how big is yours? ( The M42 Astronomy Thread)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lots of gaffer tape ...

slainte :oops: rob

damn i used the last of it celebrating my wedding anniversary :-o

vurt wrote:yes the top guy in question is mystahr 8)

and thanks tim,for the info,but the bit about long exposure pictures leads me to ask
is there any way to attach cameras to telescopes?
yes...you can even attach WEB CAMS and then use free software to process them. This has been a good method lately I heard. Unfortunatly, I am not the one to talk to about Astro-photograpy, as I am still hunting around Deep Sky Objects by hand and simply sketching them the 'ol fashioned way ( what a universe) Siccle can probably tell you about attaching a camera however.

TC

vurt,

here are some links you'll want for easy astrophotography with a webcam

a quick guide that shows how easy it can be to get reasonable images
just do a websearch on 'webcam astronomy' and you'll find lots of pages telling you how to mod your webcam, some even go as far as modding the circuitry to enable long exposures

a couple of freeware programs that do the image processing
astrostack
registax
registax is the one i intend using once i've ripped my webcam apart and bolted it on to a homemade adaptor. i'm trying not to screw up the camera for normal use as it currently serves as half of a pair used for motion capture, but that's another story.
i got chatting to some guy on a train a few months back who had some really good astro images he'd acquired with a webcam and registax, he demo'd registax to us on his laptop and it really is very good, that was what first set me off to try this

and a list of a few more

oh and another random link to some skycharts to get you started
surf the night sky

thanks all 8)
im looking forward to it coming now,im not sure ill get any great images to be honest we dont get many clear nights in the uk
but last year i watched an asteroid shower i think it was with the naked eye :-o but that would have been coolererer with a cam and telescope as i want to start putting images with my tracks,and im sure anyone who had heard my stuff would agree it fits 8)

yes im stoned so im wittering on
but its also cos im quite excited about it :hyper:

but last year i watched an asteroid shower i think it was with the naked eye
to be honest that's the best way, or a light pair of binoculars, that and plenty of beers and lots of floyd (or vurt)

:oops:

"vurt - music to watch the stars by"

:oops: :oops:

Hengy .... Great Links .... thanks!!!

That first one is a great article on astrocams!

I too am in the process of doing this ..... But, i need a Laptop to start....heh

And now i want one of those Philips Vesta cams.

Off to search them or similiar now... :-)
anybody got one?

Vurt .... Just don't expect too much out of a 60 mm..
The 60mm refers to the lens size and is basically a starting point. The larger the size of the Lens, the more light it collects and thus you get brighter images and you can go higher powers.

I use a 150mm Lens and even i get discouraged at times ... Most objects that are cool to see like the Nebulaes and Galaxies are very faint .... but there are a few that will show in a 60mm .... The Orion Nebulae M42 happens to be one that you will see on a Dark night in a 60mm, It looks very cool the first time you see it.... To the Naked eye it appears as a star but in the telescope at Lower powers it becomes a big Fuzzy ball of Light...Just remember for these type of space items you want to use Low Powered eyepieces. There are other Star clusters and Nebulae that are also good in a 60mm.
You will also be able to see the rings of Saturn and Jupiter and a few of its moons in your 60mm.

You might get Aperture Lust in a short time...
It is like Gear Lust but involves Glass Lens. :wink: :wink:

To the Universe and Beyond!!

Just did some surfing...
The Philips ToUcam 840
It appears that this is the cam everyone wants now for imaging.
This page has some Great info and Links on it.

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/ ... hilips.htm

It appears to be hard to find in USA or Canada though
ScopeTronix.com has them with adapters for $169 US
I need to find one already in Canada now but it seems a bit high in price

This guys site is Great too ....More Links than I can ever surf ...heh

http://astro.ai-software.com/

The first site also linked to this which is a Great Read also on the Cam.

http://www.cloudynights.com/astrophotog ... oucam2.htm

Cheers

Aperture Lust
:lol: :lol:
how true

manytone wrote:
You might get Aperture Lust in a short time...
It is like Gear Lust but involves Glass Lens. :wink: :wink:
Not even the same beast, manytone..you get aperture lust & you wind up with an 11 inch Shmidt Cassgerain on a $5,000 german EQ..

For video astronomy, try the Astrovid stuff. If you wanna get HARDCORE, try SBIG CCD astroimaging..you're talking HUGE dollars there, but you can get stuff on a CCD chip in one minute that would take hypered film 1 hour that would take 'pushed' 100 speed 10 hours. Break these down into composite RGB captures & recombine em in Photoshop or one of the specialty imaging apps & you have the universe at your finger tips & your life savings gone forever..

must ignore Siren Song..must not return to active observing..no, no, bad, bad..

sickle666 wrote:
manytone wrote:
must ignore Siren Song..must not return to active observing..no, no, bad, bad..

The siren song IS calling : YOU MUST RETURN TO ACTIVE OBSERVING. GOOD... GOOOOD for you..YESSSS...my Precioussss! :lol:

Actually...I STILL think you should 'cause it's in your blood, and when it's there..it's hard to get it out...just like Music.FACE IT..the Stars are Calling you!
:-o :shock: 8)

but yeah...it can get expensive if you want it too...but the stars for looking is free!and you don't need a 35" Dob with a go-to system and the best CCD equipment to see 'em. Just like if you had to..you could get by with just Synth 1 :-)

TC

tconrardy wrote:. Just like if you had to..you could get by with just Synth 1 :-)

TC

id need at least vurtbox and M42 fx version as well :D

Return to “AlgoMusic”