I'm looking for a special kind of smart arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kevvvvv wrote:_pix_

Can I ask you a Thesys question?

Say I set the key to A minor, then triggered a root riff in Am

If I transpose the riff to up to C, will it know to adjust the sequence to C major, or will it duplicate the root chord and play C minor?

ie, will or won't it automatically shift the flattened third to a major third when I hit C.

Your help on this appreciated.

kevvvvv
Kev, unless there is some kind of key designation switch or setting, I don't see how any arp can know that when you're playing a C note you want C major but when you switch to an A note (the 6th in the key of C which is Am) it knows you want the arp to switch to Am and know which notes in the sequence to change. I mean how does it know you really don't want to switch to A major? And what if you did want to switch to A major?

Honestly, I am very suspect about all these so called "smart" arps when I know that composing music can become quite complex. (A B note in C major is Bdim. How the hell is the arp gonna handle that?)

And I won't even get into songs that change keys.

Basic major minor is enough for me, nothing complex.

Since I left off playing guitar, I can't remember when I last played a diminished chord :)

I'm not looking for something that autowrites the song, although some of the suggestions in this thread are interesting (thanks all :wink: ).

I've laid off using bought loops and auto stuff for a while now.

Much prefer to write what's in my head, inner me if you will.

And much more preferable to being forced into a musical corner by a premade loop, which never seems satisfying.

I also prefer to write direct into my midi editor, as I've practiced at getting quite quick at this, except for ostinatos and repeating motifs which are a chore to keep writing transposing.

It's easy to make a mistake when copying bars and a small change is required to stay in key, eg, flattened to major thirds being the obvious culprit.

Hence my post.

Possibly I'm asking too much. But one can still ask. This is KVR after all :D

'preciate all your help
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Ableton is perfect for making scale constrained arp/one note chords/whatever. And you can record the resulting midi to further edit your arps.
But thats probably overkill as a vsti option^^

_pix_

Wrote to Sugar Bytes.

V quick and pleasant reply.

But it doesn't do what I'm after.

Thanks for the pointer all the same.

kevvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I guess I'm rattling my cage to no good end, chasing a transposing arp gadget.

afaik I've only seen it done in 2 synths since KVR started.

But I'll keep trying.

I've found technology usually catches up in the end, and I've an optimistic nature :)

Meanwhile, back to the slog :cry:

And picking black friday instruments for xmas prezzies :D

kevvvvv wrote:I guess I'm rattling my cage to no good end, chasing a transposing arp gadget.

afaik I've only seen it done in 2 synths since KVR started.

But I'll keep trying.

I've found technology usually catches up in the end, and I've an optimistic nature :)

Meanwhile, back to the slog :cry:

And picking black friday instruments for xmas prezzies :D
I really do wish you luck but I'm not surprised at the lack of success. I have found that all the "shortcuts" to composing are limited. No machine can replace the human mind.

Maybe this can do what you're looking for?

MelodicFlow

ZeePok wrote: 
Maybe this can do what you're looking for?

MelodicFlow
I was just going to suggest that. And the dev is going to do a black friday deal, so sign up for the newsletter if you are interested.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have been playing with bluearp, nora and Cream, but the arpeggiator that I use all the time is Xfer records Cthulhu https://xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu. The chord module alone is worth the money, it has so many voicings which arw so inspirational. Check out the demo.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

kevvvvv wrote:Basic major minor is enough for me, nothing complex.
I'm still not clear to me what you are looking to do... you said in your original post that you want an arp the follows when you change chords... but when you play an arp, it is your chords that are defining which notes are played...

pdxindy wrote:
I'm still not clear to me what you are looking to do... you said in your original post that you want an arp the follows when you change chords... but when you play an arp, it is your chords that are defining which notes are played...
He is most likely referring to one note chords where you hit say C on the keyboard and it plays a C major like sequence of say C3-E3-G3-C4-C4-G3-E3-C3.

When then hitting an A key, assuming it simply transposes the sequences up 9 steps, the next sequence would be A3-C#4 which would be in the key of A. But if he wants the A that he's playing to actually be the 6th of the key of C, then he wants the sequence to change the C#4 to a C4 to make it a minor sequence.

I have yet to find an arpeggiator that is smart enough to be able to do that.

But that's what he wants to do.

Thanks for translating! So he wants a "chord progression generator." There is a free one, Chordz by CodeFN42. I have heard good things about it, but it is Windows only and I am Mac:
http://www.codefn42.com/chordz/index.html

Edit: Tonespace by mucoder is another free plugin. You mouseclick on the chords in your progression and it plays/outputs midi. It has been around for years and is very well-written (Win/Mac):
http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

Edit2: This is an area where tablets excel (midi-channels-to-DAW) but that's a different Forum!
Last edited by Michael L on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
He is most likely referring to one note chords where you hit say C on the keyboard and it plays a C major like sequence of say C3-E3-G3-C4-C4-G3-E3-C3.

When then hitting an A key, assuming it simply transposes the sequences up 9 steps, the next sequence would be A3-C#4 which would be in the key of A. But if he wants the A that he's playing to actually be the 6th of the key of C, then he wants the sequence to change the C#4 to a C4 to make it a minor sequence.

Just using Logic... I would use the Chord Trigger Device... you can program each key to be the multi-note chord you want. Put the Chord Trigger first, followed by the Arpeggiator... then you can play single notes and get the chords you want arpeggiated.

This is called "diatonic transposition." The old Yamaha Q hardware sequencers could do this. Create your pattern and select your chords on the Chord Track and the pattern is transposed to match your chords. I think it is a cool feature but it isn't commonly included in modern sequencers. If all else fails, you can pick up a used Q sequencer on eBay.
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Just using Logic... I would use the Chord Trigger Device... you can program each key to be the multi-note chord you want. Put the Chord Trigger first, followed by the Arpeggiator... then you can play single notes and get the chords you want arpeggiated.
1) Don't know if he has Logic.

2) That's still an awful lot of unnecessary work. I'd never do all that. I'd want a smart ARP as well where it just KNOWS that if I designate key of C and hit an A note to play the 6th of C which is A minor.

I doubt he's going to want to do all that either.

Return to “Instruments”