Mastering, any tutorials?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mastering is from the 90s, today we push upload buttons https://www.landr.com Image

Book a session with a local mastering engineer. Sit, watch, listen, and ask questions. You will learn more that day than months worth of book reading or online trawling.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Book a session with a local mastering engineer. Sit, watch, listen, and ask questions. You will learn more that day than months worth of book reading or online trawling.
I did a google map search and actually found quite a few small studios near my house, thanks for the suggestion!

Best way to learn, seriously!

I found one in my house too.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I found one in my house too.
Lucky you! I had to pay a pretty penny for mine! :wink:

monomox wrote:
Aloysius wrote:I found one in my house too.
Lucky you! I had to pay a pretty penny for mine! :wink:
Only one pretty penny? :hihi:

:lol:

Learning what it IS can be useful, but I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it - unless becoming a mastering engineer is your true calling. Otherwise, time is better spent learning to be a better mixer.

There's a great thread on gearslutz if you want to learn one successful mastering engineer's thinking. As a complete hobbyist, I still found it enlightening.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/masteri ... ons-1.html

Oh, you said "Mastering", I read something else, never mind.

For a start use dynamic eq to.hear if u need.to.corect anywhere ur mix its.much better then static eq.Then compress with any suitable mastering compressor slow attack medium release sidechain engaged to avoid any compression up to 300 hz.Then Add sweet sounding eqs with gentle.boost if it have any air.bands.maybe less fullness just experiment.Then add Mid Side Eq low.cut the side up to 90 hz or whatever works the mid to 32 hz.If u are happy with what u hear start smashing it with a. Clipper and then 1 or 2 limiters.U can use parallel distortion tape.consolw whatever but this miggt muddy ur master so u better avoid.it.Use detailed sounding headphones as mastering speakers cost arm.and leg.U can make great masters if u experiment with this tricks this is what ur mastering engineer will.do.

Or you could just avoid 99% of the above for a much cleaner result... :)

Reference, reference tracks. Closely matching spectral balance makes all the difference.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Just do what sounds good to you. I like a lot of stuff from the '30s up until the early '90s. Not one of my hundreds of CDs is 'balanced'. Most of them sound s*it actually from a technical point of view. If you took off the fizzy distortion from a lot of Rock Bands, the music would loose its excitement. If you make an 80s track too bass heavy, it will drag the groove down. That music sounds best when it's a bit lite.

If you look up some tutorials, you'll be presented with every option. Some of the best people do things that are technically 'wrong'. You really have to make up your own mind what sounds good to you. Your influences and your taste are your own.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Or you could just avoid 99% of the above for a much cleaner result... :)
Yeah, my biggest takeaway from the Bob Katz book was "working in 24 bit audio with proper gain staging, don't process unless it gives you the sonic result you're seeking, or is required for distribution formats." I was using master bus limiting because all my track levels were too high. :lol: After deciding what the loudest element should be and bringing down everything around to fit (leaving headroom on the master bus) my mixes sound fuller, wider, and more detailed.

Return to “Production Techniques”