Which is more important in a DAW, REX support or that it runs on Linux?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Which is more important in a DAW, REX support or that it runs on Linux?

REX support is more important
30%
Linux support is more important
70%

Total votes: 50

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like the poll says, which one is more important?
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Neither. :P

I vote for C.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Running under rexbuntu

Ask Bitwig. :lol:
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

I think it's cool that there's a big-name DAW available to people who want to use an open-source OS.

summer2000 wrote:Ask Bitwig. :lol:
Hihi... :hihi:

Rex support can be added with plugins, Linux support can't.

Also, Linux support is your fallback to ensure you can still make music when Apple and/or MS go truly off the deep end. We're already seeing it with Apple's limited selection of pro hardware and MS baking adverts into the OS...

chk071 wrote:Neither. :P
:tu:

Yep, both are equally unimportant.

Steve

Well, I use Linux, bot not REX 8) :D

I think for market penetration Linux is more important, but for me neither.
dedication to flying

AFAIK, Linux systems can read REX files just fine, like any other file.

Tracktion and Renoise have Linux versions, can't they read .rx2 files?

The Windows version of those can (Tracktion 7 can, not sure about T6).

imrae wrote:Rex support can be added with plugins, Linux support can't.

Also, Linux support is your fallback to ensure you can still make music when Apple and/or MS go truly off the deep end. We're already seeing it with Apple's limited selection of pro hardware and MS baking adverts into the OS...
Funny thing is that something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint is much more prone to go "offline" than both Windows and MacOS. Ubuntu depends on the goodwill of Mark Shuttleworth and his company, and Linux Mint largely depends on Ubuntu, and on the motivation of the Mint team to go on. It is already very apparent how much Canonical/Shuttleworth set back the Ubuntu project in favour of their base of daily income, which is their cloud solutions.

Same with most of the other distros too, actually.

imrae wrote:Rex support can be added with plugins, Linux support can't.

As far as Apple goes, they lost me with Logic X and their OS killing/update policy, as far as Microsoft go, they lost me with Windows 10, so when 8.1 becomes XP, I will look into Linux again.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”