Windows 10 - Fall Creators update (1709) - experiences

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

t3toooo wrote:Don't forget to have a look and update your board drivers though.On the Asus site there are newer drivers for WiFi ,Bluetooth and for Chipset (ME) for newer boards.I guess Microsoft can't and won't be so fast to include them directly in the major update.
Asus are normally pretty lousy as well, once the board has been out a few months. Best option tends to be to check what brand of Wifi/Bluetooth/chipset is and get it from the component manufacturer.

If your on an Intel board for instance, all three of those *might* be Intel hardware. In which case go to www.intel.com and download the system update tool.

Wired network and GPU are normally worth doing too. If you can't suss out what a component is then head over to https://www.piriform.com/speccy or https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor and grab the tool, run a system scan and track down the results.

thejonsolo wrote: I reverted back to an earlier restore point, just to have it reinstall the next day, and this time eliminating the previous restore points. So two computers- broken.
Turn on 'metered connection' under WiFi settings and you don't need to worry about automated update downloads
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I compared this OS aver the Anniversary version and didn't find any difference in performance...Somebody can confirm this one Is better than other win10 ones for audio and midi (tested with ableton live9, Samplitude proX3 and 300 different vst...)? I dont need the windows gadgets or the VR stuff and I don't play games!
I always disconnect the automatic updates for my music computer to get rid of problems, I had in the past performance problems after updates "blue screen or lost my computer configuration"...I will never again take this kind of risks.I'll do clean clones of my System and with dedicated software installed on usb key I'ts very safe.

I have done all the past updates without issue but bin this case it set me up as a new user (apps/desktop ect) so I had to play around for a while to get my originals settings and all my plugs wanted to re-scan, some wanted me to get new codes (every time Korg!) but no real harm done...sloppy that it happened though Windows, people expect top come back to their original user settings! :ud:

All in all however I am happy with the updates I am getting 'for free' from Windows, you don't have to update, but its great top get some of this cool new tech for nothing (and I am a VR user) so generally :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Just been told by Microsoft support that Windows 10 is tied to my motherboard on my old computer so I have to pay full price to activate it on my new computer. :x

Jax Pok wrote:Just been told by Microsoft support that Windows 10 is tied to my motherboard on my old computer so I have to pay full price to activate it on my new computer. :x
If you log into Windows with your Microsoft account, the license is tied to your account, not to the hardware.

And, BTW, OEM licenses were always bound to the hardware.

And, another thing: You can still buy a Windows 7 license, which you can get dirt cheap on the net, and activate Windows 10 with that. So, no big deal.

I went through all that with them they wont do it any way but a full payment for Windows 10 for a computer with a different motherboard.

Again, log into Windows 10 with your Microsoft account, and the license is bound to your account, not the hardware. If you upgraded to Windows 10 on that computer (from a former OS), you can link your license to your account, definitely. If you don't want to do it that way, i'm afraid there is no possibility of moving that license to another computer.

Mostly easy going so far except my wifi doesn't connect automatically to my wifi when I get home. It now requires me to enter in all the details and labels them sequencally each time ie.21,22,23 etc each time I connect.

Jax Pok Are you in the UK? Look at eBay. :party:
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I bought another copy of windows 10 Microsoft support wont activate this computer with the other Windows 10 licence they say it's bound to the motherboard of the old computer. I guess it's to do with it being the free upgrade that I was using.

Hey, if you're sorted out, then, fair enough. :tu: You still could have bound the license to your Microsoft account though, without the need to rebuy, no matter what support workers from India tell you. My last 2 contacts with Microsoft activation support were absolutely horrible. The women i talked to hardly understood me, because they weren't even from Germany, it seemed. And they had no idea either. "Huh, you activated Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key?? Impossible... Your version is also a OEM license, which can't be transferred...". Well, both wrong, my dear ladies.

Microsoft support didn't even dig for detail or check my account they just threw me into a wall.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”