What's your easiest synth to coax nice sounds from?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me it has to be LuSH-101. Every time I sit down with it, I am just in heaven and making new patches without frustration. Some other synths I love are much more challenging to get something good out of it as easily.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Yes Lush is great, I find Avenger easy to use.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

My go-to synths are Zebra2, FM8 and probably now adding Cycle to that list. Two of these in particular are not considered user-friendly (Cycle in particular looked really intimidating at first, like something you'd need a degree in advanced physics to use, but I am finding once you understand some basic things you can make a lot of really musical sounding stuff you wouldn't be able to make in other synths). FM8, another that I've seen a lot of people complain about, is probably the synth I have used the most over the years, and I find it really easy to sit down and come up with something I like. I guess I just find FM fairly intuitive.

I played a bit with the demo for LUSH-101 at one point and it's certainly a great synth.

Now i would say it‘s Repro. Followed by P900.
Nothing worth that these also my 2 favorite synth plug-ins.

goldenhelix wrote:I guess I just find FM fairly intuitive.
:o

Wow, not me, but I'm kind of a dummy at my rapidly advancing age. :hihi:

I owned an SH-101 when they were new, it was my first synth that I learned on, and you HAD to program it since it had no memory, so LuSH-101 is like second nature, but way more advanced of course than a straight SH-101. I absolutely hated the DX7 when it came out, but Arturia's new take on it seems really interesting to me, I may have to try the demo out soon. It sounds like it eats your CPU though.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:

Don't beat yourself up. The people I've encountered who have a hard time with this synth far outnumber those who think it's intuitive. I honestly put it down to not having ever received a good explanation of it. I guess I was lucky in that I just naturally sort of understood it (I learned FM7 originally without any manual whatsoever) but I can see how some people might need FM in general explained to them before they really understand what's even happening. You kinda have to have a mathematical view of things, thinking about interrelationships of the different frequencies. To simplify, you have to think in terms of multiplication whereas in subtractive synthesis you are thinking in terms of addition/subtraction (obviously). The thing I like about FM in general is that I feel like the different wave interactions is more like a living system than a couple of oscillators you blend together and filter on a subtractive synth, for example. On the one hand you can get a lot of crazy non-organic sounds that you can't really get using most other forms of synthesis, but on the other hand you can do some good basic modeling of real instruments. :)

goldenhelix wrote:
braj wrote:

Don't beat yourself up. The people I've encountered who have a hard time with this synth far outnumber those who think it's intuitive. I honestly put it down to not having ever received a good explanation of it. I guess I was lucky in that I just naturally sort of understood it (I learned FM7 originally without any manual whatsoever) but I can see how some people might need FM in general explained to them before they really understand what's even happening. You kinda have to have a mathematical view of things, thinking about interrelationships of the different frequencies. To simplify, you have to think in terms of multiplication whereas in subtractive synthesis you are thinking in terms of addition/subtraction (obviously). The thing I like about FM in general is that I feel like the different wave interactions is more like a living system than a couple of oscillators you blend together and filter on a subtractive synth, for example. On the one hand you can get a lot of crazy non-organic sounds that you can't really get using most other forms of synthesis, but on the other hand you can do some good basic modeling of real instruments. :)
Yeah, I get the basics of it, but I still don't find it intuitive. Anyhow, my favorite FM synth experience so far is actually Caustic's 3 operator FM synth on my Android phone, it is simple enough that I can work with it without getting frustrated, as limited as it may be compared to other FM synths. I have a lot of fun with that while waiting for various stuff to happen.

Dune 1

One Ping Only
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tal u no lx.

Every little tweak brings some thing new and always sounds sooo good. Simple but still my favorite.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Aloysius wrote:One Ping Only
+1 :clap:

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:Tal u no lx.

Every little tweak brings some thing new and always sounds sooo good. Simple but still my favorite.
Yeah, definitely. :tu:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Nexus :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Easiest? Softube Modular. Just slap on the 259e and it does all the heavy lifting for you.

Return to “Instruments”