Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BeeDog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:32 am So, do we still believe this will pop up before the year ends?
I believe this will pop up before the next year ends.

We have proof it's not vaporware.

It did seem like Randy wanted to get at least an early release version out while it's this year.. but it might be 11:59PM on New Year's Eve in Hawaiian Standard Time ;)

foosnark wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 pm We have proof it's not vaporware.

It did seem like Randy wanted to get at least an early release version out while it's this year.. but it might be 11:59PM on New Year's Eve in Hawaiian Standard Time ;)
SUMU would be a nice way to say good bye to 2023. Hopefully Randy is doing well and being reasonable. SUMU would also be a nice way to welcome 2024

Sumu has vanished in the fog.
What a pity!

No it ain't. The beta is running, and while progress is indeed slower than most would like, there is progress! It's behaving better and better with each iteration.

Reactions like these just show that, as a developer, you should never promise any release dates, unless everything is absolutely finished.

jules99 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:37 pm Reactions like these just show that, as a developer, you should never promise any release dates, unless everything is absolutely finished.
Promise, or was more like: we're aiming for/we're hoping for/if all goes according to plan?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Just received an update. Next release date for an earlier version is February

Sumu update.
I'm currently hard at work on the Windows version. I don't think of this as porting work, because I already have a cross-platform framework in place that I first rolled out with Aaltoverb, but whatever we call it, getting to a working Windows plugin is taking more time than I expected. I have a fast new development machine for (Ryzen 7, these chips are very impressive) and there were two weeks worth of issues to work out gettting all the dev tools running and Sumu and Vutu building. The good news is that they both are building now! This puts me on track to release the Early Access version for both Mac and Windows by early February. Once I get the Windows beta out I can set an actual release date.

While we're talking platforms: people often ask if I'm interested in making a Linux version. The answer is a wholehearted yes. Especially with the work I'm going to be doing this year on documenting my plugin framework so other people can use it, I'm fully on board with supporting a computing experience that's not controlled by one corporation or another.
here's the relevant bits from the email received today (Jan 3rd)

Communication is good :tu:

I do think there was a bit too much optimism earlier on. The original estimate was Spring 2018... it was definitely going to happen in 2021... it was going to be ready for October 2023, then for sure it was going to be released as an early access thing in December 2023 and this time it felt pretty confident since there was the Databroth video and interviews and so on.

But it's good to know things are still in progress and it'll see the light of day in less than 5 more years :D

I'm still pretty convinced that it'll be worth the wait (but glad it wasn't a preorder sort of situation!)

dayjob wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm
Sumu update.
I'm currently hard at work on the Windows version. I don't think of this as porting work, because I already have a cross-platform framework in place that I first rolled out with Aaltoverb, but whatever we call it, getting to a working Windows plugin is taking more time than I expected. I have a fast new development machine for (Ryzen 7, these chips are very impressive) and there were two weeks worth of issues to work out gettting all the dev tools running and Sumu and Vutu building. The good news is that they both are building now! This puts me on track to release the Early Access version for both Mac and Windows by early February. Once I get the Windows beta out I can set an actual release date.

While we're talking platforms: people often ask if I'm interested in making a Linux version. The answer is a wholehearted yes. Especially with the work I'm going to be doing this year on documenting my plugin framework so other people can use it, I'm fully on board with supporting a computing experience that's not controlled by one corporation or another.
here's the relevant bits from the email received today (Jan 3rd)
Oh, Wow!!! They are going to support Linux!!!! This is big news!!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

:D

:?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

I'd buy now, but can't.
Wife gives money, but dev doesn't deliver.
Cruel world!

Return to “Instruments”