Solved: Kontakt 5.7.0 install issues (kudos to EvilDragon for the remedies)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt

EvilDragon wrote:You're copying, not flat-out moving, that's why you likely didn't have any issues... The problem happens when you move the DLL from somewhere where the installer might expect it, then depending on how installer was programmed, it is lead to believe that it's not supposed to install that bitness of VST at ALL, etc. Which is what happened with 5.7 update here.
Ah, ah. I was suspecting that. That's why I always used copy. I knew that the installer needed to have a reference when updating.
Fernando (FMR)

In my Program Data folder, there is lots of space taken up by Native Instruments, 663MB.

But remove any of that, and any update will be screwed :scared:

fmr wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:You're copying, not flat-out moving, that's why you likely didn't have any issues... The problem happens when you move the DLL from somewhere where the installer might expect it, then depending on how installer was programmed, it is lead to believe that it's not supposed to install that bitness of VST at ALL, etc. Which is what happened with 5.7 update here.
Ah, ah. I was suspecting that. That's why I always used copy. I knew that the installer needed to have a reference when updating.
Having common knowledge. That's a relief :)
Numanoid wrote:In my Program Data folder, there is lots of space taken up by Native Instruments, 663MB.

But remove any of that, and any update will be screwed :scared:
Yes, because those are base installers for the software used to modify or uninstall the installed application. They need to be there. Other applications created with InstallShield installers also have their uninstallers in ProgramData, that's just how things are. Live with it.

EvilDragon wrote:that's just how things are. Live with it.
Now, that is what I call customer support and understanding.

Which other company has such a big footprint on a user hard drive for their uninstaller(s)?

663 MB? That's nothing. :P

Numanoid wrote:
By all means feel free to complain about this to InstallShield. Not NI, because they have nothing to do with it.

chk071 wrote:663 MB? That's nothing. :P
The Kontakt 5 dll, is about 10% off nothing, only 62MB, so I guess it must then mean it is completely useless :D
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
By all means feel free to complain about this to InstallShield. Not NI, because they have nothing to do with it.
Have NI sourced out Native Access to installshield?

I just delete all that shit, there is a single entry (per product)
that you can remove from the win registry to force NA to reinstall
something if I want to update. Modify my installation haha, tell me
another one. :lol:

Of course, I'm only using 4 or 5 products.

I couldnt even getting the shitting thing to install until Id nuked the registry of it and reinstalled the version on my Kontakt 9 disc.

Since using Native Access is caused all sorts of installation and update problems for me
Amazon: why not use an alternative

With Native Instruments i always let the installer install the plugins in the default location (on C Program Files) and then move them manually to my VST folder.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote:With Native Instruments i always let the installer install the plugins in the default location (on C Program Files) and then move them manually to my VST folder.
I have been creating symbolic and/or hard links from the original installer locations to my preferred VST folder. I have my VST folder set to my preferred location in the Windows registry as well. This allows my DAW configuration to point to less VST plugin folders. Some installers like Waves and Cakewalk do not provide much flexibility for the plugin installation folder. I also noticed with Applied Acoustics Systems that their installer copies the plugin DLLs to *multiple* locations.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:I also noticed with Applied Acoustics Systems that their installer copies the plugin DLLs to *multiple* locations.
Have you tried installing Arturia plugs ? :scared:

Numanoid wrote:Have you tried installing Arturia plugs ? :scared:
I cannot say I have had that pleasure.

I have also noticed that many of my Applied Acoustics Systems preset installations appear in both the Service Center and Native Access apps, I am guessing because they are NKS compliant now.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Cubase 9 blacklisted both Kontakt 5.7.0 and the latest Battery on the first pass. I got it then to accept Kontakt when I tried again (it was complaining about the time it took to scan them and that's why it blacklisted them) but I had to manually re-activate Battery in cubase.

Odd.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Instruments”