Plugin for ridiculous Fuzz Pedal Distortion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Face Bender:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/face-be ... ue/details

ReaComp can also be turned into a fuzzy distortion, if not an actual fuzz. Set the attack, release and RMS to 0, the ratio to 4 or higher and bring down the threshold.

I plan to do a few more stomps, and I'll roll them all out at $29 a pop. Currently planned are a guv'nor, a RAT, and a big muff, but I also like the look of a bunch of the boss stuff like the FZ-2 which is all discrete components in the distortion section, since it will be ultra fun to screw around with the components and make all sorts of variations.
woot woot? :o did I just hear someone wants to make precise emulations of muffs, fuzzes and rats? my Gilmourish brains suddenly went from like normal to massive explosion on spaghetti factory. or maybe it's a chronic condition... ah, anyway.

Andy, if you make a legit switchable fuzz to switch from germanium to silicon and not be subtle while at it, and a muff to go from Ram's shithead to a Sovtek goddamn monstrosity, screwdriving my ears every time I hear it dry, I will gladly pay you not only 29$ but 129$.

But only if you include ColorSound Powerboost along the way. Yes, that long orange carrot banana booster Dave used to drag around when he didn't look like an old gremlin and my young grandma still had a thing for him. He used to stick that booster into his fuzzes and muffs, and, all of a sudden, the harsh thingies were beginning to sound like smooth silk under one's buttocks. "Carrot into muff into endless tape echo = instant spacefuck". The guy definitely loved some, along with his band, didn't he? I'm sure the hallucinogenics helped. A LOT.

And then, if you take your look at modulations and shoot the original 1976/77 Electric Mistress and a nice chorusing import from 1979's Japan that goes under the name of Boss CE-2, I may finally build a decent The Wall 1980-81 tour tone ITB. But only if you pull off a Yamaha RA-200 rotary cab emulation. Check out the bloody thing on Youtube, it will swirl your ass off in a nice way. Thank me later.

I feel like I wore out my welcome with random precision. I shall fock off, then. Hats off to... not Roy Harper, no... Andy Cytomic! :clap:

Have not played a or heard a VST fuzz that can do fuzz tones justice yet. Maybe Andy can.

I just bought my first true fuzz pedal for a steal of a used deal, the Solid GoldFX Rosie (modernized Tonebender MKII clone, JFET input and silicon diodes) and I can't believe my ears. Instant early Zeppelin/Jimmy Page tones And I've only gotten to try it through ampsims thus far until I can try it at the jam space where my tube amp is. Such a wide range of sounds in that thing with simple minimal controls and even more when using it with different pickup/tone/volume knob configurations.

Next will be the EHX Green Russian Muff re-issue. I'm trying hard not to get addicted to fuzz pedals...

Huge Gilmour fan here too BTW.

Hoping EHX does a vintage spec re-issue of the original Electric Mistress, but this Donner Jet Convolution clone will do for now (yep, its an even better clone/version than either of EHX's current flanger mistress models), and also the Boss BF-2 MIJ (Japan) black knob version. The Small Clone (not nano/neo) in the big housing is a very nice analog effecty chorus. I have four variants of analog phasers (modern block logo MXR Phase 90, original battery only script logo 70's MXR Phase 100 :love: , EHX Nano Small Stone, Boss PH-2. Boss DM-3 analog delay and TC EchoBrain analog delay plus TC Nova RPT1 for delay duties to get any range of warm and spacey/tape/Echorec types of delay sounds. TC Viscous Vibe, best Univibe clone in the sub $150 range that is not a true analog photocell type. I'm wanting a dedicated good sounding leslie sim pedal, which I think will eventually be the MiniVent. Bogner Harlow boost/compressor, and any number of tube screamer type pedals to act as a Butler Tube Driver overdrive. Boss Keeley modded DS-1 when I need that crunchy/high gainy Marshall in a box type sound.

Lately I've been using analog pedals into a Presonus Tube Pre version 1, replaced with a clean v1 MESA 12ax7 tube for nice clean tube amp style compression punch, and can be overdriven too, into IK Stealth Pedal DI, into either a fairly clean ampsim or a slightly crunchy almost breakup Plexi style ampsim with great results. I might experiment with similar style vst chains to get inspired, then when I know I want to commit to that sound, I will turn on the pedals when I record. Ideally I should get an ABY box to split out a clean unaffected dry signal to record as well. If I had my Soldano amp here, I could mic it and also send the amp's line out DI out too.

Have my eye on the TC Hall of Fame 2 reverb, TC SubNup octave, Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah, and maybe the TC Flashback 2 delay. Very impressed with these digital TC Toneprint pedals, just lots of tones with that tone print editing ability, plus they throw in various controlable modulation and reverb/delay into some of the other effect pedals on the toneprint editing.

andy-cytomic wrote:boss stuff like the FZ-2 which is all discrete components in the distortion section, since it will be ultra fun to screw around with the components and make all sorts of variations.
That's my all time favorite, my fix to the NL2x dilema. I found the shiny new convertor is a bit too clean, but after using it with the FZ-2, it lives again! I like the new converter through the FZ-2 which provides a unique sound of it's own. It's going to be a challenge to develop something as great sounding and authentic. But based on The Scream experience, I'm optimist about it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Granted, as I have half a dozen actual fuzz pedals, I have not tried a lot of plugins, but I searched for a while once when I had a screwy mic situation (running a second direct line ftw) and tried a bunch and ultimately found and used the Bias Pedal plug with really nice results.

Ive since used it a lot on, mostly not guitars, in the box synths...it is super versatile.

crystalmsc wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:boss stuff like the FZ-2 which is all discrete components in the distortion section, since it will be ultra fun to screw around with the components and make all sorts of variations.
That's my all time favorite, my fix to the NL2x dilema. I found the shiny new convertor is a bit too clean, but after using it with the FZ-2, it lives again! I like the new converter through the FZ-2 which provides a unique sound of it's own. It's going to be a challenge to develop something as great sounding and authentic. But based on The Scream experience, I'm optimist about it.
Ahh, forgot to mention that me and my friend share an FZ-2. I say share because a bass player that once jammed with us, moved away and left it at the jam spot, and we haven't been able to get into contact him for years and has not shown back up for it, so we both borrow it back and forth. He used his FZ-2 with his dual output Rickenbacker bass, and had two Ampeg heads feeding 2 4x10 cabs and a 1x15 inch cab :o . The Rickenbaker's neck pickup output went out to the 4x10 + 1x15 cab on a super clean deep round low bass/low mid tone on the one amp, and the bridge pickup output went into the FZ-2 into the other Ampeg amp and 4x10 cab, with that amps gain cranked and set kind of high mid and treble-y :evil: Talk about just a full range huge wall of sound and harmonics coming from a bass guitar player, kind of like Geezer Butler or Cliff Burton but with lots of funky sweet round low end sub frequencies that shook the concrete walls of my friends basement. I think his parents must have hated us when he came over to jam if they happened to be home :hihi:

Cytomic The Scream.
:borg:

Any news on the Cytomic Fuzz Pedal that was being developped in 2017 ?

triggerthehorizon wrote:Any news on the Cytomic Fuzz Pedal that was being developped in 2017 ?
I'm finishing off the low fixed cpu mode of The Scream at the moment, so I've not even started work on a fuzz pedal.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

A fuzz pedal as authentic as the Scream sounds would be very welcome. Technically a Fuzz is a simpler circuit (I'm no pedal builder or electrical engineer though), but the components used in such a Fuzz make all the difference.

In the last couple months I gave in and bought the 3 main popular types of fuzz pedals to use for my live sound with real amp. That being the fuzz face circuit (Amptweaker Tight Fuzz, with selectable germanium or Silicon modes), the Tonebender Mk II circuit (SolidGoldFX Rosie Silicon type), and the Big Muff circuit (The EHX Green Russian Big muff reissue). First time using real fuzz pedals outside of software emulations. So surprised about how a real fuzz reacts and how different they can sound depending on guitar/pickups and amp and other drive pedals in the signal path. They also sound great goin into ampsim.

So far my favorite is the Silicon Tonebender (SolidGoldFX Rosie). Seems to be the most versatile for anything between dynamic clean to crunch, overdrive and full on almost higher gain fuzz. Instant Jimmy Page or Jeff Beck sounds with a strat or LP. Though I've been on a Gilmour kick lately so I had to get a tweakable fuzz face circuit and also the venerable Russian sovtek style Big Muff. I just need a good Univibe now (eyes on the Fulltone Dejavibe custom shop pedal).

I'm promising myself I won't go down the Fuzz pedal rabbit hole though lol.

I love my old Big Muff Pi for old-school rawk. But I REALLY love my Wampler Velvet Fuzz for everything else distorted or fuzzy. It has astonishingly great tonal versatility. I'd pay good money for an accurate software version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Dd9rd ... ME&index=3

You should check our new distortions, that includes a Ram's Head Big Muff (modeled from an actual vintage one). https://www.audiority.com/shop/pedalboard-distortions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0suKyZE ... jL-26-D707

What's it like now in 2022 for fuzz vsts? Is there anything out there (paid or free) that gets you close to Electric wizard (dopethrone)/Conan sludge tones?

Cheers

Good question. I've never tried to get that sound digitally, as I have a bunch of real fuzz pedals - but it would be cool to know if it's actually possible.

I'm curious about these 2 - I don't think they existed when this thread was started:

https://www.audiority.com/shop/big-goat/
https://www.kuassa.com/products/efektor-fz3603-fuzz/

Both of those are good!

Another good option that gets slept on (presumably because of the price tag...) is Helix Native, which has a great selection of classic fuzz pedals. Some of them were added in updates.

I'm still waiting for a virtual fuzz that lets us vary the input impedence for volume-pot-cleanup effects.

Return to “Effects”