Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

There's been pages of discussion about it in this Roland Cloud thread.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

“one of the most popular synthesizers in history”

Really? I find that a bit of a stretch.

Granted, I still have mine, but it doesn’t see any use these days (least of all because of my ex-wife deliberately smashing the display). No, I can’t see this being the plugin which tips the scales to make me pay a monthly fee to Roland.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

For every 12 months of subscription you get one permanent licenser despite following subscriptions (see subscriber loyalty rewards program https://www.rolandcloud.com/faq)
If you will, you can get a permanent license for the JV-1080 for $215.40 including using all other instruments for 12 months.

tedannemann wrote:For every 12 months of subscription you get one permanent licenser despite following subscriptions (see subscriber loyalty rewards program https://www.rolandcloud.com/faq)
If you will, you can get a permanent license for the JV-1080 for $215.40 including using all other instruments for 12 months.
I can replace my real JV-1080 for about $100.

when your wife smashes your synth, you know she's a bitch.

you wanna fight bitch, come at me, but don't touch my fuggin synth!

Have 1080 and 2080 hardware...

devPp wrote:when your wife smashes your synth, you know she's a bitch.

you wanna fight bitch, come at me, but don't touch my fuggin synth!
And that’s the thing. It would probably cost as much to replace the display as to replace the whole thing. 1080s just aren’t worth much anymore.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for a month, and sampling some presets from the JV-1080 and D-50, rather than spend potentially $2400 over ten years.
Buy the real instruments... sample them... then sell then for what you paid for them

Timfonie wrote:There's been pages of discussion about it in this Roland Cloud thread.
There indeed had been lots of discissions since the JV-1080 plugin was released.

Anyway the JV-1080 plugin is not just a simple 1:1 emulation, the advanced features make it closer to the XV-3080 and XV-5080 synths.
This also includes having all 1083 PCM waves from those XV synths instead of just having the 448 original waveforms of the JV-1080.
Additionally the plugin like those XV synths has true stereo waveforms for each of the 4 "Tones", has 10 "structures" (that define the routing of 2 of the 4 tones including e.g. having serial filters, ring modulation and a "booster"), 2 additional LPF modes from those XV synths and also many more FXs than the real JV-1080 .
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

egbert101 wrote:I'm thinking of signing up for a month, and sampling some presets from the JV-1080 and D-50, rather than spend potentially $2400 over ten years.
Mainstage has Auto Sampler built in too. :hihi:
You are currently reading my signature.

Absolutely interested in the JV-1080 plugin. Absolutely not interested in the Roland Cloud. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I'm interested too, but one important question for me is: does it load JV 1080 Performance Sysex?

I have many projects with these dumps saved, it would be huge to know I can directly send them to the plugin and restore in it the same exact performance settings of the original hardware.

Thanks,
Mario

mabian wrote:I'm interested too, but one important question for me is: does it load JV 1080 Performance Sysex?

I have many projects with these dumps saved, it would be huge to know I can directly send them to the plugin and restore in it the same exact performance settings of the original hardware.

Thanks,
Mario
There is no Sysex import in teh JV-1080 plugin yet but with D-50 plugin they added it with the last update.

Anyway as mentioned in the Roland CLoud thread there might be a problem with Sysex import. One problem is that the JV-1080 plugin includes all 1083 PCM waveforms of the XV-3080/5080 and the JV-1080 waveforms while all inlucluded have a different waveform number in the list.

The FXs list has different numbers for the FXs and there are a lot more FXs incuded than in the JV-1080 (while there seem to be also several that are not inlcuded in the XV 3080/5080 synths).

So a JV-1800 bank Sysex import would need to correct the waveform and FXs numbers which might be possible somehow.

Besides that the JV-1080 seems to be monotimbral so it only loads a single patch at the same time. Anyway with a plugin in a DAW this is no big issue as you could use multiple instances.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”