How to finish a track?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are so many tutorials on making beats but after i make a beat i get stuck. How do I progress and make a whole song? Any advice or resources?

tasemeagain wrote:There are so many tutorials on making beats but after i make a beat i get stuck. How do I progress and make a whole song? Any advice or resources?
I'd recommend stopping watching videos on how to make 'beats', and start watching videos on how to write music :shrug:

Check this book out very good IMO:

https://makingmusic.ableton.com/
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

This is the problem with working in "loop mode"; the more time you spend looping a region, the more you perfect that region to work as a loop instead of to take you to the next part of a song.

Study the structures of pieces of music you like. Don't spend too long on one part of a song until you have a larger structure in place.

You've hit one of the big challenges of composing music here, it isn't easy!

Some stuff here;

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... cks-640305

In my view, the first is by far the most important; stop f**king about and finish it, even if it's shite.

Stop making beats and make actual choruses and verses instead, start with chorus, your main theme or whatever your music got.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

1. Have an idea of what you want to achieve before you get started
2. Prepare lots of material before you actually get down to arrangement
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Talent.

In my case, I had to think about why I need a "track" in the first place -

I like doing this as a hobby, I don't usually produce "tracks" for others to listen to anyway, I have tons of short passages that I like the sound of, or were used for trialing things or trying combinations of plugin effects or just trying to get it to sound decent or all of the above; I don't do this for a living nor do I want to at this point.

If I feel the need to have a finished track I may take the advice listed here but most of the time I don't bother because the only one I'm doing this for is myself (and myself doesn't really need any "tracks")

Render a suitable length of your loop (about the length of a verse), put it in your music player, turn off the computer, listen to it in another context and try to imagine a natural continuation when it ends. You don't even need to actually listen to it if it's firmly lodged in your head. When you have a worthwhile idea for a development, return to the computer and try to put it together. You may fail to get it exactly as you'd planned, but at least you're going places.

Also, join the monthly KVR contest. A final date for submission is a great motivator.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Talent.
...and imagination.

Googly Smythe wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Talent.
...and imagination.
I often imagine I have more talent than I actually have. Wouldn’t mind it being the other way round. :hihi:
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How to finish a track?
-Put fadeout effect to the track, then the track is finished :)

tasemeagain wrote:There are so many tutorials on making beats but after i make a beat i get stuck. How do I progress and make a whole song? Any advice or resources?
A little info about yourself would be useful. Do you play an instrument, for example? When you say "make a beat", what do you mean by that?

There are no easy solutions to this question. Whatever path you choose will require much application and much time. Music is an art, music making is a craft. Music should be in your soul.
As for me, I don't even open my DAW unless I have a very good idea of what I want to do. Melodies and song frameworks pop into my head from the nth dimension, or so it seems, because I'm buggered if I know where my ideas come from. Only then do I start recording.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”