they spent 20 hours reinventing the wheel on a sub-bass.

I'd argue presets encourage different playing styles because you are more likely to use the control to make things not sound exactly like what's gone before.

beely wrote:Sure, there will always be bad music. Doesn't matter whether someone has just picked a preset, or they are using a hand crafted sawtooth brass patch - it's ultimately how it all comes together, and what it's saying that counts, and that takes a crtain amount of skill and taste to do well - and that takes time to develop.

But ultimately, it isn't really the choice in sound selection that is a make or break for a track. I've no problem with someone who prefers to not use presets and sound design is an integral part of their procss, nor do I have a problem with people who aren't at all into sound design or making instruments, they just want to make music - as long as the end result speaks to me (or *someone*).

Using presets isn't necessarily an indication of "laziness" - it *can* be, but isn't necessarily.
i'd rather be the guy that makes his own sounds, establishing his own musical identity than the one that hunts through 50,000 presets trying to find a patches that sound like everyone else.
Some sounds can be acceptable in a song from a preset, but other sounds like Bass sounds
that really make a difference in a track from its filter and amp envelopes, saturation, compression and so forth never come from a preset on my tracks. Its the difference between a track that
sounds like it was made with a general midi soundfont and one made with sounds
that were tailor made individually.

There are lots of synths with great sounding presets the work is finding a preset that
fits a track, or tweaking an existing preset to fit the track. i find it easier to tweak
a preset than hunt through 50,000 looking for that one sound i'm after.
therefore, i have several "template presets" for my most used synths.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Gamma-UT wrote: I'd argue presets encourage different playing styles because you are more likely to use the control to make things not sound exactly like what's gone before.
Yea if only every preset designer cared enough to use more than one f*ckin control. Mod wheel does f*ckin everything all the time, just forget breath exp and pedals!

Armagibbon wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote: I'd argue presets encourage different playing styles because you are more likely to use the control to make things not sound exactly like what's gone before.
Yea if only every preset designer cared enough to use more than one f*ckin control. Mod wheel does f*ckin everything all the time, just forget breath exp and pedals!
Does MIDI learn not work on your setup?

Gamma-UT wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:
Does MIDI learn not work on your setup?
Not what I'm talking about man. Performance controls are part of sound design. Why would I buy presets if I have to find cool shit to tweak on my own? Just make the patch myself at that point...

Return to “Instruments”