Best LA-2A compressor VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Might not be what a happy plugin user wants to hear; but here we go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhssQyW1vbQ
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

The free UADx LA-2A Tube Compressor (without the R37 Pre-emphasis) does not null with either the UADx LA-2A Silver Compressor or the UADx LA-2A Gray Compressor. There is barely any cancellation at all between them.

You can see he's using the free UADx LA-2A Tube Compressor at 11:08.
Clearly, the presence of the R37 has an effect on the sound, even when set fully to HF −
It would have been a more informative test had he not been using the incomplete free model.
Last edited by jamcat on Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

^Valid point.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

It's also weird that he's showing the original legacy v1 UA Digital LA-2A in the cover image.

UAD LA-2A (legacy):

UAD LA-2A Tube Compressor (free version):

Now I'm wondering if the legacy and free versions might null...

Sounds like someone just threw a video together to get some reactionary clicks and followers.. Cant even be bothered to use the correct graphics for the plugin he's whining about and fails to mention he's using a 'cut down' free version too.

Well, in his defense, he starts off the video talking about the free version, and that's really what he's focused on. So I already suspected that was what he's using before confirming it. But he doesn't really address the fact that it is a stripped down, incomplete model that sounds totally different from the current, full LA-2A versions. Perhaps that fact either wasn't even on his radar, or wasn't relevant to his purpose.

The video could still be informative for people who got the free version who want to know how close it is to the real thing. Just don't take that and apply the conclusions to the full versions.

Also, I think he could have gotten closer matching by ear rather than just by metering. But without the R37, the stripped down version is never going to nail the real LA-2A.

The bottom line is you still need the full LA-2A Collection.

There's still one day left to get it for $29:
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... de-free-la

Or a whole bundle with it for $49:
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... free-la-2a

Universal Audio LA-2A Tube Compressor free unregistered serial: JHFD-D60V-076B-RVJ0

please leave a post if you use it, so others know its taken

It's gone, someone beat me to it.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

jamcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:18 pm The free UADx LA-2A Tube Compressor (without the R37 Pre-emphasis) does not null with either the UADx LA-2A Silver Compressor or the UADx LA-2A Gray Compressor. There is barely any cancellation at all between them.
I didn't watch the video.
I have all of UAD LA's (in native format) and I discovered some time ago that if you put pre-emphasis control at about 95% on a silver model it looks identical to LA-2A TC in PluginDoctor, and I mean identical. I'm not able to hear any difference either.
Last edited by Scarlet Pumpernickel on Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They're different, but I like Black Rooster.

I'm using the free UAD version and it is a great plugin. Is it the best? How much does it sound like hardware? I don't know as I'm too much of a newb.

However, I'm not a newb on guitars and I see folks spending a lot of money on gear when they have neither the knowledge nor the ability to take advantage of the nuanced improvements that they're paying for. The key is getting something quality and not blowing money on upgrades until you say "This is great but I really wish it had xxx."

Right now I don't have the knowledge and skill to tell the difference so I'm using the free LA-2A version which sounds great. I have a suspicion that there are others in my position.

soundmodel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:34 am They're different, but I like Black Rooster.
Me too. They get the job done, I have their bundle for vintage emulations, I am happy with what I have and don't care what's the latest and greatest.

Tbh I believe the VLA-2A could be the most accurate native plugin. UAD is perhaps the most accurate.

NI is decent.

For a similar ballpark but not LA-2A, look at Acme XLA-3. Kind of a 30% 1176 and 70% LA-2A.

soundmodel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:27 pm For a similar ballpark but not LA-2A, look at Acme XLA-3. Kind of a 30% 1176 and 70% LA-2A.
Analog Obsession's Comper is worth a look, dual compressors, VCA, FET and opto.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/comper-74729047
"Multi-Mode", "Serial Compression" with "Switchable" and "Blendable" circuits!

You can also try any LA-2A model and adding distortion and EQ.

I have tested most models and most fail around the transient, the snap, and the weight around 300 Hz.

Return to “Effects”