Strymon Big Sky vs Software Reverbs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Big Sky verbs are great, but they are algorithm based. Just like the H9 where Eventide is slowly selling individual versions of each algorithm, the Strymon guys could do the same thing. IMO there are tons of algo based reverbs ITB that are just as good and at least 1 I like better (B2). And, I like convolution verbs way better for environmental recreation rooms/plates for example. But, you just can't beat the convenience of them with your external gear. I don't see myself ever bussing an external loop to a BigSky. I however, DO buss to several analog pieces of gear. But, I also have no problem putting my guitar through an H9 or Strymon in front of my amp and micing that.

So in short, they sound as good as any Algo verb. But, you can probably save yourself some grief ITB using plugins, and staying with OTB pedals for external gear. Neither suffers from audio quality in their specific domain. This is a total generalization though. There are lots of one off reasons why you would choose to do things completely different.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”